AI Close Formation?

boundless84

I have noticed there is no longer a "Close Group Formation" option. Is there a reason for this?

I remember flying Jane's F-15 years ago, and you could get the AI wingmen to close formation to within 20ft or so - and they didn't crash into you lol! I would love to have that ability again in DCS.

Close and open are modifiers to formation spacing, multipliers. You start in close formation by default. You might think it is too far but that's as close as that formation gets. If you go open distances will increase and close will return to default.

But not all formations have the same distance: trail, wedge, etc. so the multiplier produces a different result. Wedge is much larger than finger four at the same multiplier.

The only default formation (module developers can define new ones but few if any have done so) that is super tight is the finger four and I think spread four. All the others are quite distant even in their close modification.

Close and open are modifiers to formation spacing, multipliers. You start in close formation by default. You might think it is too far but that's as close as that formation gets. If you go open distances will increase and close will return to default.

But not all formations have the same distance: trail, wedge, etc. so the multiplier produces a different result. Wedge is much larger than finger four at the same multiplier.

The only default formation (module developers can define new ones but few if any have done so) that is super tight is the finger four and I think spread four. All the others are quite distant even in their close modification.

Good to know! Cleared up some misunderstandings I had, as well as explains why I thought you had to go to open formation to get close... because I'm already in close...

Would be cool if they had "show formation." Put them in real tight. Love to see the AI handle that lol!

Used to be able to get them REAL close back around version 1.1 or so. Was changed shortly after and could never get them this close again.

qP4Jnst.jpg

There response when asked about it was that they never intended the AI to be Blue Angels quality...

:thumbup:

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals