Intel i5-10600K vs Ryzen 7 3700X

I bought AMD to promote the competition this time...

Maybe we'll have another K6-2 era :)...

Also I know I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I can tell you what reviewers and gaming benchmarks say, but unless someone does a proper head to head comparing modern AMD and Intel systems on DCS, we are all just guessing. And to get any chance of seeing DCS being used in hardware reviews, we need a good built-in benchmark first.

What I can say is that DCS performance doesnt really behave like "most" games. Looking at cinebench or tombraider benchmarks really doesnt have much, if any predictive power for DCS. This is true for GPUs, CPUs and memory.

For GPUs, most modern games seem to care most about shader performance, I strongly suspect DCS cares relatively little about shaders (at least without VR) and much much more about vram bandwidth (and quantity), texturing units and rasterizers. Some of those specs are often not even mentioned in reviews because they matter so little in modern games that do most things through complex shaders and are rarely performance limited in texturing units. You need to google hard just to find the specs, but when you do you may find out why older higher end cards, particularly Ti variants may be better for DCS than more modern and "faster" cards (in most games). Think 1070 vs 2060, 1080Ti vs 2080. If you look up TMU and ROP count of those cards, you may think twice before upgrading.

Likewise, most games will show only marginal impact of dram speeds and latency, but on my system DCS performance scales linearly with dram speed. No other game does this, very few synthetic benchmarks do. This may also mean CPU cache speed/size/efficiency matters a ton more in DCS than it does in any other game and may or may not result in significant differences between intel and amd chips. Between AMD chips with one or two core complexes. It might mean quad channel threadrippers or S2066 intel chips are actually worth considering for DCS, despite appearing to be ridiculous choices given their number of non usable cores.

Again, with no hard numbers, I can only guess. Historically Intel has had a significant cache latency advantage over AMD. That gap has shrunk a lot with recent Ryzens, but it still exists. I wouldnt be surprised if this gave intel a non trivial performance edge over otherwise comparable AMD chips in DCS. Or it might not.

I really wish we could convince someone with access to a wide range of hardware to do an in depth DCS performance review, so we could all spend our money more wisely.

I really wish we could convince someone with access to a wide range of hardware to do an in depth DCS performance review, so we could all spend our money more wisely.

This Guy have the exact specifications we need to test:

(an VR related channel)

I´ve asked him to test DCS.

Try all of you to ask him again please, and maybe we can get that. :thumbup:

I bought AMD to promote the competition this time...

Also I know I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...

A 3800X, 32 Gb, a Nvidia 2080 and a Reverb..... Good!

Can we know your FPS numbers at 1080p Flat screen on a easy Caucasus map and in your VR headset too, please?

Same 45 FPS as all the people in VR?

3rd..and maybe most important. With the recent updates, Bios, FW installs for Intel ME and Microcodes I have dropped considerably behind a stock clocked 8700k around a year ago in Cinebench R20. I run 5G all-Core and this default 8700k in the databank from Cinebench gains 500 points more ( around that ), 3300 vs 3800 points. How come ??

It's probably related to those Spectre and Meltdown patches which mitigated exploits related to the branch prediction which was an important feature for performance in these Intel CPUs IIRC.

Regarding the IRST problem, did you try completely removing those drivers? I don't think they're necessary even if you have RAID. RAID will still work with some default Microsoft drivers (or Microsoft vetted Intel drivers). This long video issue sounds pretty much unacceptable, though I can't tell what the root cause is.

Can't comment much on the sleep problems, but it's normally a driver issue and I have those sometimes on these Intel based laptops I've been using for the last decade (like e.g. some sound issue or network cutting out after awaking). The best approach from my experience (at least since Windows 10) seems to be not to install any drivers yourself except for the GPU or for devices Windows can't identify. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, that kind of a thing, I guess. Of course, with so many configurations out there, your mileage may vary, of course.

The Intel is more limited in PCI-E lanes, but I suppose you're not using all that storage in parallel anyway. Thus, a better model mainboard would have had some extra SATA controller to provide for more SATA ports. I guess you could add a PCI-E card with extra SATA ports on it to solve your issue?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I've a 3900X and 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4, running off a 1TB Firecuda, Rift S etc. Once I'd ironed out some of the minor 'default' issues with DCS it seems to run blazing fast in both VR and non-VR; between 110-180fps and 40-60fps in VR based on my experience so far.

I've a 3900X and 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4, running off a 1TB Firecuda, Rift S etc. Once I'd ironed out some of the minor 'default' issues with DCS it seems to run blazing fast in both VR and non-VR; between 110-180fps and 40-60fps in VR based on my experience so far.

