L-39 manual errors & typos

Rotorhead

Here is the current updated version of pages 8-101.

Please let us know if you find any errors or odd-sounding sentences.

Will ED release the new version of user manual from page 1 to 226 in new layout as in the "update version of page 8-101" will be very much appreciated.

ED manual page 177, 179

Unbenannt.JPG.863c3da6bc02e20a4f534a034eaf39c6.JPG

For flying in glide path mode is necessary:

• check is course pointer is set to landing course;

• «LANDING- NAVIG- GLIDE PATH» mode selector switch set to «GLIDE PATH»;

course deviation pointer on RMI and ADI bank steering pointer show airplane position relative to RSBN beacon;

• glideslope deviation pointer on RMI and pitch steering pointer on ADI show airplane position relative to glide path trajectory.

• PPD-2 indicates distance to RSBN beacon.

We have two different terms (heading deviation pointer / course deviation pointer) for the same component of the RMI. Which one is correct?

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

ED manual, page 178

Krymsk and Mozdok airfield have PRMG equipment for landing from both directions.

Pilots must know position of a RSBN beacon and take it into account while approaching airfield and performing landing approach. One must remember that landing course depends on window direction set in the mission editor.

To ease navigation during airfield approaching and landing

The "window direction" should be read "wind direction".

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

Guys, can anyone explain to me the following highlighted sentence from p. 1-112 of the real flight manual:

A combined double filament landing/taxi light is mounted to the tip of each wing tip tank. The difference between these lights is that the landing light filament beam covers a larger all-round pattern.
The way I understand it:

2. Two landing/taxi lights: one combined landing/taxi light with two filaments is mounted to the tip of each wing tip tank. The difference between landing and taxi lights is the width of the light beam. Taxi lights have a wide beam, because they illuminate the runway / taxiway while moving on the ground during darkness and provide illumination just in front of the nose. Landing lights have a narrower beam, because they are used to illuminate the terrain and runway ahead during takeoff and landing from greater distances.

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

If we work on the premise that the original Aero L-39 manual is error-free, the problem is the definition of "larger all-round pattern".

1. Landing light filament

Aero manual:

Landing light filament beam covers a larger all-round pattern. When set to "LAND.", the landing lights remain on irrespectively of the landing gear position. Using the LANDING lights on the ground or during taxi is not recommended longer then 3 sec due to lamp overheat.

Simulation:

Screen_151123_001556.thumb.jpg.1d1acb4bc169e0a6ff5000c5aeb48611.jpg

Screen_151123_001108.thumb.jpg.cf03dc2bfc2a4c105c8aaa8853ea1a36.jpg

We have a narrow beam with landing light on. It remains switched on, even if the landing gear is retracted.

2. Taxi light filament

Aero manual:

When set to "TAX.", a terminal switch causes the taxi lights to go off automatically upon landing gear retraction.

Simulation:

Screen_151123_001601.thumb.jpg.6c7cca13b7997ca34710c1a87a444136.jpg

Screen_151123_001102.thumb.jpg.283f7851d24537555df2fd3423978e47.jpg

Wide beam. Taxi light goes off with retraction of the landing gear.

All in all I think your elaboration is perfectly okay, because it gives an idea of what "larger all-round pattern" could mean. It is a pleasure to see that someone equalizes the partly bulky sections of the manual. The community will be grateful, me too.

Edited by Lino_Germany

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

the exact landing and taxi lights are ok;) more interedujcie lights from the chassis because they shine all the time of takeoff and landing and can not be any switch them off; (This is a problem today to solve. !!!!

LIGHTING SYSTEM

The aircraft lighting equipment is basically divided into three essential subsystems: exterior and interior lighting subsystems and warning, caution and advisory indicator subsystem.

EXTERIOR LIGHTING

The aircraft exterior lighting equipment consists of the following lights:

- two landing/taxi lights

- one left-hand red position light

- one right-hand green position light

- one tail, white position light

- three white landing gear down lights, one on each landing gear

POSITION LIGHTS (NAV LIGHTS)

The NAV lights are controlled by two three-position switches, located on the right console auxiliary switch panel in the forward cockpit (position lights control panel "NAVIG. LIGHTS"):

- Mode control - can be selected to flash position "FLICKER", middle OFF or steady "FIXED" position.

- Intensity control "BRIGHTNESS" - can be selected to DIM (30%), BRT (60%) or MAX (100%). This switch functions only if the mode control switch is out of OFF position.

