Has anyone tried the 10900k yet?

As the title reads really, I'm keen to hear the differences over previous CPUs as it's time to upgrade to 10th gen (i'm on a lowly 4790k!)

Is there anyone here waiting on a pre order? It's been too long since my last build and my cash is burning a hole in my pocket!

All of the reviews overly focus on how 'good' amd are as they have so many cores but realistically, to get the best in our chosen software, we need IPC, not 100s of weaker cores. So the info albeit useful is somewhat biased towards the minority that actually use the CPUs in production software and the games tested are typically not so CPU bound as DCS.

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a good comparison among new and last gen Intel (and AMD) on Hardware Canucks on Youtube. Worth watching.

Reviewer is pissed with Intel's lameness with this generation of CPUs so ignore his editorialisation comments and pay attention to the numbers.

HTH

Hold on mate,

You want to replace Intel Core i7-4790K for 10900K for DCS???

This 10900K is not better than your current CPU if you are looking for processing power, it runs natively in 3.7 GHz, don't expect it to outperform your current CPU.

I am running my I7-6700K at 4.18 GHz across all cores constantly, I have not seen 10900K performing that well across all cores yet, and for the RRP they're asking, I would hold fire till December.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

My 8700k, prior to selling, ran 4.8 GHz all cores all the time on below stock voltage. One would think the newer model would do at least as well as that.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

I'm following this one as I need to replace my 4770 ASAP! :D

I've seen the new 10600k also

Haha, yah, we're in the same boat here, I'll post anything I find, would be great if you hear of anything more specific to DCS if you could let us know here too, thanks :thumbup:

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

There was a good comparison among new and last gen Intel (and AMD) on Hardware Canucks on Youtube. Worth watching.

Reviewer is pissed with Intel's lameness with this generation of CPUs so ignore his editorialisation comments and pay attention to the numbers.

HTH

Thanks, yeah, I watched some of that but found it a bit of a chore to listen to him bang on about how bad it is. Essentially though it's an incredible feat that 5 year old tech has been so refined and optimised that it STILL beats the competitor's very best! We all like to see the underdog do well but when the software an individual runs relies on strong single threaded performance, there is no better than the 10900k for now. A lot of reviewers seem hung up on the parallel threaded stuff like cinebench where 100s of cores do matter but not on our favourite flight sim!

(Build Thread)

You want to replace Intel Core i7-4790K for 10900K for DCS???

This 10900K is not better than your current CPU if you are looking for processing power, it runs natively in 3.7 GHz, don't expect it to outperform your current CPU.

I am running my I7-6700K at 4.18 GHz across all cores constantly, I have not seen 10900K performing that well across all cores yet, and for the RRP they're asking, I would hold fire till December.

Um yeah.... of course I want to replace my 4790k. Why sound so surprised?

There seems to be 2 scenarios here, either I am interpreting your message incorrectly or you're talking nonsense?

You do realise that that is like saying a 1.0l Nissan Micra has the same power output at 6000rpm as a Nissan GTR. The frequency is irrelevant accross different CPU architecture. Even the 9900k would be a tiny bit slower at the same frequency due to the extra L3 cache on the 10900k.

My AMD 965BE ran at the same 3.7GHz all core as the 10900k, should I have held on to that?

Sorry if it offends but that's just not correct.

I will have MUCH faster RAM capabilities coming from DDR3 2200MHz

WAY more headroom given my 4790k is absolutely thrashed at 4.7 - 4.8 kept only in place by a 5 x 120mm rad water loop.

In one year I can sell the 10900k for £300 and get the 11900k for a die shrink and new architecture.

Finally, why would it matter that yours runs at 4.7GHz on all cores? This is DCS we're talking about:doh:

I have a 2080ti and compared to a friend's 2070 super and 6th gen I5, he gets better FPS than me (we both have an HP reverb) as my CPU frame times are horrible compared to his.

Sorry for the high horse rant but a 4790k at 4GHz is NOT the same as a 10900k at 4GHz :lol:

(Build Thread)

Yeap! Almost the same boat;D

Well I have a 2070 S, its a little on the lower end but it has helped a bit.

16 gb DDR3, and Corsair water cooling.

But I do have a reverb pro v2 and frankly DCS isn't a great experience with my rig and IL2 is always around 45 fps, but it's horrible when looking to the sides (everything warps). I can't spot a thing!

I'm new to the VR scene, so it has been like taking a degree; setup and redo it, and trying it again, edit this file, try this mod, vr on, vr off, not its jagged, now it's slow.

Anyway.

I was considering 32GB of RAM at least. Everyone is bashing Intel over AMD, but both DCS and IL2 aren't going to change engine anytime soon and it is still up to core speed.

