Lower Leg Amputees and Pedals

CrimsonGhost

Hello all. Long time lurker, fairly new poster here. I have long admired DCS, and in particular the A-10C. I have purchased most of the modules over time during sales, knowing I would one day get involved. With the release of NTTR and 1.5/2.0 with it, I am slowly starting to get more and more into DCS. Onto the topic at hand.

I lost my lower right leg in a work related accident in 2009, and have got around this ever sense by using HOTAS setups with a twist grip for the yaw axis. I currently use an X-55 and it meets most of my needs. However, a coworker recently "long term loaned" me his TM warthog and Saitek combat pedals as he no longer has any interest in flight simulators of any flavor. So now I have the set up I could never afford, and could really use some advice from folks on how to set this up as obviously the pedals present a challenge.

I have a few basic ideas on how to proceed. Try and make it all work, just use the HOTAS and control yaw with the keyboard, or just stay with the X-55 and make it work. I really want to get in depth with the A-10C in particular but need to get the controls sorted out first. And for some reason the X55 leaves a bit to be desired for me with the A-10. I love it for Prepar3D, but it just doesn't fit my hands right for all the functionality that the A-10C requires. Big hands and little switches/hats on the throttle don't mix.

Alright, sorry for the wall of text. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Especially input from anyone in a similar physical situation. Thank you all.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

I use the Rudder Rocker on my old HOTAS X throttle for yaw control.

I don't like Twist rudder either ;)

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

I should know this, because I used to have the Saitek pedals.....I'm not sure it would work.....but......is there a way you could use a strap on the one pedal much like you would find on a bicycle pedal. This way you could control yaw by pushing and pulling with the one pedal. The TM Warthog is great.....you'll never go back. You can always map both brakes to the one pedal. The A10 doesn't need differential braking.

Something that would resemble this........http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/05/06/elegant-sixtyo-pedal-straps-by-stand-bike-me/

Edited by jcbak

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I sometimes have problems with my legs (musco-skeletal disease and osteo-arthritis) and can't use my pedals quite often.

I use the POV hat x axis for the rudder and it has worked very well so far, even in the helicopters.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

you won't be able to pull except if everything is firmly attached.

You can use a set of pedals that are close together and do everything with one foot (example: CH pro pedals or maybe car racing pedals), by pushing two pedals with same foot alternatively.

Or modify one toe brake to have a middle detent and use it as rudder, this is the better option that brings the less strain, but requires a bit of modification. Worth trying IMO.

Nose wheel steer and co-ordianted turns are going to be your biggest problem. The slider on the warthog throttle is a good compromise as it does nothing in game anyway its free to assign.

I appreciate you may not want to mod the pedals if there on loan but the spring can be removed to make it easier to manipulate with one foot if you can velcro or strap it on somehow. Best of luck it is certainly a great plane to learn (A10-C)

:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You could probably get by with using the keyboard. If your hotas has an extra rotary you could use that instead. I only use rudder for taxi, take off/landing with crosswinds. Soon as I'm in the air I generally take my feet off the pedals and don't use them anymore..Untill I'm damaged and have to at least. The a10 has a system that helps with coordinated turns up to +/- 7 Degrees of rudder. I think it's the Stability Augmentation System.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

In all honesty, the rudder is very useless in jets cause its used so little.

However for Warbirds and Helicopters its required, but you dont need the pedals for those either.

Since the pedals have brakes, using the Right brake would be pretty hard for you, So I can only say that the pedals arnt really super required. and that if you just setup your brakes correct and adjust your twist enough. you can do everything with your hands.

(I know this cause I dont have 150+$ to drop on Pedals)

I use the Rudder Rocker on my old HOTAS X throttle for yaw control.

I don't like Twist rudder either ;)

I use this as well with a Warthog stick. I dont like twist rudders, but this works half decent once you get used to it. One day I will get actual pedals, but I can fly the Ka-50 pretty well even with the rocker rudders.

Hi there!

I'd use the strap method (allowing you to push and pull using one foot) but I'd supplement it with a balancing bungee cord so that once you completely rest your foot on the pedal the whole pedal assembly is centered.

The rocker:

A good solution as well, as twist grip is a no go. I'd go with a custom made, bigger rocker attached to the front of your throttle, just like in hotas X.

What level of DIY are you capable of (tools, materials, skills, friends with those)?

Brakes:

Correct me if Imwrong but I think DCS allows to map a single axis as a combined control for aircraft with separate toe brakes.

You can map both brakes to one axis if you wish. The left brake on my rudder pedals quit working so I have them both mapped to the right one.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

You may want to have a look at CH Pro pedals they are interconnected and have a raised bevel to allow you to pull or push with just one leg/foot. Let me know what you come up with I have a friend of mine that is a double amputee at the knee's and he really enjoys DCS and I have been racking my brain as to how to get him set up.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Hi CrimsonGhost,

To compensate for the leg inconvenience the one leg strap modification of the pedals could work if you prefer the TM hotas. (With some minor tweaks) the X55 is my favourit controller for all aircraft, partly because its so versitile. So I think you already where perfectly geared for flightsims.

Just as an alternative to twisting the stick. You can use the potentiometer on top of the X55 throttle as rudder input. It has a positive click in the center and and you can still have hands on the throttle and stick.

:)

If you had the amputation below the knee, you may be able to just use a peg leg of sorts with a square plate at the end. You'll have to be careful with your aim, but pushing on the bottom of the peddle will actuate the rudder, while the top would be the toe brake. If you can't get that control because you don't have the knee or can't maintain your aim on the peddle, you could strap the end to the peddle with enough play to move from pushing on the bottom for rudders and to the top for brakes. Your other leg would be used for bracing the rudders when using the brakes.