How to watch replay from external view?

Harlikwin

As the title says. I can't seem to figure this out, I can refly the mission in the internal cockpit but can't switch to an external view or a from other units view. I really want to make a collection of vids of my Harrier "landings" mainly for the LULZ....

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

hmm thats weird. You should just be able to press F2 like normal and view from the outside. Do you have external views disabled in the game or mission options?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Ok, its weird, sometimes it works, other times not... Usually a restart fixes it. And no, no special options.

The other weird thing happening now is that some of my landings are now turning into crashes on the replay...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I find that external views dont work if if you save the track first. Only save after choosing your external views. The views chosen will show in the replay.

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

I tried to watch a playback track the other day for the first time in maybe a year. They never worked for spit so I just never used it. But I figured that maybe they may have patched it. But it seems to have gotten worse. I could only watch it from the initial views that I played the mission in. I was not able to do any external views or even turn my head to see or check anything.

So OP.....I understand your plight.

Oh....and no I did not save the track first.

The other weird thing happening now is that some of my landings are now turning into crashes on the replay...

Not surprising. Every update that changes some aspect of the aircraft in question or its environment can alter a track files’ playback. That’s its Achilles heel.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Noob here and watching my carrier landing tracks was instrumental in helping to trap.

I really like ..taking control at a certain point....like on final and making corrections to trap better without having to re-fly the entire session.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

23 yrs USAF MSgt retired AMMO Munitions Tech

Red Flag 4 times

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.7, FE RTX 2070 Super, 32 gig ddr 4 @2933, 500gig m.2...850 evo 240 ssd, 1 tb 7200rpm storage drive, X56 HOTAS,

Track Ir 5-retired....HP Reverb v2...VR

F 16C blk 50

F/A-18C lot 20

Community A-4E

Mirage 2000

Noob here and watching my carrier landing tracks was instrumental in helping to trap.

I really like ..taking control at a certain point....like on final and making corrections to trap better without having to re-fly the entire session.

Make yourself a small mission and place 2 client aircraft at the desired altitude, speed, and heading relative to the carrier. After you nail the trap, just hit Escape, select the other aircraft, and do it again, and again, etc...

• Thanks 1

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 4 months later...
So what is the best way to watch a track from an external view. Watching my track in VR while I look around at everything is very sickening and hard on the stomach.

Please advise. Ty!

Make 2 different "config.lua" files. One with a decent 2D-setup, one with your VR-settings.

Then just deactivate the "config.lua" you don't need by changing the file-name.

In my config-folder there are 2 config.lua files

config.4K.lua <--- delete the ".4K" to activate it and play in 2D-mode

config.VR.lua <--- delete the ".VR" to activate it and play in VR-mode

Note: always make sure that there is just one config file active!

This is the way I'm watching my replays.

Edited by JumpinK
typos

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Make 2 different "config.lua" files. One with a decent 2D-setup, one with your VR-settings.

Then just deactivate the "config.lua" you don't need by changing the file-name.

In my config-folder there are 2 config.lua files

config.4K.lua <--- delete the ".4K" to activate it and play in 2D-mode

config.VR.lua <--- delete the ".VR" to activate it and play in VR-mode

Note: always make sure that there is just one config file active!

This is the way I'm watching my replays.

Thank you very much kind sir. A wonderfully polite helpful being from another dimension just came to my door and spoke the most polite giberish.

LOL, seriously though my friend, very kind of you to reply but what on earth does all that mean. Can I watch a track while in VR and then just "take over?" Why isn't that an easily accomplished task?

1 - Can that be done? My goodness.

2 - If not, I Guess I HAVE to learn what the above means?

Thanks though bud

Thank you very much kind sir. A wonderfully polite helpful being from another dimension just came to my door and spoke the most polite giberish.

LOL, seriously though my friend, very kind of you to reply but what on earth does all that mean. Can I watch a track while in VR and then just "take over?" Why isn't that an easily accomplished task?

1 - Can that be done? My goodness.

2 - If not, I Guess I HAVE to learn what the above means?

Thanks though bud

You cannot take over from VR and watch your replays in 2D on your monitor while DCS is still running.

You have to save your replays to watch them in 2D later.

Welcome to DCS, sir! ;)

Well, maybe I can guide you through this one...

In your saved games folder on your PC (C:\Users\YourUsername\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config) there should be a file named "config.lua" which contains every graphic-option you set in the game.

1. Rename the file to "config.VR.lua" to deactivate it.

2. Now run DCS and set graphic options to a suitable 2D-experience for your PC.

3. Exit DCS and look into the \config folder. There should be a new config.lua file which now contains the configuration for your 2D-replays.

4. Rename it to "config.2D.lua"

Now you have 2 config files. One for playing, one for watching replays.

5. To activate the configuration you want just rename the corresponding file back to "config.lua" and DCS will load it.

That's the way I watch my replays and it's a quick solution to switch from VR into 2D mode and vice versa.

Hope this helps a little.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

You cannot take over from VR and watch your replays in 2D on your monitor while DCS is still running.

You have to save your replays to watch them in 2D later.

Welcome to DCS, sir! ;)

Well, maybe I can guide you through this one...

In your saved games folder on your PC (C:\Users\YourUsername\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config) there should be a file named "config.lua" which contains every graphic-option you set in the game.

1. Rename the file to "config.VR.lua" to deactivate it.

2. Now run DCS and set graphic options to a suitable 2D-experience for your PC.

3. Exit DCS and look into the \config folder. There should be a new config.lua file which now contains the configuration for your 2D-replays.

4. Rename it to "config.2D.lua"

Now you have 2 config files. One for playing, one for watching replays.

5. To activate the configuration you want just rename the corresponding file back to "config.lua" and DCS will load it.

That's the way I watch my replays and it's a quick solution to switch from VR into 2D mode and vice versa.

Hope this helps a little.

I'm confused. Do you talk about the Options.lua? Don't have a config.lua in the Config folder. Why don't you use the DCS Updater GUI: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053&highlight=Updater+utility?

I use the presets to switch between VR & NonVR. Very easy to use.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Yes. I'm very sorry. Of course i meant options.lua. my mistake. It's options.lua not config.lua (i will correct that in my post)

This is just for switching betweeen VR/2D mode fast without having to set up all the values in the ootions menu over and over again.

Hey guys, ok. So, I haven't even attempted any of this yet because I ALLLMOST was able to solve this. Looking around Youtube I found this video of a guy who uses DCS mission editor to load up a trak, then simply configure the trak in the mission editor to allow external views, then save the trak again. Close mission editor, go to "replays" inside DCS and then once you load up the trak you can simply press F2 and BOOM, you are outside your plane, no VR motion sickness, you can control z for 5 minutes and BAM, you are back where you were in the mission.

Problem is, this worked all day yesterday. Today, after countless attemps, I can't get this to work again.

1 - Based on the above, any ideas? Any solutions?

2 - I love the whole options.lu thing you mentioned along with the other guy here who just mentioned using the DCS Updater GUI. Cool, but seems a bit complicated. That alone will be hours of tinkering.

3 - Here is my goal. For example, I'm playing the F-14 Instant action Persion Gulf summer of 88 mission. Here's the thing, you have to take off from the carrier and fly 100 miles until you meet the targets. Then, typically, I'm dead pretty quickly. In order to "try again" I literally have to fly the mission again, maybe control z to that point (which is kinda lame), and then try again. It's exhausting.

Based on 3, isn't there for God's sake SOOOME easier way to just save where I am in a mission and pick it up there? Some solution to save time retrying? This is so tedious I can't believe there isn't a solution yet to help bring more people into DCS. Invincibility is lame so I don't want to go that route.....there has to be some easy way without becoming a DCS programmer?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

External views in replay

I too am having this problem of not being able to switch to external view during playbacks. I could do this up until about a month or two ago ( not sure)with no problem. I did not change any mission settings or have to alter any .lua files I could simply replay the mission and change views. It's strange that watching from the cockpit causes me a little initial nausea also.

This worked automatically until recently. I still have 1.5.8 installed as I still like it and run it occasionally. I ran a mission in 1.5.8 and did a replay. I was able to change from cockpit to outside views in the replay without any issues. Perhaps this option is broken or has been dropped from 2.5. I didn't have to edit or change anything , it just worked.

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD