Control all units?

STP Dragon

Hi,

In the Editor, will it be possible to decide which ground unit can be controled and which not?

Or can the CA player control every unit in his coallition?

Command Roles

A new function that Combined Arms introduces is the ability to set ground command roles and the

number of players that can take each role (for multiplayer). Roles include:

• Ground Commanders that control all types of friendly ground forces.

• JTACs that provide unique features to designate ground targets for close air support.

• Game Masters that see and control all units from both sides.

• Observers that can view all of the action, but not direct any units.

from here: forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89468

Could be a problem in Mission design I guess. You allow Game Masters, ground commanders, you can spoil AI units.

Observers may cheat/spy for opposite faction...

Still no precise info if the JTAC Human/client slot can be defined for each JTAC unit individually ( what I would prefer) or if a player JTAC may hop into every JTAC unit on the field, according to his side?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It would nice in the ME if we could set units to be dedicated AI only and not available to be manned. I also wonder how players who man a lead vehicle in a group of ground units are supposed to know exactly what their task (as set by the miz builder) is unless of course they are in TS with the battle commander.

All I know is that for CA missions, the miz briefs are going to have to be a lot more detailed !

• Like 1

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

@ Druid: that is exactly my fear. If it is not possible to decide what unit can be controlled and what unit can'T be controlled, I think I will not add this function to my missions.

Else it will be a perfect caos!

I think we'll have to wait and see what CA brings. Another option would be to have briefings for group leaders or at the very least allow them to see the waypoints and instructions (e.g ROI, FIRE AT POINT etc) that were set by the miz builder. If they decide not to follow those instructions due to situation or battle commanders instructions then that's fine by me. It's adds the human element which current AI can't mimic.

I'm sure over time these things will be worked out. Some things will work and some won't, changes will be made and we'll mostly all be happy.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

man I can remember my days in the commanders briefing with all the platoon leader just before jump off. :thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

A new function that Combined Arms introduces is the ability to set ground command roles and the number of players that can take each role (for multiplayer). Roles include:

• JTACs that provide unique features to designate ground targets for close air support.

The language here suggests the following:

1. Ground Commander role and JTAC role are different, so it should be safe to have player-controlled JTAC at the very least.

2. The Ground Commander role you're concerned about can be limited to a number of players, but not to specific players. There can probably be many ground commanders.

3. "The ability to set ground command roles" could mean, albeit with less certainty, that the Ground Commander roles can be set to have command over specific forces, rather than all ground commanders sharing absolute control over all forces.

Worst case scenario: write your mission with no ground commanders allowed, just some JTAC player slots.

Seems very unlikely: the ability to lock roles to particular players by ID or password. You can't lock aircraft slots that way, after all.

You probably won't want to have public server missions with ground commander slots where those slots have control over a large number of troops or control over mission-critical troops. Instead I would plan, at least for now, to give ground commanders control over platoon-sized forces or smaller. It seems a good idea to make sure those troops are supplementary to the action, rather than integral to it, if you're planning for an open game where players can come and go.

Another snippet I missed that suggests you'll get what you want as a mission creator:

Both cooperative and head-to-head missions can be played with at least 32 players occupying various ground command and aircraft command roles.

This is to still be determined. There is no answer yet.

Please wags, let add a checkbox "Controllable by Combined Arms" to every Ground Unit.

Or a "Skill Dropdown" like for the aircrafts.

This is very important for the missions, else it will be a perfect caos.

When I check the checkbox "hide on map" in the editor, will the CA client even be able to see this unit on his F10 map and control it?

Please wags, let add a checkbox "Controllable by Combined Arms" to every Ground Unit.

+1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

When I check the checkbox "hide on map" in the editor, will the CA client even be able to see this unit on his F10 map and control it?

For all units on his side he should be able to. However for enemy units I believe that initially he will not. Once a friendly unit observes an enemy unit and it is reported (by some means yet to be determined) then that enemy unit will appear in the F10 map. I believe this is what is called 'fog of war'.

+2

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

For all units on his side he should be able to. However for enemy units I believe that initially he will not. Once a friendly unit observes an enemy unit and it is reported (by some means yet to be determined) then that enemy unit will appear in the F10 map. I believe this is what is called 'fog of war'.

You can already see this in action in DCS:-World

Nate

The language here suggests the following:

A new function that Combined Arms introduces is the ability to set ground command roles and the number of players that can take each role (for multiplayer). Roles include:

1. Ground Commander role and JTAC role are different, so it should be safe to have player-controlled JTAC at the very least.

2. The Ground Commander role you're concerned about can be limited to a number of players, but not to specific players. There can probably be many ground commanders.

3. "The ability to set ground command roles" could mean, albeit with less certainty, that the Ground Commander roles can be set to have command over specific forces, rather than all ground commanders sharing absolute control over all forces.

Worst case scenario: write your mission with no ground commanders allowed, just some JTAC player slots.

Seems very unlikely: the ability to lock roles to particular players by ID or password. You can't lock aircraft slots that way, after all.

You probably won't want to have public server missions with ground commander slots where those slots have control over a large number of troops or control over mission-critical troops. Instead I would plan, at least for now, to give ground commanders control over platoon-sized forces or smaller. It seems a good idea to make sure those troops are supplementary to the action, rather than integral to it, if you're planning for an open game where players can come and go.

The highlighted line is of concern with people able to observe all sides that opens up a can of worms for unsportsman like conduct. A "Gods Eye" on the battlefield can eliminate that fog of war and uncertainty of enemy positions. Useful in the mission editor part, but not for gameplay please.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

The highlighted line is of concern with people able to observe all sides that opens up a can of worms for unsportsman like conduct. A "Gods Eye" on the battlefield can eliminate that fog of war and uncertainty of enemy positions. Useful in the mission editor part, but not for gameplay please.

Observers are different from spectators and they must be placed in a mission in order to exist, as you can see in this post by Wags: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1474102&postcount=4

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum