update - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
xylem

ok, guys. Very grateful for your suggestions; and I agree that I should reinstall. It's been so long since I did this that I don't remember how I did it. I assume I uninstall just 'DCS world', and reinstall, correct? I also have LOMAC still installed from 10 or 12 yrs ago-can I uninstall that or do I still need it? I also have blackshark and assume I should keep it? I also bought A!0C and a number of missions and campaigns- will they be returned to my account or do I have to search for codes or receipts?

Sorry to be so nubish. And I really appreciate your help.....
Old 12-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
BIGNEWY
Senior

LOMAC is old, and unsupported now.

Do you have the original blackshark? or blackshark 2, BS2 will work with the new DCSWorld BS1 will not

Yes un-install and also delete your DCS folder in saved game so you can start fresh C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS

Latest DCS can be found here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c.../world/stable/

minimum / recommended specification here

Quote:
Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Make sure all of your keys are bound to your ED account here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...nal/licensing/

just login and check your keys are bound to your account correctly, then when you login ingame your modules will download via the ingame module manager

some FAQs Here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/

hope it helps
Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
xylem

Hello BIGNEWY.

I was interrupted by the holidays but am back now trying to get DCS reinstalled. I followed your advice: uninstalled and deleted DCS folder in saved games. I D/L'd the program from your link and reinstalled.

I still have no success. When I try to run DCS I get a screen which is blank except for the words "DCS not responding." I also get a window screen saying "DCS has stopped working" and "problem caused PGm to stop working correctly."

I will enclose my log file. As you can see all errors are of the nature " VFS: can't mount...."

I am sorry to take up your time but I wonder if you could give me your advise on this problem?

Thanks....

edit: I also tried disabling both the anti-virus and firewall. The only difference is that instead of a blank screen I now get the black DCS splash screen, but all else is the same and program won't start. I have also tried the 'repair' function and that didn't help either.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Logs.zip (266.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by xylem; 01-10-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #14
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Is your graphic card Radeon HD 4870?
DCS requires DX11 support, while Radeon HD 4870 is DX10 only

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 2TB SSD + 1TB HDD |
| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
xylem

Hmmm. Never thought of that. This problem only started with the V155 update.
My machine is running DX12 and DxDiagnosis shows no problem, and all other programs run fine.

Can anyone suggest what video card would run on my machine?

Is there a way to run another version of DCS? If not I guess I'm out of the game for a while...

Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #16
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
Hmmm. Never thought of that. This problem only started with the V155 update.
My machine is running DX12 and DxDiagnosis shows no problem, and all other programs run fine.

Can anyone suggest what video card would run on my machine?

Is there a way to run another version of DCS? If not I guess I'm out of the game for a while...

Thanks
could you try to delete the fxo and metashader folder under saved game/dcs.xxx?
or if possible, delete the whole dcs.openalpha folder (or rename it)

then, reinstall DX, graphic driver, and vs redistribute packages (in dcs xxx installation folder/distr/) and try.

Can you play DCS 1.5.4?

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #17
xylem

Hi uboats. several comments:

I assume I played v1.5.4 but not sure. I generally just update when a msg appears during load, and I just did that for 155. After that nothing worked.

I looked at the specs for my video card and you are correct- it does not indicate support for anything above DX 10. In fact my machine does seem to be getting along in age but I don't have time now to build another one. I did however order a new graphics card and it arrived today.

My plan is to install the new card and see if it resolves the problem. If it does not then I will try your other remedies. With regard to that I have a couple of questions: fxo is in 'saved games' but metashaders are in 'bazar' in the DCS install folder - Is that the folder I should delete? and I assume you ment 'vcredist_64.exe', is that correct?

In any case I should have the card in by next week. And I am very grateful for you help.

-Tom

btw- I served several years in the Submarine Service so I like your moniker
Old 01-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #18
BIGNEWY
Senior

It will be the card, directx 10.1 users seemed to get away with it for a while but as 1.5 progressed only Directx 11 cards will do now.

Enjoy your new card when it arrives
Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #19
uboats
ED Tester / ED Moderator

Quote:
fxo is in 'saved games' but metashaders are in 'bazar' in the DCS install folder - Is that the folder I should delete?
Yes fxo under saved game, but for 1.5.x no metashader in saved game.
My suggestion is to delete the bin folder of DCS, and fxo/metashader and missioneditor folder (all in dcs installation folder). And then make a repair. Then try DCS again.

Quote:
'vcredist_64.exe', is that correct?
correct.
also try to repair your windows config. Install/uninstall other software may change the system config, and subsequently affect other software.
also try to re-install DX, graphic driver (latest)

Old 01-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #20
xylem

OK. And thanks for your help guys.

regards

Tags
bin, exe file, update