Oculus Rift 2 - What we know so far

dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah but I would wager we will see something sooner from Oculus for PC-VR than 2021...

I sure am hoping so. I do like where they are headed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Exactly.

+1! you can enjoy it now!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The Samsung Odyssey is cheaper and provides much better visuals than the Rift or the Vive Pro.

Microsoft store also offer student/military/educator discounts to drop the price even further. :thumbup:

After using the Rift and Vive...I'd never suggest someone buy one of them. The Odyssey is just hands down a much better HMD every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Back before I ordered my Rift in Jan of 2017, I thought I had decided to hold off till next generation. The more I kept seeing posts on how great it was the more I started re-thinking that.

I am so glad I did, cause ever since I have used this Rift on almost a daily basis, flight simming several hours a week with it.

Don B

The Samsung Odyssey is cheaper and provides much better visuals than the Rift or the Vive Pro.

Microsoft store also offer student/military/educator discounts to drop the price even further. :thumbup:

After using the Rift and Vive...I'd never suggest someone buy one of them. The Odyssey is just hands down a much better HMD every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Not Gen2 from what I’ve read, but what a great option.

The Rift is about $100.00 cheaper than the Odyssey right now, but the Odyssey having better visuals is a good reason for someone who doesn't currently have a VR HMD to consider spending a little more cash than they would for a Rift. For us current Rift users though, I think a lot of us agree that, at this point, we'd rather stay with the Rift and hold out for generation 2, rather than forking over another 500 bucks for generation 1.5. In the mean time, I'm very happy with my Rift CV1.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The Rift is about $100.00 cheaper than the Odyssey right now, but the Odyssey having better visuals is a good reason for someone who doesn't currently have a VR HMD to consider spending a little more cash than they would for a Rift. For us current Rift users though, I think a lot of us agree that, at this point, we'd rather stay with the Rift and hold out for generation 2, rather than forking over another 500 bucks for generation 1.5. In the mean time, I'm very happy with my Rift CV1.

Yes I would fit in that group, not doing away with my Rift anytime soon.

Plus I very much enjoy the occasional foray into some Touch supported games. They can be quite a lot of fun.

One thing for sure I am well getting my money's worth out of this Rift and continue to do so. I am still hanging my hat on a Rift CV2 down the road.

Don B

About to jump in to VR after years with TIR5. Reading endlessly through reviews and experiences here seems to indicate they're all fairly close, but without any existing investment in VR tech it looks like the Odyssey is the best one to jump into at the moment. And while I've got a pretty good gaming budget and excellent machine, I don't think the Vive Pro's 4 figure entry price is quite worth it.

Is that accurate? I'm somewhat sensitive to SDE... I remember watching movies in theaters using new digital projector shortly after they came out (Attack of the Clones comes to mind), and the SDE effect was horrific in some scenes. Wife and friends with me had no idea what I was talking about, but it made me near nauseous. It looks like the Odyssey is the best to minimize SDE right now.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Vive Pro is ABSOLUTELY not worth it. Unless you want to walk around the room. Vive has the best tracking, followed by Rift, then WMRs like Odyssey. For DCS, tracking on Odyssey is fine. Especially if you're used to TIR's "tracking" The *only* thing to mull over, is that Rift has better support than others. It's not a huge lead, but it is better wit things like ASW. But again, it's a lead. But since you're in DFW, it wouldn't be hard to try out both and return the one you don't like, would it? MS store, Best Buy both accept returns. I didn't see that much of a difference but I do wear glasses. Others have said there is a significant difference. Considering the paper specs, I was shocked that I didn't see as much difference but now chalk it up to my 52 year old eyes being the bottleneck! :)

Either way, Odyssey or Rift, you can't go wrong.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Microsoft store also offer student/military/educator discounts to drop the price even further.

Unfortunately the Odissey cannot be bought in Europe

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Wow, really? I would have thought Samsung or MS would have launched it globally. That sucks.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You could allways go for the ebay option

Considered that myself, but I decided to go for the safer option and wait for a good priced 2nd hand Rift that I can physically pick up somewhere in the neighbourhood

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

You could allways go for the ebay option

Considered that myself, but I decided to go for the safer option and wait for a good priced 2nd hand Rift that I can physically pick up somewhere in the neighbourhood

You'll be waiting years then. VR is amazing now.

You'll be waiting years then. VR is amazing now.

Hm? I think you misunderstood me. I'm checking the Dutch "ebay" for a 2nd hand Rift. There are lots of them available, just waiting for one in the region where I live. That won't take long :)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Not Gen2 from what I’ve read, but what a great option.

Not accurate.

The Odyssey is superior to the Vive Pro in that they both have the same screen, but the Vive Pro uses the same Lens that are in the Vive. The Odyssey uses a much better lens with NO God Rays and "Virtually" NO Screen Door Effect. Thus the visuals in the Odyssey are FAR SUPERIOR to the Vive/Vive Pro.

As far as the tracking goes, the Odyssey tracking works great. I sit for 99% of the HMD games any way, so the room size tracking is great if your a commercial business but not so much in a house or a small room.

This is a great video that explains the differences between the Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey.

${1}

Not accurate.

The Odyssey is superior to the Vive Pro in that they both have the same screen, but the Vive Pro uses the same Lens that are in the Vive. The Odyssey uses a much better lens with NO God Rays and "Virtually" NO Screen Door Effect. Thus the visuals in the Odyssey are FAR SUPERIOR to the Vive/Vive Pro.

As far as the tracking goes, the Odyssey tracking works great. I sit for 99% of the HMD games any way, so the room size tracking is great if your a commercial business but not so much in a house or a small room.

This is a great video that explains the differences between the Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey.

It’s not Gen2 according to industry commentators and people who have an informed opinion. BTW, most people agree that tracking has been sorted already.

Wow, really? I would have thought Samsung or MS would have launched it globally. That sucks.
Yes it really sucks.... can't really understand why companies make choice like this

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png