Degrading engine performance

Mohamengina

Just did a mission where I was full throttle at about 30-35 thousand feet the whole time.

After about 20 minutes I had a significant decrease in engine power and had the oil and eng exc light come up.

Does the engine crap itself if you use high RPM for too long?

Yes.

It would be nice if we could get some "bad engine sounds" or maybe some sort of haptic feedback, I assume it might make those.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It would be nice if we could get some "bad engine sounds" or maybe some sort of haptic feedback, I assume it might make those.

I would assume, that there are no bad engine sounds or much of a sort of haptic in the real aircraft. You push the engine too much and raise that exhause temp for too long, you will just kill the engine, that`s it. :D

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

Based on what whats been written about harrier engine failures, there were usually clues, excessive vibration, a bang, stuff like that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hearing anything in the cockpit above the 'whine' of the engine is near impossible. The effect the massive LP Fan has in creating a frequency that is close to the most annoying sound in the world can't be understood unless you are near it at high RPMs. Most pilots 'feel' a thumping in their back or bucking of the plane more than anything. Those are generally the typical feedback we would get, and usually indicated some sort of compressor stall or sometimes a stuck open/closed Blowoff Valve (BOV).

• 4 months later...
... or sometimes a stuck open/closed Blowoff Valve (BOV).

Ugh, I hated rebuilding the BOV's. Never could find the tester so we would just pucker up and give her a good hard suck or blow. If the valve opened and closed with mere lung power, she was good to go. If you did your job, it would be clean and you wouldn't get a chunk of old gasket when you sucked on her.

Hearing anything in the cockpit above the 'whine' of the engine is near impossible. The effect the massive LP Fan has in creating a frequency that is close to the most annoying sound in the world can't be understood unless you are near it at high RPMs. Most pilots 'feel' a thumping in their back or bucking of the plane more than anything. Those are generally the typical feedback we would get, and usually indicated some sort of compressor stall or sometimes a stuck open/closed Blowoff Valve (BOV).

Bob marstons books say youre wrong.