Problem with M71 level delivery

Marcast

I made a test mission setting the waypoint B3 in the editor just over the target, a group of tanks. But when I fly the mission, I always get the release message much earlier than the target, as if the waypoint were in another place...:helpsmilie:

The quality of the video (480p) makes it pretty difficult to see what's going on (e.g. position of switches and knobs).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just to get some things right. You want to make a level release, so I guess you mean the first one of this table:

zbPfJWg.jpg

So you need to set the selector to BOMB PLAN and the master mode to ANF.

The procedure is as follows:

18gpSCi.jpg

Please cross-check to see if you did it correct. Especially check where you hit Trigger UNSAFE since that marks the target (only go Trigger UNSAFE when reticule is over target).

Also check whether your target waypoint is actually on the bad guys and not where your bombs fall in the video (fly in NAV mode to see the waypoint indicator).

Edited by Zabuza

If you're in master mode ANF it should appear.

The target ring should appear on the target waypoint (or next to it, depending on the precision of your NAV system and the resolution of the LOLA coordinates (~30m x 20m)).

As soon as the small dot in the center (the reticule) is on the target, go Trigger UNSAFE.

You'll then get the time to release line. Note that if you fly outside of the parameters the HUD symbology might "fall out of the HUD". In that case you can't see the timeline anymore and need to estimate the release point. But if you fly inside the usual parameters (try something like 0.8 mach and 150m) you should be able to see it. If using high drag bombs you need to fly lower.

There are some modes that work in NAV mode too, the quick modes. In those modes the "Trigger Unsafe to mark the target"-feature is not available. And if you want to deploy weapons from NAV mode you need to indicate that by going Trigger Unsafe (then you signal "I want to use a quick mode, give me attack symbology"). So for NAV quick modes you may use Trigger Unsafe when turning to the target. The procedure description in the manual then usually reads "go ANF or (NAV + Trigger UNSAFE)".

Edited by Zabuza

If I just want to drop bombs either when flying Level or in a shallow drive without a flight plan and way point target, what is the procedure ?

I've selected Bomb DYK> Nav> Trigger unsafe and bombs do not release.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks...

If I just want to drop bombs either when flying Level or in a shallow drive without a flight plan and way point target, what is the procedure ?

I've selected Bomb DYK> Nav> Trigger unsafe and bombs do not release.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks...

DYK is dive attack mode. You need to select BOMB PLAN.

Here is an overview of all bomb modes:

zbPfJWg.jpg

The mode Direct and CCIP are quick modes without any attached procedure.

In Direct the weapons just release when you hit the trigger (usually used when bombing together in a flight, flight leader uses Level mode and the rest releases in Direct mode on his command).

The CCIP mode replaces the Level mode if you have High Drag Bombs with you. It should be self-explanatory (first bomb hits the reticule, last bomb the circle mark on the HUD. Place target in between).

The mode Quick is a quick dive mode. So you will fly a dive bombing procedure (Pop-up, dive to target, place reticule on target, release when timeline in between marks).

The manual has exact procedures for all modes. Usually you use the mode Level or Precision (depending on the target).

Edited by Zabuza

CCIP mode appears to be more reliable and intuitive than level bombing. The manual's HUD symbology illustrations for level bombing are confusing: when am I supposed to pull the trigger? Only when the distance line appears? Even when I fly fast and at 200m radar altitude, the symbology still moves down out of the HUD before reaching the release point. I found that I could do a CCRP-esque release by holding trigger as soon as I designate the target and let the bombs release automatically. When I did so, the symbology has a reticle, a ring, a radar ranging fin, and three distance lines. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the ring, because if I follow it with the reticle I enter a shallow climb and the bombs eventually fall way way long. If I maintain 200m, the ring sort of drifts up and eventually out of the view, and automatic bomb release occurs shortly afterwards. I'm usually half a stick long consistently.

I've wasted two evenings trying to work this out. Maybe a simple official training mission is needed for each of these modes.

Screen_180320_202749.thumb.png.6c38e606d3aba11ed3070b7cc00538ae.png

CCIP mode appears to be more reliable and intuitive than level bombing. The manual's HUD symbology illustrations for level bombing are confusing: when am I supposed to pull the trigger? Only when the distance line appears? Even when I fly fast and at 200m radar altitude, the symbology still moves down out of the HUD before reaching the release point. I found that I could do a CCRP-esque release by holding trigger as soon as I designate the target and let the bombs release automatically. When I did so, the symbology has a reticle, a ring, a radar ranging fin, and three distance lines. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the ring, because if I follow it with the reticle I enter a shallow climb and the bombs eventually fall way way long. If I maintain 200m, the ring sort of drifts up and eventually out of the view, and automatic bomb release occurs shortly afterwards. I'm usually half a stick long consistently.

I've wasted two evenings trying to work this out. Maybe a simple official training mission is needed for each of these modes.

Honestly I don't think there's a right way to do it since I'm pretty sure it's bugged. I also spent a lot of time a while ago trying to figure this out, but based on my experiences and from what I've read here on the forum the plane itself seems to be broken in a lot of ways, so I'm waiting for the proper release from now on.