The NAV lights are powered by 28 V DC and protected by the "NAV. LIGHTS/HAND LAMP" CB on the Aft CB/ Swich Panel in the forward cockpit.

LANDING GEAR DOWN LIGHTS

A white "landing gear down" light is mounted on each landing gear strut. The lights are automatically switched on, by a terminal switch, when the landing gear is extended, provided that the navigation light switch is not in OFF position. The circuit is protected by "NAV. LIGHTS/HAND LAMP" CB on the Aft CB/Switch Panel.

Could you do photo editor as the setting waypoints and point to charge much I asked for photos and explanation

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2535283&postcount=1

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

If we work on the premise that the original Aero L-39 manual is error-free, the problem is the definition of "larger all-round pattern".

1. Landing light filament

Aero manual:

Simulation:

2. Taxi light filament

Aero manual:

Simulation:

All in all I think your elaboration is perfectly okay, because it gives an idea of what "larger all-round pattern" could mean. It is a pleasure to see that someone equalizes the partly bulky sections of the manual. The community will be grateful, me too.

Well, also your screenshots show that it makes no sense to use the landing light in this implementation as the landing beam is not only narrower but even a bit shorter than the taxi light.

Keep in mind that the aircraft stands on ground. The light beam of the landing light points more in direction of the aircrafts longitudinal axis.

Lino, I also thought so - but it is not the case, the beam is the same when the aircraft is in the air. Look here please for situation before landing, the landing light does not help at all (55 metres above the ground):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153027

Lino, I also thought so - but it is not the case, the beam is the same when the aircraft is in the air. Look here please for situation before landing, the landing light does not help at all (55 metres above the ground):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153027

You are absolutely right, Dr_Arrow. After testing I also come to the conclusion that there is no benefit in using the landing lights.

@derelor: If there are no plans by ED to fix this, all your explanations in the flight manual refer to the real L-39C and not the simulated one. Until now the "larger all-round pattern" rests with the taxi light.

Edited by Lino_Germany

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

If there are no plans by ED to fix this...

Why wouldn't there be...? It's obviously a bug.

As for the explanation, wide beam/narrow beam isn't really applicable here. That's how it might work on other planes where you have these light separated and with different lenses, but L-39 has only one reflector with different fillaments inside the lamp (and there's also a restriction of using the landing lights on ground). You can't change the illumination pattern (e.g. make it narrower) by turning up the power, that's why the real thing say "larger all-around pattern". That's all there is to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ED manual page 212

When engine operates from EFS:

• fuel regulator automatics and electrical stop valve do not operate;

• do not allow engine RPM drop of less than 56% at altitudes of up to 2000 m. and 60 % at altitudes of 2000 m;

• up to 2000 m. engine RPM should not exceed 103%, from 2000 m. and up to 8000 m. – 99%.

• changing engine operation mode from «IDLE» to «NOM» should take not less than 15 seconds;

What does "altitudes of 2000 m" mean? For this specific flight altitude a specific thrust adjustment? Might it be the case that it should be read "and 60 % at altitudes of 2000 m and above"?

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

ED manual page 212

What does "altitudes of 2000 m" mean? For this specific flight altitude a specific thrust adjustment? Might it be the case that it should be read "and 60 % at altitudes of 2000 m and above"?

I checked in russian manual, yes you are right.

Should be: "and 60 % at altitudes of 2000 m and above"

Thanks for feedback!

ED manual page 214

LANDING GEAR NON-EXTENSION (EMERGENCY GEAR EXTENSION)

Symptoms:

• some (one or two) of three green lamps, indicating successful gear extraction, is/are off;

• mechanical flap pointers are not extended completely;

mechanical flap pointers --> mechanical gear pointers

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

• 2 weeks later...

ED manual, page 219: "Forced Landing"

I do not understand some contents of the "Forced Landing" chapter.

Here is an extract:

Unbenannt1.JPG.c97dcd7ffa9de0eee27a79ab2de6776b.JPG

1. What does "К maks." mean?

Could it be the glide ratio "E" (lift to drag ratio) or the glide number "ε" or just horizontal distance?

2. Can someone explain the blue bordered equation? For me that didn´t make any sense.

3. Do I really need to know the height above sea level of the outer beacon of my emergency landing field?

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

1. K maks is an aerodynamic quality.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D1%8D%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B5_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE

For L-39 Kmaks is 10.

2,3 Lglide is a gliding distance. Hflight is an initial altitude from which glide is started.

HouterNDB is a control altitude over outer NDB, normally 1 km.