Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

I've spent over 35 years evaluating and solving technical issues in IT, and one thing I've learned is that if someone insists on doing it their way, you've just got to let them. The worst that will happen, is that they learn something. Best of luck with your issue.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I've spent over 35 years evaluating and solving technical issues in IT

Solving technical issues in IT that one should not investigate to exist because one has a ready solution for whatever the technical issue might or might not be,

is the best sales pitch since Spam in a can.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Solving technical issues in IT that one should not investigate to exist because one has a ready solution for whatever the technical issue might or might not be,

is the best sales pitch since Spam in a can.

OK, that series of posts is enough to realize that you will never be a helpful member of the forum ... so, one more for the ignore list :noexpression:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

OK, that series of posts is enough to realize that you will never be a helpful member of the forum ...

Those who erroneously qualify the risk "Since these locations are within the Program's folder, they will eventually be overwritten by DCS Updates .. "

and omit to qualify '.. it is on the other hand an unknown if added user files in the installation folder will be deleted'

are busying themselves with the best sales pitch since sun protection lotion that will tan you like a hamburger patty with infinite shelf life.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Those who erroneously qualify the risk "Since these locations are within the Program's folder, they will eventually be overwritten by DCS Updates .. "

and omit to qualify '.. it is on the other hand an unknown if added user files in the installation folder will be deleted'

are busying themselves with the best sales pitch since sun protection lotion that will tan you like a hamburger patty with infinite shelf life.

The point is, you cannot know. What works this week, might not work next week. ED is not going to take your mods into account. They are your problem.

It's like trying to assess whether it's a good idea to have fire insurance for your house by watching it for 20 years. In those 20 years, with a little luck and due diligence, you may never have a fire. Going on that information, there would be no point of getting insurance. And the very next year you still might have a fire

Take the insurance, do your due diligence and move on with your life.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

.. do your due diligence and move on with your life.

Omitting doing due diligence on whether DCS will clean out directories where users copy in extra kneeboard pages, where this deletion, rationally seems quite unlikely, because DCS can not have any utility in that, as in no rational thought whatsoever,

is the best sales pitch since the creation of the 500USD toilet seat for the Pentagon.

Hi guys, looking for some guidance. I have created a custom kneeboard for the C-101. It works fine but I cannot for the life of me get it to save kneeboard shortcuts form one flight to the next. They save and work fine when within a flight but as soon as I starrt a new mission they are gone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Yeah, they don't lol

What can I say, you just have to set them up again at the start of a mission. That's what I've been doing.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Hi guys, looking for some guidance. I have created a custom kneeboard for the C-101. It works fine but I cannot for the life of me get it to save kneeboard shortcuts form one flight to the next. They save and work fine when within a flight but as soon as I starrt a new mission they are gone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jason

Did you save it under \Saved Games\DCS World [bETA?]\Kneeboard\C101\

(Working from memory but I think you'll get the idea)

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I guess I’ll saved it under wherever Kneeboard builder custom kneeboard default saves to. Is there a way to see where that defaults to or switch it to save under saved games if it defaults to the main game directory?

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

The correct location is \Users\<USERNAME>\Saved Games\DCS<VERSION>\Kneeboard\C-101EB

To remove (almost) all the crap* that's there by default, I delete

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Kneeboard\*.*

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Kneeboard\*.*

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Normandy\Kneeboard\*.*

\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\KNEEBOARD\device\init.lua

(other terrains are available)

(after backing up). Also, it's all replaced following every update.

Incredibly, it simply isn't possible to permanently save kneeboard bookmarks. The best I can suggest is that you request it in the Wish List forum.

*sorry - imho.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I guess I’ll saved it under wherever Kneeboard builder custom kneeboard default saves to. Is there a way to see where that defaults to or switch it to save under saved games if it defaults to the main game directory?

Its some time since I used it, I usually just build by hand now, but the Options in the Kneeboard builder had entries for the game location and the kneeboard location which, I believe, defaults to

C:\Users\[your name]\Saved Games

I believe it then auto-installs to the appropriate \DCS[Openbeta]\Kneeboard\[aircraft] folder but you should read the latest manual to be found under Help in the app.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Hi, I don't know if this has already been reported but the F16 default folder for the Kneebuider is

Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\cockpit\Scripts\Displays\Common\indicator\DED\Pages

There is a way to change this?

Hi, I don't know if this has already been reported but the F16 default folder for the Kneebuider is

Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\cockpit\Scripts\Displays\Common\indicator\DED\Pages

There is a way to change this?

personal additions you place in \saved games\dcs ..\kneeboard\<type>\

Hi Majapahit,

Personal folder works ok, but default F16 folder isn't indicated correctely.

