TGP and Maverick for Air to Air?

melchionda

Does anyone use the Maverick for Air to Air? Every now and then I'm on a mission where there is a red aircraft flying and I'd like to take it out but its to far for the Sidewinder. Are we supposed to use the TGP and the Maverick for that? I've heard that the Maverick is too slow and is often not successful for Air to Air and that I should save it for a ground target. Anyone use Mavericks for air targets or is that not recommended?

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Does anyone use the Maverick for Air to Air?

Yes, Viggen pilots. They do that quite a lot for some reason. :huh:

Warthogs not so much, at least I haven't seen them doing it much.

Personally I'm not really using Mavericks for A2A as it's an air to ground missile, although a few months ago I was chasing an enemy back to his base and as he was flying away from me in a straight line and was out of range for my sidewinders, I did launch a Maverick at him and it struck him just before he touched down :music_whistling:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I already shot down a few choppers with Maveriks, but I don't know if that happens IRL. :huh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

AGM-65

AGM = Air to Ground Missile

So, some might try to make use of it as an A/ A weapon, it is not intended to be used in such way.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

I’m torn by your question. In a computer science way, asking if DCS allows an maverick missile to be effective as A2A: I’m intrigued; it may be possible, but at best you are hacking the system. If realistic combat scenario: hard no. A-10s would avoid air to air whenever possible. They are well equipped to defend themselves when provoked but not with Mavs.

When in doubt, listen to @Stuka :)

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

this was a thing back when DCS only had the A10C and black shark as the only full fidelity modules you could get a lock and nose up before launch to get the MAV loft to make the kill but that has since been Nerfed you can still get a lock but odd of getting a hit is not good it will not loft at all now