Many many drops to Vr loading screen

Count Sessine

Hi all

I'm playing the M2000 Red Flag mission on a Samsung VR headset and fx in mission 5 when the two fighter groups merge I get so many drops to loading screen that the whole thing becomes totally unplayable. My fps is around 90 so it must be a memory handling issue. It seems it happens whenever the sim has load damage models or new airplanes. Very annoying as this is a new problem that seemed to appear with the new memory manager.

Edited by Count Sessine

Hi all

I'm playing the M2000 Red Flag mission on a Samsung VR headset and fx in mission 5 when the two fighter groups merge I get so many drops to loading screen that the whole thing becomes totally unplayable. My fps is around 90 so it must be a memory handling issue. It seems it happens whenever the sim has load damage models or new airplanes. Very annoying as this is a new problem that seemed to appear with the new memory manager.

Nah not a new problem- https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213404

It also happens in the viggen during bombings. Used to happen in the damage model but is fixed now in that aspect. I noticed it happening too whenever the M2000 explodes, which might suggest like the viggen that its something to do with the AC's bombs.

This is a problem DCS has whenever the game loses too many frames too quickly. Its a problem with the game and I suspect too, its related to memory, as if something needs to be loaded up in game.

As mentioned in the link above it only happens the first time the game loads up so I can live with it. I have told devs about it but its an old problem, happened on my old and this new rig.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Basically those flashes could be caused by a number of things and are more likely to occur in a campaign with a greater amount of variables. Luckily there is the mission editor so if you can work out whats wrong it can be fixed.

1. Cloud density- lower or turn off, clouds will defo cause random drops so I set them to off. Clouds flicker on and off anyway in VR.

2. Bombs. Certain kinds of weapons (I hear sam sites were doing this at one point), never noticed it with M2000 though it used to happen alot with the viggen and Mig 21 when bombs were droped.

3. Damage model, fixed on most of the modules I play but cant say for sure if there are still problems with specific modules. Few weeks ago these drops occured whenever I hit or was hit by an enemy planes fire!

4. Pilots eject (popping the canopy) is defo causing big fps drops and loading flashes, see link above for a work around, reported this one to the devs......

5. Plane crash (again module specific notice it happens with the M2000 and the viggen), might not be the crash itself but the payload exploding

I can play DCS without this ever bothering me, as I fly WW2 and helicopters but its a big reason I avoid the viggen. Havent tried jets recently.

Use the mission editor and beg the devs to look into it!

Great thing about DCS though is that the problem can often be isolated and solved for example by turning off the clouds.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I just flew the same mission on my monitor, without VR, and I got a 100+ FPS at all times and no stutter or drops whatsoever. I really hope this is a fixeable problem because it totally ruins the VR experience.

Are you able to isolate exactly what is causing it? Like I say its annoying for me, but I am able to get past it by running a mission wherein I shoot down 1 of each type of WW2 plane, after each eject the stutters/flashes don't occur again on second playthrough.

And did you turn clouds off?

Also what are your system specs?

------------

• 2 months later...

I'm still seeing this problem. Very long (10+ seconds) drops to the loading screen when stuff starts happening in a mission: planes fire missiles, planes explode, damaged units... My FPS are good: between 45-90 at all times.

It is extra annoying that it seems to have started with the introduction of the memory manager-thing. The first 1-2 years of my DCS VR life everything just worked flawlessly :)

I've tried removing clouds from missions but it does not make any difference.