Still Flying Version 1.5.8

Because I would have to spend some big $ to upgrade my PC to be able to fly version 2.5 and hope it flies without problems, I have opted to stay with version 1.5.8 until all the bugs are worked out. Will DCS continue to maintain 1.5.8? For example: will the upgrades to the Spitfire IX (I think promised at end of June)........ as well as existing modules updates be available to those that still fly 1.5.8?

BadBud

I think that it is sad that we flyers of 1.5.8 who paid the same as those able to fly 2.5, for modules and now may not be able to enjoy any fixes or whatever that are made to those existing modules. I for one, have most of the modules (no helos) and of course want to see any changes that should be available to all DCS flyers, both 2.5 and 1.5.8 users. I may never see the Nevada map that I pre-paid/ordered a long year ago if I decline to update to version 2.5.........................which is a real consideration. Luckily, I did not pre-order the Normandy map!

If true, the answer here to my question, it is a bad decision for DCS!

BadBud

What hardware are you running DCS on? I found that going from 1.5.8 to 2.5 that 2.5 was running better on my computer than 1.5.8. Why dont you just download 2.5 open beta and see how well it runs on your system? You can have both installed at the same time.

Edited by SWE-Timberwolf

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

@badbud.. post your specs, someone may offer some good advice for you.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• ED Team

As others have mentioned 1.5.8 is a legacy build, DCS will continue to evolve and get better and better as new technologies get introduced.

Some users are running 2.5 on pretty low spec machines, post your specs we may be able to help.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have 1.5.8, Open Beta and Release...Release is still a problem for me, but after a couple months (from release of Release) for some reason Open Beta started working properly. I still spend most of my flying time on 1.5.8 just because I have no worries about lockups, stutters etc.

I’m just a bit scarred from my initial attempts at flying Open Beta even though it’s currently working right.

All that being said...technology moves on, eventually everyone has to upgrade their system.

I`m running DCS with pretty low specs (just the minimum )and I have installed 1.5.x and the OB 2.5.2.

If you don`t set the in game options too high in the OB, you can fly misions and enjoy the new caucasus map. It`s much better than the old one.

One advantage for me is, I could use mods that didn`t run in 1.5.x.

It takes some time to load the OB and of course you will have some stutter now and then, but for me it runs most of the time with 30 FPS.

Not a dream, but still have fun with it.

P.S.

Will get a new rig in a few month.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Today I've posted a similar question on the following thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207163&page=4 found via Google. I've now noticed that it was in the Open Beta sub-forum while I have a stable version and besides this thread seems to be more proper to me. Could someone please move the post here?

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

PC specs:

CPU Intel Core i7

Memory (RAN): 8 GB

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 570 1.2 GB

Power Supply TT 750W TR2

64-bit operating system

BadBud

Whatever gen of i7 you have it's not a bad CPU, but 570 is an old graphic card. To upgrade your RAM with additional 8 GB and change your VGA with a 1060 6 GB should be enough to enjoy all the new and improved features of DCS. Maybe you could expand now your RAM and wait a couple of months for the next nvidia VGA; with the same price which you can buy now a 1060 6GB, you could have a way better VGA.

HEY GUYYYYYYS

I've decided to give it a try and updated!!

It only downloaded 15 GB and I've tried it and it works‼

I attach my settings, they are the ones I had before updating to 2.5... it's for sure different from 1.5: the Spitfire looks having different colors and so do the SU 33 and its carrier. It doesn't seem to me that I'm seeing less details than before, it really seems that it's at the same level.

I had to check whether a spinning top stopped or not because I thought I was dreaming :lol:.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet because right now I am a little busy but at least now I can try multiplayer.

I'm one of yours now!!!!!! :pilotfly:

Update:

I've tried my usual missions: 3 F15s vs 3 Su27s, Landing the Su33, Spitfire vs P51 (the 109 is still a too tough enemy ihih) etc. and they work properly.

I have good looking graphics and I've also enabled the rain droplets. Lagging occurs sometimes but quite rarely.

The problem is that I've tried and joined a couple of crowded multiplayer servers and DCS crashes in the briefing process. Task Manager tells me that, when it does, the RAM is almost all used, so I guess that with 16 GB or maybe at least 12 I could solve the problem. Yes, I have an OEM PSU, but some more RAM should only take some watts. I don't know how to check how much graphics memory is being used.

I also think that I'll buy the Harrier, since so far it seems to work when I'm not doing multiplayer.

2nd Update: I've installed the Harrier and it works fine; now it's my job to fly it fine!

3rd Update: After having found out the R-Ctrl+Pause command which lets me see the FPS, I've found out that I get about 15-20 FPS with the Harrier and 10-15 with the Spitfire. I'm little sensitive to FPS; I just noticed that with 2.5 it felt a little less smooth, so that's why I checked. I also tried and disabled anti aliasing gaining 5 FPS, but I could really tell the difference because the "stairway effect" was a lot more noticeable with AA disabled, so now I still keep MSAA 2X on. I love the look of the game I'm used to, so I doubt I'll set the textures to low and for me the FPS I have now are a little problem. I still say that playing with my specs is sensible.

I think that learning how to use and control the aircrafts better would be more pleasant than having 80 FPS, but I have to say that I'd appreciate something more, so I'm not saying that better rigs aren't useful.

My specs are:

Pre-built Asus CM6870:

The motherboard should be a poorer version of the P8H77-M PRO; reading the manual, it looks similar to what I have.

Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz

8 GB DDR3

1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

AcBel HBA005-ZA2GT 350; it gives a peak of 350W for 30 seconds or 300 continously

240 GB SSD

Windows 8.1

4th update, december 2018:

I have upgraded my GPU to a 1050 Ti (the one having 4 GB and I also upgraded my PSU) and DCS now runs way better. In the same missions where I used to get about 20 FPS I now get 50-60, still with hi settings. I joined two MP servers and I have good FPS but it takes some minutes to load the first session and in the first minutes of the first session I have some bad stutter. Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the upgrade.

settings.thumb.jpg.abb3c144d6dc74616a337701f63b602d.jpg

Edited by BlackLightning
Update!

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer