DCS Resolution Launcher (DReLa) by Bailey

Bailey

Have you ever launched DCS to only realize that you launched it in the wrong resolution for whatever reason? Maybe testing, mission making, or you are on a different monitor, or you don’t feel like using triple screen today? Well, this is the utility for you! Launch DReLa, choose your resolution, and enjoy DCS without having to launch DCS twice.

I am very open to input on how to make this utility better for you.

DReLa v3:

rt0g3e2.jpg

ED UserFiles Download: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312032/

Thank you to Captain Bird of the Hoggit Discord for the tips and idea for this utility. Thank you to those of the ED Forums for the feedback. If you have any comments, concerns, wishes, or just want to say Hi, contact me via Discord: Bailey#6230.

Please feel free to donate. All donations go to making more free DCS utilities and mods for the community!

https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/asherao

Enjoy!

If you would like to examine, follow, or add to DReLa, the git is here: https://github.com/asherao/DCS-Resolution-Launcher--DReLa-

~Bailey

30AUG2020

Help / Readmee

noADDrf.jpg

Edited by Bailey

Custom resolutions should be possible added/removed from the list. Same way all (except last one) should be possible be removed from the presets.

Offer one default preset as 1024x768 for backup reasons, and everything else to be added by the user for own purposes.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1440p is: 2560 x 1440

This is very cool, Are you able to reference the 3 custom set ups with the monitor file?

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Custom resolutions should be possible added/removed from the list. Same way all (except last one) should be possible be removed from the presets.

Offer one default preset as 1024x768 for backup reasons, and everything else to be added by the user for own purposes.

Good idea.

DReLa as a now look and more features thanks to the input from reece146 and Fri13!

DReLa v2

-Removed resolution buttons

-Rearranged GUI

-Added list of resolutions

-User can now input multiple resolutions

-Multiple resolutions can be saved

-Added dropdown preset resolutions

Enjoy DReLa v2 here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312032/

~Bailey

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this 4 times with confirming file paths and resolution, DCS launches at my desktop resolution of 1680 x 1050, when i usually change the resolution for DCS before launching it to 3840 x 1600.

DCS.exe path= C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe

Options.lua path= C:\Users\My Name Here\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua

Custom Resolution added 3840 x 1600

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I tried this 4 times with confirming file paths and resolution, DCS launches at my desktop resolution of 1680 x 1050, when i usually change the resolution for DCS before launching it to 3840 x 1600.

DCS.exe path= C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe

Options.lua path= C:\Users\My Name Here\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua

Custom Resolution added 3840 x 1600

1. Check to make sure you are not in full screen mode in DCS.

2. After attempting another DCS launch, post the width and height values from the options.lua, please.

DCS is NOT in Full Screen Mode

Option.lua reads resolution as:

["graphics"] = {

["DOF"] = 0,

["LensEffects"] = 0,

["MSAA"] = 2,

["SSAA"] = 0,

["SSAO"] = 0,

["SSLR"] = 0,

["anisotropy"] = 4,

["aspect"] = 2.4,

["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 1,

["civTraffic"] = "",

["clouds"] = 1,

["clutterMaxDistance"] = 1500,

["cockpitGI"] = 1,

["effects"] = 3,

["flatTerrainShadows"] = 0,

["forestDistanceFactor"] = 1,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["height"] = 1600,

["lights"] = 2,

["messagesFontScale"] = 1.5,

["motionBlur"] = 0,

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",

["outputGamma"] = 1.6,

["preloadRadius"] = 150000,

["rainDroplets"] = 1,

["scaleGui"] = 1,

["shadowTree"] = false,

["shadows"] = 4,

["sync"] = false,

["terrainTextures"] = "max",

["textures"] = 2,

["treesVisibility"] = 6000,

["useDeferredShading"] = 1,

["visibRange"] = "Extreme",

["water"] = 2,

["width"] = 3840,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

DCS is NOT in Full Screen Mode

Option.lua reads resolution as:

["graphics"] = {

["DOF"] = 0,

["LensEffects"] = 0,

["MSAA"] = 2,

["SSAA"] = 0,

["SSAO"] = 0,

["SSLR"] = 0,

["anisotropy"] = 4,

["aspect"] = 2.4,

["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 1,

["civTraffic"] = "",

["clouds"] = 1,

["clutterMaxDistance"] = 1500,

["cockpitGI"] = 1,

["effects"] = 3,

["flatTerrainShadows"] = 0,

["forestDistanceFactor"] = 1,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["height"] = 1600,