I use default folder for different kneeboards than personal.

Thanks anyway ;)

Enviado desde mi Redmi S2 mediante Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, is Kneeeboard builder already maintain?

i found 2 bugs...

- one is about Spitfire PIT is KB is run the spitfire doesn't have the COCKPIT you need to rebuild it

- From last DCS update with Dynamic kneeboard some (not all) MIX in MP it take more than 5 minutes to go inside the PIT (FLY from Briefing)

In this case you have to disable dynamic kneeboard and rebuild DCS...

Regards

Kneeboard error

Hi i have tried multiple times to install Kneeboard Builder but with no luck.I Also tried older kneeboard version with no luck.I unzip to desktop then click on installer and it comes up with preference page where i use drop down menu to select open beta version and it points to my DCS install and it points to my saved games folder i don't check anything else.I then press save and it goes to restart and then i hear error and it comes up with error and then i close that and it shuts down.If i try to open kneeboard builder it just does the error thing again.Any help would be greatly Appreciated.Thank you.

Up to date DCS open beta

Up to date drivers

My specs are Windows 10

Intel 9700k overclocked to 5 gig per core

32 Gig DDr4 Ram

Water cooled ,doesn't get hot

Nvidia RTX 2080

Dcs installed on M.2 Drive

CH Fighterstick,CH Pro Throttle,CH Pro Pedals

Track Ir V5

Kneeboard error.txt

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

...Any help would be greatly Appreciated.Thank you.

Right click on the KB icon, select properties, compatibility tab, tick on "run as administrator"

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks rudel.:thumbup:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

Hi i have tried multiple times to install Kneeboard Builder but with no luck.I Also tried older kneeboard version with no luck.I unzip to desktop then click on installer and it comes up with preference page where i use drop down menu to select open beta version and it points to my DCS install and it points to my saved games folder i don't check anything else.I then press save and it goes to restart and then i hear error and it comes up with error and then i close that and it shuts down.If i try to open kneeboard builder it just does the error thing again.Any help would be greatly Appreciated.Thank you.

Up to date DCS open beta

Up to date drivers

My specs are Windows 10

Intel 9700k overclocked to 5 gig per core

32 Gig DDr4 Ram

Water cooled ,doesn't get hot

Nvidia RTX 2080

Dcs installed on M.2 Drive

CH Fighterstick,CH Pro Throttle,CH Pro Pedals

Track Ir V5

Was going to say the same...nice setup you have there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

Thank you Captain Hawk , I'm up for new HOTAS set up though as my 15 year old CH gear is finally starting to give up the ghost.Got very good value out of it so I'm not complaining.Think i'll go Thrustmaster warthog or Virpil set up this time with some crosswind rudder pedals.

My Kneeboardbuilder app crashes when trying to apply a profile. It had been working up until a few days ago when I tried to create a new profile and apply it. The error in the second section says something about can't find a directory. I checked my preferences and the saved games and DCS directory are set correctly. Not sure what changed to cause this.

The event viewer shows

Faulting application name: KneeboardBuilder.exe, version: 1.8.0.3, time stamp: 0x5d281128

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.535, time stamp: 0x50cc8d5a

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839

Faulting process id: 0x1f80

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d6b2bddb6e06

Faulting application path: D:\KneeboardBuilder\KneeboardBuilder.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 88282700-68dd-46e4-a78c-7cc0fe15b320

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: KneeboardBuilder.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].CommonInit()

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.IO.SearchOption, System.IO.SearchResultHandler`1<System.__Canon>, Boolean)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFiles(System.String, System.IO.SearchOption)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.FindLuaFile(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.String)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.GetDeviceInitPath(System.String, System.String, System.String)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.SetupKneeboard(System.String, System.String, System.String, KneeboardBuilder.Models.ProfileModel)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.SetupKneeboard(System.String, System.String, System.String, KneeboardBuilder.Models.ProfileModel)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.NotifyIconViewModel.SetProfile(KneeboardBuilder.Models.ProfileModel)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.NotifyIconViewModel.<LoadCommands>b__57_0(System.Object)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.Common.DelegateCommandParameter.Execute(System.Object)

at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(System.Windows.Input.ICommandSource, Boolean)

at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at KneeboardBuilder.App.Main()

Edited by Todd1215
updated

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

When I had a Kneeboardbuilder crash,

kind of hidden, the kneeboard (VR) showed in the wrong place, half a kneeboard to the right, half not visible

it broke my

"x:..\DCS <>\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\device_init.lua"

and DCS refused to load F/A-18C

I don't resize/move my kneeboard now, works OK (I have it for the mission variables/parameters/freq.)

Edited by majapahit