Can you "fake" a radar missile launch?

WelshZeCorgi

I wonder if RL fighters can "fake" a radar missile launch, as the radar uses a mode to guide the missile that is also picked up by RWRs, giving you that warning alarm when a fox one is fired.

I wonder if you can fake a radar missile launch by putting the radar into the same mode it goes into in order to guide the missile, but not actually fire the missile.

I think it would be a useful tool, forcing a opponent defensive when there's no missile in the air, allowing you to close the distance and fire a real missile with a higher PK, giving you the option to save missiles that otherwise have no chance to hit.

Well, in this day and age you have TWS which typically doesn't trigger the same stuff, so whether they get a launch warning or not, depending on what's locking them they'll probably assume they're being shot at anyway.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The problem with that reasoning is a), you also likely have an inbound missile to defend, and b) IRL you defend based on MAR, not whether you have a missile launch warning, as you cannot depend on missiles giving an initial warning. IRL you arent gonna go "more defensive" because you have a launch warning than without. You are going to assume he has launched unless you can absolutely prove he hasnt, initial launch warning or not.

In the DCS environment, against lower SA opponents it would be somewhat useful, but IRL, or even in DCS against opponents with decent SA and knowledge of stuff like MAR I doubt it would be very effective.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Would not be surprised if at least older fighters were able to do that. SAMs, like the S-75 were definetely able to do that and did employ those tactics.

In a modern environment this is rather not effictive though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, Flode Mode causes RWRs of other aircraft to indicate a missile launch.

Try it out:

Step 1) Jump in an F-15 on a busy MP server

Step 2) Point your nose at some aircraft and activate flood mode (works best with A-10Cs as they're often in CMS AUTO mode)

Step 3) Enjoy

:D

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Would not be surprised if at least older fighters were able to do that. SAMs, like the S-75 were definetely able to do that and did employ those tactics.

In a modern environment this is rather not effictive though.

SAM systems can do that. You simply "flip the switch" to disable real launch and you are just performing the "simulated launch" with all bells and whistles. The target can not know is it being launched upon or not, only to confirm that launch has happened if spotting the smoke trail coming at it.

Our SAM systems in DCS are inferior to real ones. There is no proper missile flight dynamics modeled (really ED, CFD should be finally be done for the SAM missiles as well!), no proper guidance methods, no logic for the launches and tactics etc. ED should really have their time to get them properly done now when they are developing them as well to better use.

A properly done SAM and AAA units would end the "air-quake" actions that are on multiplayer as one couldn't anymore just fly example inside S-300 cover and launch AIM-120 to aircraft taking-off as they would not have any means to survive anywhere near S-300 system.

What comes to fighters radar systems, one could always at least carry a Training Missile that doesn't leave the rail but will generate real missile guidance and all via radar :D

It would be fun to fool people from launches that doesn't happen and save missiles for real launches.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Step 1) Jump in an F-15 on a busy MP server

Step 2) Point your nose at some aircraft and activate flood mode (works best with A-10Cs as they're often in CMS AUTO mode)

Step 3) Enjoy

:D

That clip was hilarious, I like how that taxing F-15 just flipped and crashed.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

I wonder if RL fighters can "fake" a radar missile launch, as the radar uses a mode to guide the missile that is also picked up by RWRs, giving you that warning alarm when a fox one is fired.

I wonder if you can fake a radar missile launch by putting the radar into the same mode it goes into in order to guide the missile, but not actually fire the missile.

I think it would be a useful tool, forcing a opponent defensive when there's no missile in the air, allowing you to close the distance and fire a real missile with a higher PK, giving you the option to save missiles that otherwise have no chance to hit.

Yup. SA-2s could do this and the systems on an SR-71 could pick up the radar talking to the missile. It was only when the missile replied that they knew it was a real launch. A pilot tells a story of this happening over the Korean DMZ in the '70s, the video is somewhere on YouTube.