["lights"] = 2,

["messagesFontScale"] = 1.5,

["motionBlur"] = 0,

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",

["outputGamma"] = 1.6,

["preloadRadius"] = 150000,

["rainDroplets"] = 1,

["scaleGui"] = 1,

["shadowTree"] = false,

["shadows"] = 4,

["sync"] = false,

["terrainTextures"] = "max",

["textures"] = 2,

["treesVisibility"] = 6000,

["useDeferredShading"] = 1,

["visibRange"] = "Extreme",

["water"] = 2,

["width"] = 3840,

Ok, so DReLa is modifying the file. That's good. How do you know that DCS is actually at your desktop resolution?

Because I only see about a 3rd of the DCS screen when I launch it. Perhaps I am mis-understanding the intent of this app? I was expecting this app save me the step of having to change monitor resolutions manually every time i want to go from using my typical desktop applications to playing DCS. With my desktop resolution set at 1680 x 1050, I have to open up windows display properties and change the desktop resolution to 3840 x 1600 for the desktop before I can launch DCS. I was hoping this app did this for me? I may be wrong about that it seems? And as far as I am concerned, my graphics options are already set for 3840 x 1600, and I believe that is what is reflected in the options lua i sent you above, thats what I set.

Edited by Fakum

Because I only see about a 3rd of the DCS screen when I launch it. Perhaps I am mis-understanding the intent of this app? I was expecting this app save me the step of having to change monitor resolutions manually every time i want to go from using my typical desktop applications to playing DCS. With my desktop resolution set at 1680 x 1050, I have to open up windows display properties and change the desktop resolution to 3840 x 1600 for the desktop before I can launch DCS. I was hoping this app did this for me? I may be wrong about that it seems? And as far as I am concerned, my graphics options are already set for 3840 x 1600, and I believe that is what is reflected in the options lua i sent you above, thats what I set.

Ah, ok, I see there is some misunderstanding. The intent of the app is to change the resolution of DCS, not your computer display. If you tell DCS to have a resolution of 3840 x 1600 and your PC is currently set at a resolution of 1680 x 1050, then if you see only a third of DCS, then DReLa actually worked correctly and as designed. If you want to change your PC Desktop Windows Resolution, you will have to use the Display Settings in Windows, as you described.

Ok,,, I misunderstood. But I dont understand why you would need an app to change the resolution of DCS when all you have to do is set it in DCS and leave it alone? Ehhh,, Thanks for the help though.

Ok,,, I misunderstood. But I dont understand why you would need an app to change the resolution of DCS when all you have to do is set it in DCS and leave it alone? Ehhh,, Thanks for the help though.

I'll use myself as an example. I play DCS in one resolution, but I make DCS mods in a smaller, windowed resolution. If I wanted to switch from one to the other, that would mean I would have to load DCS, change the resolution, and then wait for DCS to re-load. For many people, that can take quite a while. For most people DReLa is a faster solution.

Ahh,, I see,,, thanks

If I launch DCS @ 1440p on my external screen I get a GUI If I launch at 1080p on the laptop screen In dont. this app is a godsend, though until I can properly adjust my GUI view port I am stuck.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

If I launch DCS @ 1440p on my external screen I get a GUI If I launch at 1080p on the laptop screen In dont. this app is a godsend, though until I can properly adjust my GUI view port I am stuck.

Hmmm, reading your comment just now has me curious if and how I would add a field to enter and select your desired monitor.lua....

I'll try to let you know if I get a breakthrough.

Hey, give this a try

Let me know if it works for you, shu77.

Hey, give this a try

Let me know if it works for you, shu77.

Yes, this is awesome, solves the problems of multiple screen set ups completely, thanks

cw1.png

Yes, this is awesome, solves the problems of multiple screen set ups completely, thanks

Awesome. DReLa v3 Released

-Added "Monitor.lua" picker

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312032/

• 2 years later...

Does this still work?  I keep getting an error after selecting my savegames options.lua file.  It's a Denied Access error, and then the app says "It looks like you did not select the correct file."

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download