HRAM different modes

RagnarBSE

SP (Self Protect): Launches a HARM at the highest threat indicated by the RWR. The pilot can cycle through all threats on the RWR pressing the RAID/FLIR switch to prioritze a different threat as a target for the HARM.

TOO (Target of Opportunity): In this mode the HARMs own seeker is used for target selection. The pilot can cycle through all the detected emitters within the HARMs seekers field of View by pressing the RAID/FLIR switch and then hand off the selected emitter as a target to the missile by pressing the CAGE/UNCAGE switch.

PB (Pre Briefed): Launches the HARM at a pre briefed target that has been marked by a waypoint which usally has been created as part of the mission preparation prior to take off. Unlike the other two modes this mode offers extended range as the location (and thus the range) of the target is known to the missile by the waypoint data and the missile can fly a more efficient loft profile.

For more info see here (search for "basic operating modes"): http://www.ausairpower.net/API-AGM-88-HARM.html

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

SP (Self Protect): Launches a HARM at the highest threat indicated by the RWR. The pilot can cycle through all threats on the RWR pressing the RAID/FLIR switch to prioritze a different threat as a target for the HARM.

TOO (Target of Opportunity): In this mode the HARMs own seeker is used for target selection. The pilot can cycle through all the detected emitters within the HARMs seekers field of View by pressing the RAID/FLIR switch and then hand off the selected emitter as a target to the missile by pressing the CAGE/UNCAGE switch.

PB (Pre Briefed): Launches the HARM at a pre briefed target that has been marked by a waypoint which usally has been created as part of the mission preparation prior to take off. Unlike the other two modes this mode offers extended range as the location (and thus the range) of the target is known to the missile by the waypoint data and the missile can fly a more efficient loft profile.

For more info see here (search for "basic operating modes"): http://www.ausairpower.net/API-AGM-88-HARM.html

Top explanation! thx i understand

is it possible then RWR not detect threat and missle seeker yes?

is it possible then RWR not detect threat and missle seeker yes?

In theory this is possible, if a threat emitter is within the deadzone of the RWR and within the FOV of the HARM seeker. Now I'm not sure if the Hornet RWR has any deadzones and if so where they are, so I don't know if such a situation can actually occur in the Hornet.

If you're wondering what the benefit of TOO is over SP, then I can say the following: In TOO mode you get a much better impression of the distance and approximate location of the emitters in front of you than the RWR can provide. You even get a box in the HUD that shows you the location of the emitter (the box is not implemented yet). Also, in my own experience, the TOO mode has a higher probability of the missile actually hitting their target.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The TOO HUD-box is implemented in the latest OB (March 13th; 2.5.4.28090). It's pretty darn nice! :)

You're right, I forgot that the update didn't just brought the Tomcat, but also some updates for the other modules :music_whistling:

Most excited for pullback mode, engaging pop up SAM threats is gonna get a lot quicker.

What's pullback mode? :huh:

Tornado3 small.jpg

You're right, I forgot that the update didn't just brought the Tomcat, but also some updates for the other modules :music_whistling:

I believe pullback will automatically switch the Hornet to HARM SP mode with the threat locking you up set as the target, so all you have to do is pickle the missile.

I believe pullback will automatically switch the Hornet to HARM SP mode with the threat locking you up set as the target, so all you have to do is pickle the missile.

Oh, indeed :doh:

Thanks!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In SP mode you can box "PLBK" (if I remember it correctly from the Super Hornet sim). All it does is prevent your HARM page popping up on your DDI when the imminent threat is detected.

You might have a dedicated SEAD group in the area taking care of ground threats and if for instance your task is strike and your weapons and DDI's are set. You might be seconds away from release and... if your RWR detects a threat and "PLBK" is not boxed... your HARM is taking over your DDI config. You might be slightly pissed if this prevented you from attacking your mission target.

It might be "OVRD" or something similar in "our" C/D Hornets... I have to go back and check.

EDIT: simultaneous posting

Edited by Gripes323

Yeah, I know what you mean. The boxable OSD button is labeled OVRD in our Hornet IIRC. I just wasn't aware that this feature is called pullback mode :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg