Flaps optimal position in combat?

Hi, just not sure whats the best position to choose for flaps when in combat in the F5 and what would be the correct management of them during corner speed situations so I would like to know some tips about this...iirc in manual is not very clear and sugest you to use them in "auto" position but when doing tight turns, I guess they should increase drag more than improving lift but not sure if they are good or bad.

Also, AI F-5's seems to NOT use them in combat, at least in the BFM campaing.

thanks!!

Take a look at my MODS here

auto is good, if you know how to use manual, even better, but if you don't know how to set them manually, you can make it worse...

Auto is good for starting, and mostly it helps a lot, depends on the speed, they create more lift (in lower speeds) or create more drag (high speeds)

AI uses SFM and doesn't need to use flaps or they never use flaps in combat

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've found auto-flaps will hurt my chances of recovering energy loss.

Entering an engagement, I'm at good speed/high energy state. If I'm having to pull into a turn, auto-flaps seems to skip the less draggy fixed flap setting and go full. While it may provide max lift, it also adds a ton of drag reducing energy faster. The jet doesnt have the oomph to power out of that low energy state with full flaps, forcing an unload for a time.

I've began playing with manually placing (throttle switch) the flaps into the fixed position after the initial turn and then adjust up or down from there. Is it correct? I dont know but have found it's easier to maintain energy longer until the fight ends up low and slow.

Just my $.02

I often manually retract them after takeoff until 350 kts to reduce drag.

As for dogfighting:

Auto. The flaps are scheduled to move proportionally with AoA until a certain Mach number (with a small amount of delay) One trick is to structure your maneuvers around the auto flap system. I usually pull just enough to get the flaps moving before really digging into the turn. Airframe buffeting indicates you're pulling too hard for the current flap position and energy bleed will increase significantly.

If you need to run away or gain energy in a straight line, putting them up doesn't hurt, but 99% of the time they'll already be up if you're in auto.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Nice tips guys!!:thumbup:

Thats what I felt also, when turning at high g's, I felt like the plane suffered "too much" with the flaps on auto...will have to check colsely to see whats better. Btw, I cant beat any of the 3 F-5 in the similar BFM combat in mision 1 :doh:, we always spend the 5 minutes or I got killed. No matter what I do, at the end the AI is on my six :gun_rifle::gun_rifle::gun_rifle: and Im not sure if my flaps has something to do with this (probably not :D)

Take a look at my MODS here