Here in Portugal 3900X is roughly the same price as i7-10700K i9-9900KF (around 490/500 euro). And I'm really confused, and I've read so many things and seen so many videos :|

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

From what I've read you need to factor in the price of a cooling system that only a few years ago would have bought you a high end GPU, it looks like once the revs get near the red line, you can boil soup.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Yeap! Almost the same boat;D

Well I have a 2070 S, its a little on the lower end but it has helped a bit.

16 gb DDR3, and Corsair water cooling.

But I do have a reverb pro v2 and frankly DCS isn't a great experience with my rig and IL2 is always around 45 fps, but it's horrible when looking to the sides (everything warps). I can't spot a thing!

I'm new to the VR scene, so it has been like taking a degree; setup and redo it, and trying it again, edit this file, try this mod, vr on, vr off, not its jagged, now it's slow.

Anyway.

I was considering 32GB of RAM at least. Everyone is bashing Intel over AMD, but both DCS and IL2 aren't going to change engine anytime soon and it is still up to core speed.

Here in Portugal 3900X is roughly the same price as i7-10700K i9-9900KF (around 490/500 euro). And I'm really confused, and I've read so many things and seen so many videos :|

I have the same headset and my friend that I fly with has the 2070s with the reverb v2 too there are a few things you could try as that setup should be great. I have all settings at max apart from shadows as that destroys my CPU frametimes. But I have 2xMSAA and 1.4 in game PD (Steam SS is worse for my setup and there seems to be some misinformation about how Steam SS works compared to native PD scaling)

Do you have FPS VR? It's a super cheap but invaluable app to get to fine tune your settings.

Also, have you enable motion reprojection? What refresh rate are you using in WMR? Drop me an PM if you want to discuss it as I have spent hours and hours now fine tuning for the best looking results, I'm a bit of a screen snob so can't tolerate shimmering etc. And we have really similar setups. I don't get on well with the shader mod for VR, it's amazing work from the guy that did it but it just looks a bit rubbish with stuff disabled and turned down. I'm looking at applying just the screen mask though as that is great for not rendering stuff we can't see.

I've had Rift, Odyssey+, Pimax 5k, Pimax 8K, Rift S and now Reverb Pro which I find is by far the best out of all of them for flying, it's just a shame about the hideous controllers though!! Let me know if you want to chat about settings :thumbup:

(Build Thread)

From what I've read you need to factor in the price of a cooling system that only a few years ago would have bought you a high end GPU, it looks like once the revs get near the red line, you can boil soup.

:megalol: Indeed, I read it's something crazy like 350w

It's not too bad if you already have a custom loop, I think I'd not consider it if I needed to spend loads on more cooling.

You're so right about the high end GPU, I got in to gaming when the HD5870 was the fastest in the world, it cost me £330 I think. 10 years later and the 2080ti cost £1000 more!

The wattage isn't too bad when you look at it from a GPU perspective, I had a MSI 2080ti gaming x trio and flashed it with a 400w bios. The cooler is big but it more than handled 100% load which in games is typical, for a 300w CPU though, 100% usage is very rare unless benchmarking or rendering so it will only spike to those kind of temps in real life usage. All the media outlets seem to want to over dramatise these things lol.

(Build Thread)

If I had to buy right this instant I'd probably do 9700K or 9600k and overclock the bejeezus out of it. It's older tech but single thread performance...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I waffle to AMD occasionally but not sure it'll tolerate the same level of overclocks as Intel 9th. If I was buying for workstation loads and not games I'd go AMD all the way without question.

Edited by reece146

Sorry for the high horse rant but a 4790k at 4GHz is NOT the same as a 10900k at 4GHz :lol:

You are correct. Here's an apples to apples comparison at the same clock speed (2.8 Ghz), Cinebench R15, one thread.

19990?key=2f27bd329d32d8fb894395ee9fd6f25b

https://www.sweclockers.com/test/29606-intel-core-i9-10900k-och-core-i5-10600k-comet-lake-s/21#content

Sorry about the swedish, but I think the chart is pretty universal. :thumbup:

Engineer Travis Downs reports on his blog that Intel's latest generation "Ice Lake" CPUs have improved cache handling.

Ice Lake Store Elimination | Performance Matters

https://travisdowns.github.io/blog/2020/05/18/icelake-zero-opt.html

Hardware Store Elimination | Performance Matters

https://travisdowns.github.io/blog/2020/05/13/intel-zero-opt.html#hardware-survey

Not a good time to upgrade, the i10 CPUs are a bit of a desperate stopgap from Intel and the last gasp of 14nm(hopefully). They have crazy power demands that bring issues with thermals. Ryzen is a much more power/thermal efficient CPU and brings PCIe 4.0 to the party. I currently use a i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz, 23gb ram, paired with a 2080. Personally I`m waiting for Zen 4 AM5 socket and DDR 5, plus the likely next gen SSDs, which will have crazy speeds. Likely another 18 months. DCS is just a CPU bottleneck at present, hopefully by the time I`m ready to upgrade from my 2014 system it will actually be worth it. But it has served me very well to date for VR with the Reverb, and hopefully a little longer

Edited by Zoomer

I'm interested also to see some dcs benchmarks for the 10900k. Running currently a 4790k /1070 combination in 4k.cpu usage is about 50%, gpu at 95% so it seems to me (if i'm talking bs correct me) that the gpu is the bottleneck. I" m wondering if i would benefit in that resolution from anew cpu. Gpu upgrade is planned

Has anyone tried the 10900k yet?

cinebench is not a game.

DCS benefits more with High performance single core performance of intel processors, intel ring bus, low latency and High clocks are the secret.

Never said it is. And that wasn’t the statement I replied to. I was trying to shed some light on how the 4790K compares to the 10900K apples to apples, though DCS specific benchmark comparisons are hard to find.

That AMD Ryzen 3000 IPC is better than Intel's is no secret, many tests show exactly that.

They lack behind with a few hundred MHz, so Intel barely manages to win that "overall" fps game,

but hearing that XT versions with more MHz are about to be released I am not too sure how long Intel can hold that very last crown, it seems AMD's All-Over-Win comes sooner than expected with 4000 series 2nd-Gen 7nm. I am really looking forward to 3600XT and what it can deliver.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

i9 9900K vs i7 8700K have big difference in same quick mission both with Index and VR preset. But these computers also have different GPU so not 100% sure how it affects. RTX 2080Ti vs GTX 1080.

I have i7 6700K/GTX1080 myself and the GPU is maxing at 70% and most of the time even at lower usage in VR and custom settings. So would like to buy a new CPU but also would like to wait for Ryzen 4000 series. But even those Ryzen's are basically same old CPU's than before and they are even changing the socket after them so don't know if actually want to buy anything. New GPU's are also coming so not going to buy 2080Ti anymore. Could still upgrade my CPU first while waiting. There are rumors that the LGA1200 sockets are to be used also in upcoming Intel CPU's. But I don't think I would change to the possible upcoming CPU, if I buy new i7 or i9 now, even if the socket was same. CPU is more expensive part than MOBO anyway.

But then I tried playing the new SuperCarrier and fps is 20 on deck ugh. So can I actually wait to buy a new CPU. This is too hard. I could say that there's no proper real missions in DCS for Hornet anyway so why bother.

Yeah, ok..

That's OK, no worries. DCS 3.0 will benefit from modern hardware architecture.

I don't use VR, so you have different needs than I do.

Yes, correct 4GHz vs. 4GHz is not the same between CPU generations

IF software can take advantage of the architecture,

IF 10900k can actually run constant 4.0 GHz without too much effort.

For DCS it is Ghz that matters.

Fine though, good luck with your next build.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

CPU is more expensive part than MOBO anyway.

With such a high power draw from those 10th gen CPU's I'd be VERY cautious to buy a motherboard that is a lot cheaper than those CPUs are. VRM design has improved over the last decade, no doubt, but what Intel forces board vendors to do to keep the load/heat/wear&tear under control if you suck up that much wattage in your CPU raises some concerns about how cheap a board can be and still withstand that stress.

I do remember the days when Intel was also lacking behind AMD and was forced to brute attack the market with CPUs that ran hotter than AMD, yes...that is a while back, but if you do remember those days and how long the motherboards made for Home users lasted, how they looked on the back side at the VRM section..and how many failed...makes you think and say: "No, NOT AGAIN!"

Usually, such high power draws are only to be found in high end workstations and servers that do have the right VRM section with proper cooling for long term reliability. That does cost some money and I doubt you can put that all in a 200€ board, along with all the other goodies.

Just my concerns about what Intel dares to sell right now. No way am I gonna buy or sell one of those, maybe repair some down the time line;)

I might be wrong, time will tell how good VRM design has become

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

That's OK, no worries. DCS 3.0 will benefit from modern hardware architecture.

I don't use VR, so you have different needs than I do.

Yes, correct 4GHz vs. 4GHz is not the same between CPU generations

IF software can take advantage of the architecture,

IF 10900k can actually run constant 4.0 GHz without too much effort.

For DCS it is Ghz that matters.

Fine though, good luck with your next build.

Why would you compare them at 4ghz anyways? Buying 10900k and not overclocking it 5.1ghz all core is just plain stupid.

Edited by VitS

I wouldn't invest in the 10thgen chips. All your getting is a slight boost in Mhz which will yield no difference as far as your experience in DCS is concerned over a system - all things being equal - using a 9th gen chip. If you have to go Intel, and you need to upgrade your CPU, I'd get a 9th gen chip or wait for Ice lake.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS