Mission 12 - lost in frustration

rge75

I'm actually stuck in mission 12 having problems to trigger an event.

See spoiler for details if you already played mission 12.

- So how long do you have to hover over the cargo ship? And is there a slight movement allowed?

- does it matter where you hover above the ship? Above the cargo? front, rear of the ship?

- what's the maximum/minimum altitude to trigger the event?

- is the bearing or relevance?

I only once got the message "go, go, go - keep it steady" or something like this. But I probably wasn't calm enough. I did several attempts to get above the ship again and I also hovered above it, but maybe I still was not calm enough.

After approx. 30 minutes of hovering attempts (was already slightly bugged because I had to restart the mission for the 4th time after being shot down), I simply lost patience and concentration and I crashed into the sea.

Oh well, it's probably better luck another day...

I'm actually stuck in mission 12 having problems to trigger an event.

See spoiler for details if you already played mission 12.

- So how long do you have to hover over the cargo ship? And is there a slight movement allowed?

- does it matter where you hover above the ship? Above the cargo? front, rear of the ship?

- what's the maximum/minimum altitude to trigger the event?

- is the bearing or relevance?

I only once got the message "go, go, go - keep it steady" or something like this. But I probably wasn't calm enough. I did several attempts to get above the ship again and I also hovered above it, but maybe I still was not calm enough.

After approx. 30 minutes of hovering attempts (was already slightly bugged because I had to restart the mission for the 4th time after being shot down), I simply lost patience and concentration and I crashed into the sea.

Oh well, it's probably better luck another day...

Since you are getting these messages it seems that you are doing fine. You have to keep it steady a little longer. I know it's difficult in these weather conditions.

Try to trim you helicopter first and you will have no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

I only got the message once and not anymore....so obviously I did't do that well. I'm using trimming, but I anyway have problems to stay above the target.

In the briefing, the wind is mentioned 160°. So it's best to have a heading of 340°? I tried different approaches, but hovering at bad weather is probably a bit above my current skills.

I only got the message once and not anymore....so obviously I did't do that well. I'm using trimming, but I anyway have problems to stay above the target.

In the briefing, the wind is mentioned 160°. So it's best to have a heading of 340°? I tried different approaches, but hovering at bad weather is probably a bit above my current skills.

it was easier for me to hover over the cargo area looking the bow of the ship. You also have to be really low for the soldiers to fast rope.

Hope this will help you .

You have to hover above the round missile-containers. That's what worked for me. I kept a steady hover for ages over the square containers in the bow without success at first. Hover above the round ones, closer to the superstructure of the vessel.

Finally managed the mission (almost lost the chopper when trying to land on the base again...). But IMO this mission was a bit too difficult. It might be "easy" for all the pro's out there, but there are also less skilled pilots around.

You should be proud and consider yourself a pro now !!

Well done!!!! I hope that your hard work during this mission paid you off!

Thanks, but I should have saved the replay...you wouldn't call me pro anymore ;-) It took me around 45 minutes (with time compression), so you get an idea.

The reason why I think it was too difficult was because it was more than one difficult task:

- taking out the boats (once I had to restart because the Major was KIA)

- hovering above the cargo ship at heavy wind at really low altitude

- landing on the Argo also at heavy wind

Furthermore, if you have to redo the mission over and over again (I think I tried 12 to 15 times) gets a bit annoying because you always have to do the cold start, the closing up into formation and the flight to the ship. So you always "lose" around 10 minutes.

The good thing was that the hovering time seems to be summed up. So if you manage to hover a few seconds again and again, it will anyway trigger the event (similiar like in the submarine mission, I think mission 2).

But don't get me wrong, overall I still think the campaign is great and well done. And I know that it's not easy to find the "correct" difficulty because the skills are so different.

I agree that having to re-do the same thing over and over again gets tedious quickly. There should be a save feature in the sim. It's already on the wish list since long ago.

Anyhow, you have to agree that successfully completing a mission gets so much sweeter the more you worked for it! Congrats!

In a way, I'm glad there's no save feature. Otherwise I'd probably save all the time and I would have already finished the campaign. But I suppose sort of a checkpoint after 5 attempts could be nice.

Well, if you only play the mission and not the campaign, you could simply watch the replay right before you crashed and then you could chose "take control" to continue from that point. But this won't work in the campaign because it seems that you don't get the 100 points in the end. So even if you'd finish the mission, you'd have to redo it again.

Yeah, I agree...it sorts of separates the men from boys, haha ;-)

I think the same way.. I had no Problem flying mission 8, really ez flying just patience and focus, but this Mission 12 made me sick, i almost crashed into the ship several times cause of the weather, really hard imo..

Finally managed the mission (almost lost the chopper when trying to land on the base again...). But IMO this mission was a bit too difficult. It might be "easy" for all the pro's out there, but there are also less skilled pilots around.

• 2 years later...

Well, I just crashed into the ship because I couldn't see that rope trigger happening, and I was kind of losing patience. Anwyay, I guess I did the funnier part, I'll just skip.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Well, I just crashed into the ship because I couldn't see that rope trigger happening, and I was kind of losing patience. Anwyay, I guess I did the funnier part, I'll just skip.

Hello we will check Missions 12, and report back to you. If there is a bug with the mission we will fix it and it should be available in the next update.

Hovering the helicopter over the ship in this weather is difficult but it worth's the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey petritis. As always, thanks for the support.

On my first try, I was hovering above the stern. After reading Sharkku's message, I decided to give it a second try, by hovering above the middle part of the ship, right in front of the navigation bridge. This time, I got the first message very quickly, then 5-10 seconds later, the crew was onboard the ship. I was then able to accomplish the mission. :)

I'm not sure the dialogs mention a specific part of the ship to hover above.

• 4 months later...

Also having trouble here. One helicopter vs four gun boats - they always shoot me down. If I get my co-pilot to do the shooting, he hits the cargo boat most of the time instead of the gun boats. And as soon as I get pointed at the gun boats, they blast me out of the sky in short order. Any tips?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Two issues here :

Avoid being hit

To avoid facing all four gun boats at the same time, I've placed my helicopter so only one or two of the gun boats were appearing (the other ones were masked by the cargo ship). You have to fly low to make it work. Last but not least, approach slowly and from a distance.

Hit your targets and don't hit the cargo ship

I shot the rounds myself, as the pilot, with a decent trimming, and from a long distance. The cargo ship was not located behind my targets, but on the left or the right. This way, I barely hit the cargo ship.

One last thing: be patient. Take them out one by one, and if you know you're too close, make a half-turn and redo your approach.

Are there any missions where I can practice this? I'm spending 15 or 20 minutes in the mission to get to the action point just to get shot down immediately upon gun boat spawning.

Granted, I know my formation flying needs work, but still. If I should create my own mission in the editor, which I've never done, what is the boat asset called?

Edit - holy carp. Just tried again for the fifth time and was able to damage one of the boats 3% before they destroyed me. I have no idea how anybody is able to survive them.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Are there any missions where I can practice this? I'm spending 15 or 20 minutes in the mission to get to the action point just to get shot down immediately upon gun boat spawning.

Granted, I know my formation flying needs work, but still. If I should create my own mission in the editor, which I've never done, what is the boat asset called?

Edit - holy carp. Just tried again for the fifth time and was able to damage one of the boats 3% before they destroyed me. I have no idea how anybody is able to survive them.

Hey unlikely_spider, there are many ways on how to destroy the speedboats, i know that it is a pain since they are really small. I will tell a few ways that might help you.

During testing i used to make high speed low passes over the targets and turn around for the others. Another way is to use your copilot, try to fly the chopper really steady and let him do the job, but first you have to . Also a third way is to jump into copilots seat and use the guns, the good thing here is that the guns can move wherever you want. Just be careful since when you use the copilots seat you have to turn on the autopilot!!!!! And final but no least you can use the skip mission option from F10 menu.

I hope these methods will help you.

In the mission editor you can find them as armed speedboats. On mission editor click the ship icon, change the country into "insurgents" and change the type to armed speedboats.

Here is a video from Grim Reapers on how to add ships in DCS Mission Editor.

Ok, thanks much.

Edit - after practicing boat killing in a mission that I made for myself, I was able to complete the mission (in a heavily damaged helicopter). I decided to engage straight/level autopilot, then use the flex guns in the left seat. Then take control after passing them, taking evasive maneuvers for a bit, then turn around and repeat.

Btw, this campaign is difficult but fun and varied. I've improved my skills a lot in its course. (I did skip the two nighttime missions where you aren't allowed NVGs after I died in both. I completed the later nighttime one where you are allowed goggles the first time.)

Edited by unlikely_spider

• 2 months later...

I have to say, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by the uncanny accuracy of a .50cal bobbing around in a small boat in rough seas. I'm becoming an expert in forming up with my partner and time compressing to the target zone, but I'm having very little success here. Best I've ever done is 30% damage on a speedboat.

I've tried swerving attacks, diving attacks, pop-up attacks, hovering behind the ship and sideslipping to get an unmask. If I let the AI gunner do it, my gunner can't hit anything even if I try flying straight/level (with obvious results from the .50cal), or for whatever reason he decides to stop shooting when the enemy are in the open.

I'm open to some significant suggestions here. So far, my best bet seems to be flying around at a distance and waiting for the boats to run out of ammo.

Edited by 3Star

I flew very low so the cargo ship would mask me. I hovered, sideslipped very slowly until I saw one ship at such a distance that it couldn't engage me, and I shot it myself from the pilot POV. Lots of rounds fired to get it, but it worked. I then proceeded to the next target.

Of course, you need trim a lot.

I have to say, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by the uncanny accuracy of a .50cal bobbing around in a small boat in rough seas. I'm becoming an expert in forming up with my partner and time compressing to the target zone, but I'm having very little success here. Best I've ever done is 30% damage on a speedboat.

I've tried swerving attacks, diving attacks, pop-up attacks, hovering behind the ship and sideslipping to get an unmask. If I let the AI gunner do it, my gunner can't hit anything even if I try flying straight/level (with obvious results from the .50cal), or for whatever reason he decides to stop shooting when the enemy are in the open.

I'm open to some significant suggestions here. So far, my best bet seems to be flying around at a distance and waiting for the boats to run out of ammo.

Install DCS 1.5.7 (not 1.5.8!, incredibly stupid AI). This is how I do it, 2.x.y is still just for flying around for me.

Most DLC campaigns where made for the 1.x.y branch, and got broken one way or the other when going 2.x.y.

The gunns on the Huey are highly inefficient since a couple of updates ago.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I'm having trouble with this stage myself. I've tried it firing as pilot and letting the AI take the flex-mount. Checking in Tacview we seem to be landing plenty of hits but we're not sinking anything. I'll give it another go but I feel that the guns really aren't up to the task since they were updated.

Update.

I've done a few tests. Not very scientific, just me and a speedboat in a quick mission. I am not the best shot but it takes me about 20% of my ammo to sink a boat. The AI with flex managed a best of two boats for 30% of the ammo, typicaly 20%+ per boat and on one occasion 42% of ammo for a single target.

In Tacview hits are recorded as a number and it seems to vary from over 200 to over 600. Not sure if that is meant to represent individual bullets but 600+ mini gun rounds into a boat sounds like a lot.

Edited by John C Flett