Upgrading from 980ti

I just hope that the 3GB missing and the at best same memory bandwidth will not void the benefits in DCS.

QUOTE:

..... and by and large better performance of the 2080 over the 1080ti.

END:

The reviews I have read state a 0-10% average performance gain across recent games. I dont call this large, it's actually nothing to very little.

I read Guru3d and hardocp for reviews, you may give those a try, no offense.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I just hope that the 3GB missing and the at best same memory bandwidth will not void the benefits in DCS.

QUOTE:

..... and by and large better performance of the 2080 over the 1080ti.

END:

The reviews I have read state a 0-10% average performance gain across recent games. I dont call this large, it's actually nothing to very little.

I read Guru3d and hardocp for reviews, you may give those a try, no offense.

What offence, if you are happy with 1080ti you shouldn`t feel the need or pressure to upgrade, it`s a perfectly good card. As I said, in your position I wouldn`t upgrade and you shouldn`t feel the need to be on the bleeding edge tech wise. You are not that far behind the 2080 in performance unless DLSS and other VR tech increases that gap on implementation.

I agree the 2080ti would not be good upgrade for you on a cost/performance ratio and the 1080ti seems to serve your needs as it stands. I`m sure Nvidia will keep trading in the meantime and you can upgrade to the more modern tech with the next gen.

Edited by Zoomer

Hi All,

I'm see a lot of stuttering in VR on my current GPU (980ti), I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade.

In my area store supplies of the 1080ti are running out - fast, so I'd like your opinions on whether I should get one of the last remaining 1080ti or go for the 2080.

I'm not fussed on the RTX feature of the 20XX series cards, but I'm leaning towards the 2080 only because of generational driver support.

Cheers.

I have the 980TI and have started seeing stuttering in Oculus, but it wont be the card, trying to find a thread in the forum on what it could be.

i7-7700K

GTX980TI

16GB DDR4 RAM

M.2 Samsung boot drive

1TB SSD

4K Monitor

Oculus Rift

Thrustmaster Warthog

• 2 weeks later...

Just to round out this discussion, I appreciate all the posts guys.

I've been running the 2080 now for a few weeks now without any issues. While the 2080 VRAM is at 8GB, it is GDDR 6 not GDDR 5 and I've been getting buttery smooth frame rates in VR with pretty much all settings on HIGH.

As for the 1080ti, when I went to place my order 2 of the stores had already ran out completely, the last store only had 2 models left and they were reference clocked cards which I stay clear of.

In the end I got the MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio, and so far I'm actually pretty happy with it, it's giving me the performance what I wanted for DCS in VR.

Cheers.

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2