FAQ for F-15 AFM Development

cofcorpse

That I don't know. Cofcorpse? Are you here Cofcorpse? :D

Cool. Judging from the -1 info, it seems like ED has really polished the Eagle's FM nicely. She's a joy to fly. Also, my tires blew on t-o around 200ish kts which never happened to me before 1.5.5, so maybe that's further evidence of some tweaking...

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• ED Team
That I don't know. Cofcorpse? Are you here Cofcorpse? :D

Why summoned me?

Some changes were made with tires, as I remember. But about FM I can't say right now. Need to refresh logs. But I think there is possibility that is just different feeling.

Last couple of months we were focused mainly on releasing F-5E

Edited by cofcorpse

They probably shouldn't blow up that easily - you should be able to take off with a 70000lbs weight and you'll probably need that kind of speed. (Yes, you COULD launch and land the aircraft in RL beyond MGTOW, though we cannot put enough weight on the aircraft in-game).

Even some airshow techniques specify a 200kts T/O speed, IIRC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Oh, yep - just about the roll rates.

I'd love to talk about the tyres/struts as well though, for two reasons:

1) Blowing them up at 200 is too early (would it be possible to give them progressive damage like g-overload type of damage? :D ) IMHO.

2) Crosswind landings are a problem, but maybe we should take that to an off-line discussion ... after 1.5.5 tests. The problem specifically is that, once you land, there's too much stiffness in the struts/tyres. The x-wind landing technique basically says that you land crabbed and the tyres set you straight, but in-game you bounce like crazy instead. I'll produce a track for you whenever you're ready to have a look.

I think the struts just might need either more or a different kind of elasticity :)

Maybe the tyres themselves need some ummm ... Advanced Tyre Physics Model, simulate that they already spun up in the wind etc... I don't know, just throwing some ideas out :)

Why summoned me?

Some changes were made with tires, as I remember. But about FM I can't say right now. Need to refresh logs. But I think there is possibility that is just different feeling

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm killing F-15s in the F-5E as an aggressor in NTTR. Punishment for not doing your radar-work correctly :D

( ... but when the radar work IS done correctly ... :P )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, yep - just about the roll rates.

I'd love to talk about the tyres/struts as well though, for two reasons:

1) Blowing them up at 200 is too early (would it be possible to give them progressive damage like g-overload type of damage? :D ) IMHO.

2) Crosswind landings are a problem, but maybe we should take that to an off-line discussion ... after 1.5.5 tests. The problem specifically is that, once you land, there's too much stiffness in the struts/tyres. The x-wind landing technique basically says that you land crabbed and the tyres set you straight, but in-game you bounce like crazy instead. I'll produce a track for you whenever you're ready to have a look.

I think the struts just might need either more or a different kind of elasticity :)

Maybe the tyres themselves need some ummm ... Advanced Tyre Physics Model, simulate that they already spun up in the wind etc... I don't know, just throwing some ideas out :)

Thanks, gents. And ditto on GG's xwind landing sensitivity. As far as the blowouts go, my 200ish kts may have been closer to 215. :smilewink:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I'm killing F-15s in the F-5E as an aggressor in NTTR. Punishment for not doing your radar-work correctly :D

( ... but when the radar work IS done correctly ... :P )

Care to share any ideas how to do the radar work correctly? I find that I lose targets on radar as they get closer to my F-15... For example the instant action mission, I hit the burners and climb to 30k ft and try to get a TWS shot off at the two MIG-23's with the AIM-120B's sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I find that they often disappear from my radar often as they get below 20 miles distance from me... Also another thing that bugs me is when I try to target them both I get a STT lock on one of them because they are so close I can't bug the other until they get close to my F-15

Any advice? I don't want MIG-23's spanking me with IR missiles much less F-5E's... If I get past that, the MIG-29's and 27's always give me a spanking because they spawn too damn close to me.

One thing you might consider doing is not getting so close. If they dissapear, turn around, get away as fast as possible for one minute, the turn back into them and see if you can find them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

In Instant Action, the AFM F-15C seems to always roll left by default. Hence, trim is needed unlike before. Is this normal or just cross wind effect? Not sure if it happens in other missions.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

In Instant Action, the AFM F-15C seems to always roll left by default. Hence, trim is needed unlike before. Is this normal or just cross wind effect? Not sure if it happens in other missions.

Have you checked your controls?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Which mission exactly? I quickly tested Instant Action > Intercept > Caucasus and no roll at the start. DCS v2.5@release. F-15C standalone module.

Try and check controls as already suggested: RCtrl + Enter. Add dead zone to your roll axis if that is a problem.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I am interested to know what is happening with this module. On my DCS World splash screen it is still reported as being in beta. Is this the end state for this module or are there plans to move this to full parity with modules like the A-10C or F/A-18.

Many thanks - Nick

You mean the small icons at the bottom of main menu screen? The info is not consistent and is just... BS. The F-15C module is long over beta state. No plans yet to make it full fidelity module though. The closest we get is WIP Razbam's F-15E.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

... The closest we get is WIP Razbam's F-15E.

which is NOT the same as a full-fidelity F-15C

i see the comments - the requests to remove the CFTs

a strike eagle minus the CFTs does not a light gray make

ask any eagle or strike eagle aircrew

DCS *needs* a full-fidelity F-15C

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS *needs* a full-fidelity F-15C

Amen...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

^^^ I would SO take this over an F-15E. I can ground-pound all day in the Hornet, Viper, and A-10. Give me 'not a pound for air to ground!' :-)

Given Razbams position on the fact that there will be no AI 2nd pilot support, I really wish they'd just make a single seater C model, rather than a half assed F15E. That and I'm really not convinced they will do justice to the F15E with its huge systems complexity relative to their other modules.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

F-15C in game flight physics are the most insane exaggerated product of DCS. I was thinking the Fighter Collection group will make after F-18 launch some move in name of the real simulation but I was wrong. They want to keep this UFO without change date limit forever.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]