Improvements To The Ka-50 to Include New Graphical Effects & Rendering Technologies!

Devrim

I'm now seeing the ground crew menu - but after requesting "Set up NVG" there is no response - door open or closed makes no difference.

Still trying other suggestions (really shouldn't be necessary if they are starting you on the runway, warm and ready to take-off, like I said before).

Beacon is still shining straight through the cockpit like a disco and for some reason my TrackIR isn't responding to F9/F12 (no they are not set up in DCS and it normally works fine). Should be in my Rift, of course, but don't get me started on that...

Edit:

Okay, now I have switched the radio to ground crew (despite that I can still hear everyone else) and I got a response. I also used the F keys instead of the mouse, on the comms menu. After they said they had fitted the NVG, I took off and attempted to switch it on - nothing. I have double-checked that my HOTAS assignment is correct, for NVG and for brightness control - but it does nothing. Maybe it has a warm-up time?

This is where I give up and go back to 1.5.8 and enjoy my VR experience :) - oh, and see if it works in that...

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

...After they said they had fitted the NVG, I took off and attempted to switch it on - nothing. I have double-checked that my HOTAS assignment is correct...

Just to be sure, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, did you get the actual confirmation NVG was fitted a while after your order, or only the "copy" after giving the order then you took off?

The button you use for activating the NVG is the exact same as for the HMS. Is it that one you have maped?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Make sure your engines run on Power AFAIK the NVG is not working with battery Power only.

-Throttle needs to be on Auto (like always in flight)

-Generators on

With ground Power you do not need to have the Engines even Running as long as you use AC and DC Electric Power.

You can ask the Ground crew for Ground power aswell via the comms menu but External electric switches AC and DC need to be on. They are the switches just before and just behind the two battery switches on the Electric Panel with the Fuselage as reference.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

no, just checked, while cold with no battery or power whatsoever you can switch to nvg and they work straight off, with a totally dead shark, just straight from start

Thats a very strange bug than. Because i remember very well that i had to find the Battery switches first in the dark to get the NVG to work in the past. :D

Or they changed something…. but iam pretty sure its a bug.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Just a note about my experience guys, so you don't need to feel embarassed asking or advising really basic stuff - I've been flying the Shark since release of 1.0.0, flown a campaign, many of the single missions and online - so I'm pretty familiar with the systems.

Regarding ground power, I worked as groundcrew at Tempelhof airport in the 90's and my field was ground power, so I'm pretty aux faix with how power systems work for aircraft on the ground (I'm also a military veteran having served with Support Helicopter Force) :)

Having said that, of course it's easy to make a simple mistake or forget something, especially as things change over the years with these modules, so no worries ;)

One thing I am trying to remember is exactly what the NVG switch on the back panel does. I was pretty sure it controlled the UV cockpit lighting - which will show a shade of pink iirc from the Deployment campaign night missions. I'll have to get out the manual again and just hope the explanation is clear. tbh I've never been that happy with the Black Shark manual, but as it was the first DCS module I give them a bit of a break.

oh - the last "NVG" if you want to call it that, which I have used - in fact the only ones I've ever used in real life - where Starlight scopes on the FN SLR rifle - so not much use here! :D

IMG_0346.jpg

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Then I assume you already know about and tested the NVG intensity knob, in front of the cyclic. If not, its one of those three rotary knobs in the front panel. The other two are for the shkval, I don't remember which though. I have experienced sometimes that when first touch the knob the brightness jump to max instantly, then I can adjust it correctly. If not done already, just to rule it out, fiddle a little bit with it.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I have that assigned to my throttle panel - but unless the first switch does something, there's no point in doing anything with the others i.e. if it doesn't come on, I can't test the brightness. I did flick the switch I'm using up and down - but I'll do some more testing this evening. I'll try using the keyboard as well - like thrustvector said, the HOTAS assignments can't always be trusted.

I do remember having the experience you mention on the crash-out mission in Deployment (where the FARP is under attack and you have to get out ASAP). It was so bright I just switched it off and managed without it :)

Think that was my first experience of the NVG.

Kneeboard Guides

Hey Brix, how are you ? :p

I followed half the conversation so it may have nothing to do with your problem.

1) NVG switch is for UV lights, currently broken even if it is moddable to put them back. (values to be changed in mainpanel.lua)

2) NVG always worked without batteries.

3) Opened door while engines started doesn't work anymore, you need to set your radio on intercom.

4) If T/O from a base, you need to put a coalition vehicle on it or you won't be able to ask anything to GC. If T/O from FARP, well you know the music, you have a whole bunch of vehicles to put. Perhaps is it the missing piece for you there.

Bye ;)

Nicolas

Hi there - nice to 'see' you again :)

Thanks for the info - confirms a couple of things for me.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can add anything to the mission, as it's a default one that comes with the module (Night Patrol)- but I'll see if it's possible. Don't think it will make a difference, because like I said, at the start of the mission the helicopter is already started up and ready to take off on the runway and surely in this case the mission designer has everything set ready for the mission?

Anyway, I didn't have the time to try again yet, but hope to have a go today.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Kneeboard Guides

Right, I now have the NVG working - no idea what the difference was, but I just started up the mission (in VR this time as I now have that working well enough) and flipped the HMS on and on came the NVG. However, my HOTAS assignments for altering the brightness were not working - had to use the keyboard for that, and pressing 4 different keys simultaneously whilst in VR is not easy!

The problem with the NVG is that it is a juggle between the in-sim brightness levels and the options UI gamma level to try and get something at least half decent to make the NVGs useful.

With a higher gamma setting, the view outside is fantastic, with much detail visible, but this is way too bright for looking at anything in the cockpit, so I have to drop out and change the gamma to a lower setting for interacting with the cockpit.

Also, none of the texts can be read with the NVG on (or the game menus, for that matter) and as my Russian is pretty non-existent, it means I can't understand anything that is going on in the mission.

So not very satisfactory, really.

I had to switch that beacon disco light off, of course.

Normal setting:

Screen_180711_121035.png

Outside:

Screen_180711_121441.png

Screen_180711_121526.png

HUD was just a bright blur - but once I'd reduced the gamma back down to 1.7 and the brightness setting in-sim a little, the HUD was fine, but outside was not as good for spotting things that weren't nice an hot:

Screen_180711_121901.png

At least the VR was solid, at 45 fps, with ASW keeping things smooth.

Thanks for all suggestions - this is good enough to get on with things :)

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Good to hear it's working for you!

I pretty confident that you already tried the night/bad visibility HUD (yellow) with substantially reduced intensity, and no floodlight on (switch behind your left shoulder, 'K'). I only mention it because I haven't tested the NVG in 2.5.2 myself yet, but aware of the bugged lightning issues.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Yes, the bottom picture there is with the normal cockpit lights off and the night vision lighting on. I tried adjusting that level, too, but again didn't see any difference.

I'll have to fly the rest of the mission and see how I get on with it - could be fun.

Kneeboard Guides