land base ILS system

salling772

Expeditionary Growlers have airfield ILS. The Blue Angels do as well. That is it for the US variants. Non US Hornets may have it depending on the country.

A Growler is not a legacy Hornet. If my memory servers, Super Hornets, which the Growler is just a variant of, have ILS. However legacy Hornets, outside of the Blue Angles which almost never landed on the boat due to the high trap times, did not have ILS. This Hornet we have is modeled off of a USN mid 2000’s legacy Hornet. Sorry bud, your reference is just bad at best.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find it amazing we have Hornets without ILS capability. It’s just such a fundamental solution and something that seems like it would be incredibly useful if going somewhere other than the boat. I guess you could just slap in the 430 and associated hardware and you’d be all set :), with extra VHF radios to boot.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

I find it amazing we have Hornets without ILS capability. It’s just such a fundamental solution and something that seems like it would be incredibly useful if going somewhere other than the boat. I guess you could just slap in the 430 and associated hardware and you’d be all set :), with extra VHF radios to boot.

Today’s US Hornets now have its own RNAV certification and can fly GPS approaches. This was a very recent addition.

Just go to post #4 in this thread, download the mod and try it. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3827951&postcount=4

Personally I consider this a "nice to have". I will probably use it just a couple of times to see how it works. But in general I find it's more fun to find the air field using TACAN. With fog or low cloud cover that may take a few attempts and that's real fun.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

That's only the Super Hornets, as far as I've heard.

The Super Hornet got it a few years ago. The Hornet got it a few months ago with the latest software.

Edited by G B

Damn, you weren’t kidding when you said “very recent.” That’s good to hear, then, if the Marine Corps really isn’t done flying them for another 10 years.

Not just the Marines. VFA-106, VFA-204, VFC-12, and NADWC, are all flying them for the foreseeable future, as well the Blue Angels for a couple of years. They should get good use out of the new features too!

Today’s US Hornets now have its own RNAV certification and can fly GPS approaches. This was a very recent addition.

Any idea if it is certified for the approaches requiring glidepath assistance (LPV) that allows you to go down to 200' mins?

I foresee most military aircraft upgrading to RNAV in the near future. The FAA is getting rid of a ton of NAVAIDS such as NDB, VORTACs, and even ILS in the next few years. NDBs are pretty much all gone already. Most fighters can already use RNAV for point to point navigation but aren't certified for terminal area navigation yet (STARs or GPS approaches.)

Any idea if it is certified for the approaches requiring glidepath assistance (LPV) that allows you to go down to 200' mins?

I foresee most military aircraft upgrading to RNAV in the near future. The FAA is getting rid of a ton of NAVAIDS such as NDB, VORTACs, and even ILS in the next few years. NDBs are pretty much all gone already. Most fighters can already use RNAV for point to point navigation but aren't certified for terminal area navigation yet (STARs or GPS approaches.)

For the Hornet and Rhino, up until they received GPS RNAV capability, they still navigated via non-GPS RNAV (they filed /I on flight plans). This is similar to what you alluded to.

Now they have true, legit GPS RNAV capability. For the GPS approaches, it is LNAV only (no vertical guidance). While the lack of precision approach isn't good, it opens up a TON more approaches and allows access to airports that were previously inaccessible in IMC.

They can also fly RNAV SIDs and STARs, but due to some limitations, there are specific ones they cannot fly and those get filtered out of the system.