Dora music - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Aginor
Veteran

Default Dora music

Hey guys!

First of all: I love the Dora, really cool plane, and challenging as well.
I wasn't sure whether to post this, mainly because I didn't want to say something negative about that beautiful product on release day, because I really really like it. But I decided to do this. Please don't take it as a rant but mainly as constructive criticism:

All other modules have cool and fitting menu music. I like that, and the Dora has a cool one as well, even though I think it is not quite fitting. I had expected something else I guess, but it is fine.

What's bothering be a tiny bit is that we hear sirens (I would have expected that for DCS Stuka or something, but it kind of fits the Dora because of its interceptor nature as well).

But above all that.... Is it really necessary that we have to listen to some Nazi propaganda speech in the background? I think it is parts of Joseph Goebbels' "Totaler Krieg" speech, Including the crowd shouting "Heil" at the end of that part. But I could be wrong, it is almost unintelligible.

I'm not really offended by it, but it isn't exactly pleasant to listen to either. It kinda leaves a bad taste. I don't think any censors in Germany or elsewhere will start any legal actions against ED or something, and I'm not sure if someone will take it really badly, but maybe you should consider to omit that anyway, or at least check whether you think it fits.

just my 2ct.

See you in the skies
Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
ophiuchus

I thought pretty much the same in the beginning, but after some time, I realized that it is, well... historic. As well as Dora itself, so after all it fits somehow. The sirens seem more like city alarm during air raids, so they help build atmosphere
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Aginor
Veteran

Yeah, I think I could agree on the sirens, now that I have listened to that part some more (I was building a mission and changing options, so I had some time to listen to it).

I'm torn on the speech stuff though. It is kinda giving a historical mood, which I guess is the reason why the composer included it, and maybe I am oversensitive because I am German. I don't know.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
NineLine
Community Manager

Everyone will be effect differently, it doesnt bother me at all, it has a very historical feel, but I can appreciate your feelings as well Aginor... thanks for sharing...
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Aufpassen!

Well, it may be historical, but I feel there really is no need for that kind of content. The original speech was viciously engineered to spread hatred and create a lynch mood. And if you speak German, you do get the drift of what the man is saying, even though it has been garbled. Just listening to the daily news should tell you this sort of stuff falls on fertile soil everywhere.

So... my humble opinion: not appropriate and very UNCOOL.

Historical atmosphere can be created through other means, as for example has been done to good effect with the sirens.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
NineLine
Community Manager

I'll ask around, I am sure ED meant no ill will for sure...

Maybe marching troops, or tanks rolling by, some other war like atmospheric bit can be used...
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Aginor
Veteran

yeah, or the sound of eighty-eight FlaKs firing or something.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Narushima

C&C Red Alert had really good music where they mixed marching sounds and commands (in German) with awesome rock music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0

That said, I actually like the Dora soundtrack.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
zaelu
Veteran

First thing I saw when I started on the tarmac was the tail of the plane (it was a german skin) and and I said... Lol.

Now the music has something offending in the background... Maybe playing backwards...

The music is fine for me.

Oh.. Since we are at it. On the Mi-8 module the music has some muslim theme at the begining... Weren't they the enemy in Afgan war? Did someone got offended?

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,
Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least
Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
btd
ED Team

There wasn't any meanings in the speech, but the atmosphere. Even if you could speak german, i think, you can't understand there any phrase Everything was carefully dissected by.
But if everyone agree with the author of the topic - ok. There's nothing left for me to do, but cut it off
Closed Thread