A-7E Corsair II

MBot

The A-7E Corsair II is among my favorite aircraft, so I have been looking for some footage lately. Between 1984 and 1991, the A-7 has been replaced by the F/A-18 in the US Navy's service. During Desert Shield/Desert Storm 1990/91, the two sole remaining A-7 squadrons, VA-46 Clansmen and VA-72, both deployed aboard USS John F. Kennedy for their final combat combat operations.

Some interesting trivia. During Desert Storm the A-7 carried comparatively light loadouts for the type. 2 of the 6 hardpoints were removed on most aircraft (either stations 2/6 or 3/7) in order to decrease drag. Despite operating from the Red Sea, some 500-700 NM from their targets, Corsairs only rarely carried drop tanks. Ironically, many think that during Desert Storm, the A-7 has been the superior attack aircraft compared to its successor the F/A-18, being able to carry more payload further and dropping it with equal precision. A truly amazing strike aircraft for its time.

Here are some excellent photo pages of VA-46 and VA-72:

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VA/Attack-Squadron-46.htm

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VA/Attack-Squadron-72.htm

Some highlights from Desert Storm:

image027.jpg

image029.jpg

A loadout of either 4 Mk-83 or Mk-84.

image035.jpg

8 Mk-82 was another standard load.

image053.jpg

6 or 8 Mk-20 Rockeye were also common.

image055.jpg

3 or 4 AGM-88 HARM. I have read reports of 4 HARMs being loaded, but the few pictures with both sides visible show 3 missiles. 6 missiles would have been possible technically.

image121.jpg

Tactical Air Launched Decoys TALD.

image022.jpg

8 Mk-82 Snakeye. This pictures shows nicely how pylons were removed asymmetrically (center pylon on one side and inboard pylon on the other side).

image032.jpg

Probably Mk-84 and AGM-88 in the background.

image066.jpg

AGM-62 Walleye II.

image088.jpg

Bomb-truck.

And some older pictures:

image204.jpg

AGM-45 Shrike and Mk-20 Rockey during Libya 1986.

image211.jpg

AGM-88 HARM and Mk-20 Rockeye during Libya 1986.

image206.jpg

AN/AAR-45 FLIR for navigation/attack at night.

image217.jpg

Training with Mk-82.

image268.jpg

Naval mines.

image125.jpg

More mines.

image053.jpg

Corsairs dropped LGBs in Vietnam and carried them occasionally later (lasing by A-6 Intruders), but didn't use any during Desert Storm.

image071.jpg

In Vietnam, Corsairs frequently carried bombs on Multiple Ejector Racks MER.

image113.jpg

That is probably an airshow loadout though. According to the A-7D manual, maximum loadout is 24 Mk-82 on 4 MER (with two empty stations) and reduced internal fuel.

This is some rare and interesting footage from VA-72 Blue Hawks' cruise during desert Storm:

[ame]

[/ame]

27:13: A Corsair makes a barrier landing with apparently live ammunition. Immediately after landing, a crewmen rushes to remove the fuse from a bomb.

[ame]

[/ame]

• 2 years later...

Well, guess Im the only one agreeing with you, albeit a very late reply :).

I love the A-7 too, and is right at the top of my want list. A honest no bullshit made for a single job unique looking 60's era carrier jet. Whats not to like.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Oh, and a nice 360 A-7D cockpit, so we can pretend :)

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/SEAW_tour/SEAW-2.html

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

sTs8lAbA1FE

YB13EFKX6fs

That second video is fascinating. These are apparently some very late software modifications from 1986. A lot of the attack mode transitions shown near the end are very reminiscent of the Hornet (AUTO->CCIP transition). A difference I spot is that when an attack is made with CCIPD (=CCIP WPDSG in the Hornet) but no release is made when the solution cue hits the flight path marker, the system automatically switches to normal CCIP. Lateral toss bombing looks pretty funky :)

Interestingly but not unexpectedly for the era, low level operations seems to be pretty much the center of attention.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Very cool images. For some reason the A7 is better looking than the F-8. Maybe the relatively shorter fuselage has proportions that are better pleasing to the eye.

What does this mean? 39 camels destroyed?

image088.jpg

Ironically, many think that during Desert Storm, the A-7 has been the superior attack aircraft compared to its successor the F/A-18, being able to carry more payload further and dropping it with equal precision.

I am going to catch some flak for this, but I think the above says more about the F/A-18 as a modern carrier attack plane than it does about the A-7.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!