High-Pixel-Density 1001ppi LCD

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

http://www.j-display.com/english/news/2018/20180510.html

May 10, 2018 (Tokyo, Japan) - Japan Display Inc. (JDI) today announced the development of a 3.25-inch 1001ppi low temperature polysilicon (LTPS) TFT LCD specifically-designed for virtual reality (VR) head mount display (HMD) applications. JDI plans to start commercial shipments by the end of March in 2019, and will accelerate the design of even higher resolution displays for VR-HMD applications in the future.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184385&stc=1&d=1526127801

Was reading this article, certainly looks like VR is going to get much better displays in the future, thought I would share as it was an interesting read.

20180510.png.f1f5b4c39cc7ce9922deb3651b4005cd.png

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Nice, that and more powerful hardware cant come soon enough :).

For comparison, Rift CV1 and Vive have aprox 450ppi.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

http://www.j-display.com/english/news/2018/20180510.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=184385&stc=1&d=1526127801

Was reading this article, certainly looks like VR is going to get much better displays in the future, thought I would share as it was an interesting read.

Good news but there is a problem of price and profitability for mass production.

Another aspect is can hardware now capable to run such content.

Point is SDE is just one part of the puzzle and PPI is a factor which affects it. This only eliminates SDE but not resolution or better say PPD.

For example, CV! and Vive are close to this 400PPI with and around 10 PPD.

Pimax4K got 800PPI but around 12 PPD. Oddissay, WMR, Vive PRO 600PPI and around 14PPD.

These numbers are proven with multiple reviews and true lens screenshots.

Pimax5K will have 600PPI and 17PPD and Pimax8K will have 800PPI and around 17PPD and that will stretch hardware allready.

The top model which is now in developing is Pimax8KX with 800PPI and around 25PPD but to be honest we don't have capable GPU to run in this quality with decent above 45FPS.

There is no in near future GPU capable to run such VR content. We could hope to some eyetracking and foveated rendering and GPU per eye technology will be implemented to help processing rendering.

So in best case, we will benefit from it in next five years not earlier.

This is good but VR is not depending only on Displays quality.

I think the fixed foveated rendering used on the Oculus Go might be a useful technique in the short term until graphics power can catch up. I haven't seen it in person, but reports on image quality in the Go sound quite promising considering it's a standalone headset.

Eye tracking would add another layer of processing to the image, whereas the fixed foveated method just blurs it towards the edge of the view, just like the human eye does. Seems a simple and neat solution to me, but then I haven't seen it in person yet so what do I know.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I think the fixed foveated rendering used on the Oculus Go might be a useful technique in the short term until graphics power can catch up. I haven't seen it in person, but reports on image quality in the Go sound quite promising considering it's a standalone headset.

Eye tracking would add another layer of processing to the image, whereas the fixed foveated method just blurs it towards the edge of the view, just like the human eye does. Seems a simple and neat solution to me, but then I haven't seen it in person yet so what do I know.

True and that is my point. Eye tracking mod for Vive cost 200$ what is more than reasonable price for performance enhancement. So for all this technology already exist just need to be implemented. Vive got it and Pimax8K will have it too. so its already here in 2018.

Except we don't need more powerful GPUs to take advantage of a higher pixel density. Downscaling a higher resolution display will still reduce the screen door effect and aliasing.

True as well but Pimax8KX is coming out in q4 2018. 4K per eye give you 25PPD native resolution but DCS right now only can run 4K on single display around 45 FPS what is not enough for VR. Could work under ASW but for two displays GPU need double resources so this is like it is run in 4K on a single display with 20 FPS.

Pimax8K is 4K display per eye but with downscaled resolution at 14PPD. Yes SDE is best so fare what prove your theory but is is somewhere on maximum what today's GPU can run without supersampling.

And 1001ppi is already outdated :-D https://www.roadtovr.com/int-announces-2228ppi-high-pixel-density-amoled-display-vr-headsets/

It's really getting interesting on the display front...

All of this is connected, this new displays with high PPI are capable for higher resolutions as well. Goal for VR to be pleasent is 30 PPD and 60 PPD will be ultimate goal near RL. Pimax8KX is near that goal. These new displays are not ready for mass production and it is questionof the price. Also, it is the question of the justify to implement more expensive parts without proper need for it.

I'm not questioning technical characteristics and benefit from it but it is not realistic to expect it before Gen3 VR and for that display is just one part of the VR puzzle.

For example, there are some other issues. Eye tracking is definitely one of it even with additional 200$ will double up performances what is 2 to 3 time less than additional GPU. In the end, it is beneficial for us consumers. But this raise question of lens quality. What is the point of foveated rendering and eye tracking if lens sweet spot is small and lens itself make a blurry picture out of the center and that is the trick with Oculus Rift CV2 prototype. There eye tracking is used for the focus of the far and near objects but it still depends on the sweet spot of the lens because it does not have X Y eye tracking the only Z.

Also will be interesting to see a lens on Pimax8K and his 200 FOV and how will look when you check your peripheral vision with just eye moving on a side.

All this stuff is connected and some answers we could get even in next few months.