[USE IFF] TD Box in HUD always square now

104th_Money

Upon locking up enemy aircraft, the TD Box does not change to diamond shape anymore. Its always square. Did something change in the designation method?

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

From the patch notes: “Only a contact determined as hostile (red, chevron), will have a diamond TD marker on the HUD.”

I believe you need to interrogate the target aircraft in order get the diamond now

i9 9900K, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3080

Valve Index, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TPR Pedals

AFAIK you'll need to IFF but I haven't flown the Hornet to test how/if the new mechanics work.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

It could be that you are forgetting to turn IFF on. It needs to be enabled now. And yes. The default box is square now while it used to be diamond until confirmed friendly. This should cut down on teamkills at least.

IFF is definitely on, D/L is definitely on...So if only targets with red chevron get a diamond TD box, there is no way for a Hornet to determine friendly or enemy with its own radar? Would mean need AWACS to confirm and you check via datalink that your target is a bandit...That doesnt make sense.

If you are down in a valley below line of sight from AWACS, there would be no way to determine if a radar contact in the valley with you is hostile?

I wish there was easily available documentation to confirm new procedures...Since everyone is flying the Tomcat and hardly anyone the Hornet at the moment, nobody seems to be aware of the change.

Edited by 104th_Money

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

It could be that you are forgetting to turn IFF on. It needs to be enabled now. And yes. The default box is square now while it used to be diamond until confirmed friendly. This should cut down on teamkills at least.

Really? I'd expect those to rise up when a lot of people can't be arsed to go through the procedure.

Really? I'd expect those to rise up when a lot of people can't be arsed to go through the procedure.

Before, the default was a diamond, which is hostile. If people mucked up the interrogation, it stays hostile. Now iit defaults to the box, which is unknown. It’s now working the proper way.

Should there be a HUD designation for a target that is IFF'd as friendly? A circle perhaps? I haven't played latest OB, so not sure how it is now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, a box with FRIEND written underneath. Should come later in Early Access.

I wish there was easily available documentation to confirm new procedures...Since everyone is flying the Tomcat and hardly anyone the Hornet at the moment, nobody seems to be aware of the change.

IFF is working but only in RWS -

• Attack radar as SOI (diamond top right of DDI)

• move the radar cursor over the brick

• depress sensor select

• the 'Unknown' symbol will change to hostile/friend on the SA page.

• AFAIK there's no change on the attack radar

... if you then STT lock - you'll get the HUD diamond and if close enough the ^.

Note: STT lock of a 'unknown' and use of IFF after, is unsuccessful (no HUD diamond or ^).

Tested 2.5.4.28461 Open Beta

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• ED Team
IFF is working but only in RWS -

• Attack radar as SOI (diamond top right of DDI)

• move the radar cursor over the brick

• depress sensor select

• the 'Unknown' symbol will change to hostile/friend on the SA page.

• AFAIK there's no change on the attack radar

... if you then STT lock - you'll get the HUD diamond and if close enough the ^.

Note: STT lock of a 'unknown' and use of IFF after, is unsuccessful (no HUD diamond or ^).

Tested 2.5.4.28461 Open Beta

Re IFF on an unknown STT target: as we've stated earlier, this has already been resolved internally. Sadly, it was not completed in time for this weeks OB.

Thanks

Cannot use IFF interrogate when Radar in STT

I am pretty frustrated by the fact that, at the moment, it seems that whenever I have an air contact locked up in Single Track Mode I cannot then interrogate it with IFF. Apparently you need to do the interrogation of friend/foe and then lock it. Ok..but what if the first time you see something is real close and you lock it with, say an ACM mode...now you are in STT without perhaps having had a chance to IFF it...and if you now try with sensor select depress...it does not work....you are supposed to deselect lock...go to your radar screen and IFF the track...all whilst potentially in a turning dogfight. What this all means you can now get into situations with a box around an aircraft that should have a diamond....or, because if the reasons I have described above you are now more likely to start shooting at ones even with boxes around them......that will never go wrong! For me, on BlueFlag those evening it meant being shot down once or twice by aircraft I had locked up, but had not had the chance to IFF beforehand...I held fire to confirm my target...they shot me. I left and came downstairs for a beer and to type this. Anyone else having siimilar frustrations?

Well, this got me killed at least twice on BlueFlag tonight. Last minute acquisition and lock of target...IFF not taken prior to STT lock...confusion ensues as you think you have done an IFF check on your locked target, but what people don’t recognise is that is won’t interrogate a STT Track at the moment.......’friendly’ target then kills you whilst you try to solve mystery. There was a post earlier that said this situation will mean less team killing. There is an argument you might get more...there are enough hornet players out there who will not have had the benefit of this thread...

Before, the default was a diamond, which is hostile. If people mucked up the interrogation, it stays hostile. Now iit defaults to the box, which is unknown. It’s now working the proper way.

I got that, but in a bout of cynicism I may have concluded that a majority of people might end up saying: 'Oh, well, screw it, I'll sort them out later.'

Well, this got me killed at least twice on BlueFlag tonight. Last minute acquisition and lock of target...IFF not taken prior to STT lock...confusion ensues as you think you have done an IFF check on your locked target, but what people don’t recognise is that is won’t interrogate a STT Track at the moment.......’friendly’ target then kills you whilst you try to solve mystery. There was a post earlier that said this situation will mean less team killing. There is an argument you might get more...there are enough hornet players out there who will not have had the benefit of this thread...

Square TD box is not friendly, it's unknown

That’s an interesting point..apologies for the misleading term of friendly. In which case this little IFF faff will definitely cause plenty of confusion. I am glad the fix seems to be already in the pipeline from ED. It’s a bit annoying, but it is OB too.

That’s an interesting point..apologies for the misleading term of friendly. In which case this little IFF faff will definitely cause plenty of confusion. I am glad the fix seems to be already in the pipeline from ED. It’s a bit annoying, but it is OB too.

It's supposed to be that way, what needs to be fixed is being able to IFF in STT.