That´s tipycal of an average 45 FPS for a Reverb everyone is getting on a strong system.

On flat screen is a very good FPS count. Clearly the developers are taking into account the Flat screen numbers and relaxing on that but VR users are on the rise, so....

We need to double the VR performance, and then: double that again for the upcoming 4K dual displays coming in a year ahead. (And enable foveated rendering with eye tracking).

Maybe some magic will happen on 2021, you never know.

Edited by Leaderface

It's probably related to those Spectre and Meltdown patches which mitigated exploits related to the branch prediction which was an important feature for performance in these Intel CPUs IIRC.

Regarding the IRST problem, did you try completely removing those drivers? I don't think they're necessary even if you have RAID. RAID will still work with some default Microsoft drivers (or Microsoft vetted Intel drivers). This long video issue sounds pretty much unacceptable, though I can't tell what the root cause is.

Can't comment much on the sleep problems, but it's normally a driver issue and I have those sometimes on these Intel based laptops I've been using for the last decade (like e.g. some sound issue or network cutting out after awaking). The best approach from my experience (at least since Windows 10) seems to be not to install any drivers yourself except for the GPU or for devices Windows can't identify. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, that kind of a thing, I guess. Of course, with so many configurations out there, your mileage may vary, of course.

The Intel is more limited in PCI-E lanes, but I suppose you're not using all that storage in parallel anyway. Thus, a better model mainboard would have had some extra SATA controller to provide for more SATA ports. I guess you could add a PCI-E card with extra SATA ports on it to solve your issue?

LoL, I made a mistake :( I misread R20's results, the CPU is doing great actually, the higher result was MY CPU and the lower one was the default CPU...shit happens when you are sleepy.

I am unsure if taking the 2 HDD's or DVD out would solve the IRST problem. All I can say is that I had 16.2 installed and after 2004 upgrade it was 17.8, introducing the bug again.

The sleep mode problem is solved MOSTLY but not 100% by pulling the TMWH plugs. I just pulled ALL USB but K&M as I dont fly atm anyway, nor do I need Rudders or TiR to read emails ;). Sadly, it still happens that it wont go to sleep at times.

I have SAS cards in my drawer but this board does not have a 8x PCIe to spare, if I insert it my GPU will go 8x as well... that much to lanes and Desktop chipsets, my own fault. But when I look at AMD Threadripper prices, the cheapest one is 1.5k €....thanks NO. That is way too much entry level price for me to go back to WS class. Back in the days, a WS board and CPU was only a little more and not a ton more money. I need to consolidate data to bigger drives and finally kick the HDD's out anyway, they are getting old.

I should reinstall that PC asap, maybe in fall when school is back on and kindergarden open all week. Right now I have very little time for things like that. Wife works 6 days a week and I do the 3 kids and IT stuff from home. I really dont want to isolate myself for 3 days installing that nonsense :cry:

Maybe the 3800XT is too good to say no, July 7th will tell me ;)

Then this rig will end as my Living room PC, with a Noctua, 1 NVMe and Linux. Problems solved :smilewink:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I bought a i5-10600K (WC H60 Corsair) + Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X + Gskill TridentZ DDR4 32gb 3600 CL17 to match my RTX 2070 Super.

I get 90 to 100+ FPS (no VR) on the Instant Action Super Carrier Trials Mission (on the carrier deck) with the F-14

140/160 over Dubai free flight with the F/A-18.

50/75 on the ground Mission Iron Hand Nevada 75+ on the air over Nevada Nellis AB.

In VR I have a HP Reverb. I haven't tested a lot, but it's always at least 45 locked on the ground/carrier.

With this setup (my VR setup in a non VR test):

Screen-200701-095228.png

Edited by t-stoff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

Man!, those 45 FPS numbers on HP Reverb seems to be limited in some place.

Let´s see when Ampere gets tested if that´s the problem.

Maybe the limitation lays on the game engine somewere or in the Vram memory. There are too much people with those 45 FPS ceiling.

Il2 is kinda the same, I can't explain why as now it can go a little bit up sometimes (I did some tweaking but frankly I get lost in what changed). But avg is 45ish.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Il2 is kinda the same, I can't explain why as now it can go a little bit up sometimes (I did some tweaking but frankly I get lost in what changed). But avg is 45ish.

I´ve read that FPS on IL2 were improved with the last patch.

Maybe only the sttutering if you see the same ceiling.

I even think War thunder have the same ceiling oproximately, but have not seen decent info on that.

What the.....

Edited by Leaderface

The only thing I see at the moment are some flashs from time to time (IL2). But yeah, maybe it was the patch. But in VR everything is smooth even if the FPS doesn't transmit the idea, not as smooth as Non-VR, but good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]