Trim | I know I am missing something - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Hallister

Default Trim | I know I am missing something

When taking off with a hot start plane I have terrible trim problems where the plane lerches nose up and I have to lay on the trim down to eventually fix the nose problem. This is after spawning and re-arm/refuel.

Is there a way to check what trim is set so this doesn't happen.

It has happened once or twice also on a cold start but not as often.
Hallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Wags
ED Team

Please check your FCS page, STAB setting.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
BoneDust

There is a take off trim key "v" or you can map to your stick.

Spoiler:
Alienware New Aurora R9 | Windows® 10 Home Premium | 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900K 8C/16T R0 | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC 11GB | 2 X 1TB SSD | 16GB Dual Channel Hyper X FURY at 2666MHz | 850W EPA Gold Liquid Cooled power supply | Oculus Rift S |
BoneDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Absolut_Zero

Wags, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Once we check the FCS page and check the STAB setting what is the procedure? Is there a button or something which needs reset?

I have this issue randomly probably two or three times out of four takeoff attempts. I cannot reliably reproduce the issues and the only thing that solves it seems to be getting a new aircraft, and even then it's a crapshoot.

Is there a procedure to address problems and what is the normal range for STAB?
Absolut_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
sze5003

Did you run through the cold start tutorial? Before take off you need to run the FCS BIT test..it will reset stab to 0. Then set half flaps once you hear the test is done (3 beeps I think). Then press take off trim button on the left hand console. Stabs should ready 12.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
Hallister

Wags first off thanks so much for being the tip of the spear for your team, you are doing a great job over there. Second thanks for that info. I found what you mentioned and found from was set way high. Using the NATOPS I can find my trim settings per weight. Thanks again!!
Hallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Eagle7907

Forgive me if I’m missing something here, but isn’t the procedure to press the trim button on rudder trim knob for takeoff trim? If so, isn’t it supposed to trim it according to what flaps set and weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
USMC_Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle7907 View Post
Forgive me if I’m missing something here, but isn’t the procedure to press the trim button on rudder trim knob for takeoff trim? If so, isn’t it supposed to trim it according to what flaps set and weight?

Takeoff trim sets to 12, regardless of weight, which is fine for a rolling field takeoff. For carrier takeoffs, you must manually set the trim according to the aircraft's weight (referencing the NATOPS and the CHECKLIST page in your aircraft).

Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.

i7 4770K OC'ed to 4.7, GTX 1070 Seahawk (OC'ed), Oculus Rift CV1, 32Gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 10
USMC_Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Eagle7907

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Trev View Post
Takeoff trim sets to 12, regardless of weight, which is fine for a rolling field takeoff. For carrier takeoffs, you must manually set the trim according to the aircraft's weight (referencing the NATOPS and the CHECKLIST page in your aircraft).

That’s my understanding as well. For catapult takeoffs you push TO trim button then manually set trim according to GW. Field takeoffs, you just push the button. All takeoffs are done at half flaps. Okay, thanks for backing me up.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
IvanK
ED Testers Team

No all it does is set Stab to 12 degrees Nose up and neutralise aileron and rudder trim. If on the CV based on other variables you need a different trim setting you then manually set it to the required setting.
IvanK is offline   Reply With Quote