AV8B STOL / CTO

GoosemanF7

What is the official procedure for Short Takeoff/Landing and Conventional Takeoff/Landing.

And is there a difference between carrier-takeoff and short-takeoff?

Takeoff:

- flap position

- H20 setting

- Nozzle position rolling

- when to rotate (knots)

- how much to pitch up (degrees)

- Nozzle position rotating

- when Nozzle position back to 0

Landing:

- max speed

- flap position

- Nozzle Position

- PNB (Nozzles full rotation, 70% RPM?)

VTOL is covered in a lot of Youtube Videos so i wont be talking about it here.

Thanks! :pilotfly:

Did you already look at the pocket guide info regarding this? Might want to fill in the blanks from there before fleshing it out further.

As for carrier and short takeoff, for one the nozzle rotation on a carrier is just before you reach the lip of the "runway", whereas for STOL it's probably after reaching a desired speed state.

Edited by Sephyrius

Yes, ive read the pocket guide, but its not very accurate.

e.g. for STO they just write 25degree nozzle, but not at which

point and which speed etc.

Just would like to know the real life numbers

The Pocket Guide basically has the same numbers as the NATOPS Manual for the AV-8B, which should be accurate... ;)

The point for a STO from a carrier, is the yellow bar at the foremost end of the flight deck. What we still need is to calculate the STO max weights and performance according to the charts and check what we can load to perform a carrier STO.

Edit: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.de/2016/05/av-8btav-8b-flight-manual.html?m=1

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I've seen a bunch of disagreeing numbers/omitted info across manuals/accounts from a real Harrier pilot. This is basically what I've figured out using a combination of NATOPS, USMC training syllabus, and an account from a Harrier pilot that you can find on YouTube, plus just my own way of doing things that works best for me. So not really a true procedure, but:

STO:

-Trim set 2° Nose Down

-Flaps set to STOL

-H20 as required

-Nozzle position 10°

-STO 50° or 55° depending on weight

-NRS depends on weight

-Pitch: Manuals say to put the Witch's Hat on the carets (14° in the HUD) but that feels so insanely steep when I try it.

-Nozzling out to 0°: Smoothly nozzle out to 25°. Retract gear, set Flaps AUTO, turn off H20, continue nozzling out to 0°. When you nozzle out, the FPM will drop. You want to do it smoothly enough that the FPM doesn't fall down to the Witch's Hat.

For NRS, here's a very, very rough estimation that I use, using % gross weight in DCS:

70% - STO 55° NRS 60kts

81% - STO 55° NRS 80kts

85% - STO 50° NRS 90kts

88% - STO 50° NRS 95kts

90% - STO 50° NRS 100kts

95% - STO 50° NRS 110kts

The only difference (that I could find) between short takeoff and carrier takeoff is that on carriers, instead of rotating nozzles at a certain speed, you rotate the nozzles once you reach the end of the deck.

For short landings:

-Nozzles 25°

-Gear down below 250kts

-Flaps STOL

-Nozzles to 60° (I usually do this while turning to base; your FPM will suddenly rise as you do so and the flaps program down)

-I try to maintain 8-10 units AoA all the way from base through to final and touchdown.

-After touchdown PNB at 70% RPM.