Large FPS drops causes flash whenever pilots ejects

Wolf8312

Hey guys just reporting this bug/problem, its a VR/VIVE problem really (reported in VR section too) as thats who it will be noticable to most, but its still I think a problem that is the result of large FPS drops that happen in or out of VR.

At first I thought it was the damage model, as indeed it was a few weeks ago, but I noticed although the game never seemed to get fps drops either when giving or taking damage, as before, I was still getting fps drops.

Couldnt work out why until today and am pretty sure now it is happening whenever the pilot ejects from the plane, after taking damage.

Hope devs can look into this as its not good for VR. This problem aside WW2 is really great so thanks for the effort and updates!

Many thanks!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

However as often seems the case with DCS seems to happen on the first play through mainly and is hard to replicate or confirm. Its as if once the eject animation is loaded then it doesent occur again. Well thats assuming I am right but there is still something causing these very occasional drops.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Yeah can confirm I made a mission a few paces behind a spitfire, and just shot him down about 4 times in a row, and had no flash from either the damage model or his ejecting from the AC. Only seems to happen on the first playthrough having initially loaded the game up.

------------

Any dev aware of this problem?

Wouldnt really be noticible in 2D but affects VR or the HTC vive at least.

------------

It might not be the eject could still be a damage model problem, or something else, but it happens when I shoot up an enemy plane.

------------

Nope it definately seems to happen (FPS drop causing stutter) when the pilot decides to eject and at the exact moment he pops the canopy. It will happen for every plane the first time you use it, and the second/third/fourth time it won't happen. But if you change planes it will happen again the first play through, and then not again. I know I'm talking to myself here, but hopefully a dev will read this and have someone look into it.

------------

I set up four different planes and shot them all down one by one. First time each was shot down caused bad stutters/flashes when pilots ejected, second playthough though everything was smooth.

------------

I will check it out, for future reference, saving the track file of your test makes it easier for us to quickly check out and report.

Thanks

Forgive my ignorance but you mean by providing a replay track? Will see if I can rustle something up.

It should however be fairly easy to reproduce, load up a mission with FPS counter on and shoot down a plane watching for any drops when/just before he bails out. It happens for me without fail so if others are unable to reproduce it then perhaps the issue is with my computer (doubt it, as I have run many benchmarks and performance tests).

I personally made a mission where I shoot down four different WW2 (friendly) planes, and there are FPS drops the first time each plane bails, but once they have bailed once there are no longer any drops a second time unless of course you shoot down a different kind of plane. If I run this scenario before loading up a real WW2 mission I do not again get FPS drops when a pilot bails, as for whatever reason DCS seems to have by then got the problem out of its system. If however I load the game up again afresh, the problem will repeat itself. I can live with it, but would rather not!

I think this would not be so easy to see (perhaps a slight stutter) in 2D but I am guessing you will still see fairly large momentary fps drops that are easy to reproduce.

A few weeks before a very simmilar thing was happening with the damage model whenever a plane was actually hit, but that problem is now thankfully fixed so I am hopeful this one can also be tweaked. Dont think it would be as obvious on a rift, as the rift dosent have basestation flashes (no basestations!) nor momentarily kick the user out to the steam VR loading screen (to be honest in this case it is never quite that extreme) in order to prevent the user from feeling sick due to a sudden loss of frames, but it may well manifest as a stutter in both 2D and on the rift.

------------

Well I cant make the track, or not in the sense that it will be of any use. For some reason in VR now both the FPS counter and labels all dont show up when I attempt to use them. Perhaps its a mod I am using but I'm not sure. I made the track but even in VR on viewing, I can see none of the stutters and flashes that occured when actually playing it through the first time. In the track everything looked fine!

------------

• 2 weeks later...

No news on this? It wasnt fixed in the update unfortunately. Still have to shoot (one of each) four planes down before I can go play a mission otherwise get stutters when a pilot first ejects!

------------

• 1 month later...

Don't suppose we can get an update on what the devs are doing about this. From reading around the forums its been reported many times by many people and each update brings no change.

------------