Godspeed Senator John S. McCain

MarcSupilami

A lot of services and tribute to him, here in Arizona.

RIP, and thank you for your service.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Respect McCain for his service and the fact he was a POW and suffered.

But he was also a terrible pilot and a privileged son.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

But he was also a terrible pilot and a privileged son.

Hmm, I hesitated to reply, not wanting to start a debate on the issue as I had hoped on his passing we could remain gracious to a remarkable man, who cannot answer for himself anymore:

While possibly not the best pilot (he was part of an attack squadron, not a fighter squadron where typically the best pilots were sent) and crashed his plane three times including once for which he was judged responsible, his skills improved and he ended up being considered a good pilot, although one who "pushed the envelope" and was promoted to flight instructor. Let us just say that the US Navy is not in the habit of leaving multi-million dollars planes in the hands of "terrible pilots".

I am not sure if or why you would consider being born of privilege to be a fault. After all, if we are born or live in the US or in Europe, we are already in the top 10% as far as privilege or luck goes. Furthermore, it is not about being privileged but what you do with it:

There are numerous others examples of his character and sense of duty, so in my view, he saw his luck in birth as more a duty than a privilege. I can only say that for myself, as I consider myself privileged too, I did far less with it than he did and thus my admiration from across the Atlantic.

Edited by MarcSupilami

Houba! Hop!

Hmm, I hesitated to reply, not wanting to start a debate on the issue as I had hoped on his passing we could remain gracious to a remarkable man, who cannot answer for himself anymore:

While possibly not the best pilot (he was part of an attack squadron, not a fighter squadron where typically the best pilots were sent) and crashed his plane three times including once for which he was judged responsible, his skills improved and he ended up being considered a good pilot, although one who "pushed the envelope" and was promoted to flight instructor. Let us just say that the US Navy is not in the habit of leaving multi-million dollars planes in the hands of "terrible pilots".

I am not sure if or why you would consider being born of privilege to be a fault. After all, if we are born or live in the US or in Europe, we are already in the top 10% as far as privilege or luck goes. Furthermore, it is not about being privileged but what you do with it:

There are numerous others example of his character and sense of duty, so in my view, he saw his luck in birth as more a duty than a privilege. I can only say that for myself, as I consider myself privileged too, I did far less with it than he did and thus my admiration from across the Atlantic.

:thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

There are numerous others example of his character and sense of duty, so in my view, he saw his luck in birth as more a duty than a privilege. I can only say that for myself, as I consider myself privileged too, I did far less with it than he did and thus my admiration from across the Atlantic.

Great post! I for one am grateful for his service, sacrifice, and character...and envious of his career. Let him rest in peace.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"