The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

Today I tried to run the DCS Updater Utility and it won't open. I think Microsoft hosed something. I re-installed the same latest version I already was running but no change.:( And I had just updated the Nvidia driver and 3 Microsoft updates.

edit: Maybe this has something to do with it??

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/08/17/microsoft-confirms-update-warning-for-windows-10-windows-81-and-windows-7-users/

Edited by davebert

More info on utility not running

A couple of added notes. When the DCS Updater GUI Utility doesn't work, if I hover over the icon on the task bar it looks like this: (see attachment). And if I run in SAFE MODE the program does not work either. Another note is that when I try to run as admin, the box asking to verify is yellow as opposed to blue with working programs when asked to run as admin. That may be because it is an "Publisher:Unknown" and you didn't pay the big bucks to MS to remove that. :P

Anyway, I hope that helps you fix it.

DB

584968250_crashtaskbarview.png.f663f8a513bb7d81c0d0c070ad6bb0cd.png

Edited by davebert

A couple of added notes. When the DCS Updater GUI Utility doesn't work, if I hover over the icon on the task bar it looks like this: (see attachment). And if I run in SAFE MODE the program does not work either. Another note is that when I try to run as admin, the box asking to verify is yellow as opposed to blue with working programs when asked to run as admin. That may be because it is an "Publisher:Unknown" and you didn't pay the big bucks to MS to remove that. :P

DB

There should be a system tray Icon For the App, right click it and choose restore window.

The App loses X,Y Coordinates for some reason and saves them corrupted, so when app is launched again the position is set so fat off the screen and needs reset back to 0,0.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There should be a system tray Icon For the App, right click it and choose restore window.

The App loses X,Y Coordinates for some reason and saves them corrupted, so when app is launched again the position is set so far off the screen and needs reset back to 0,0.

Perfect. That fixed it. Thanks for the quick response. :) I wonder if it has to do with a 2 monitor setup although this is the first time it did that. I was having a possibly related issue with my multi-monitor manager where DCS would hang permanently at the splash screen if FULL SCREEN had a checkmark in the box.

DB

Edited by davebert

Perfect. That fixed it. Thanks for the quick response. :) I wonder if it has to do with a 2 monitor setup although this is the first time it did that. I was having a possibly related issue with my multi-monitor manager where DCS would hang permanently at the splash screen if FULL SCREEN had a checkmark in the box.

DB

it happens when Monitors are added/removed while app is running or display mode changes of the main monitor (or removing monitor and adding back, or GPU going to sleep while app is running).

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

it happens when Monitors are added/removed while app is running or display mode changes of the main monitor (or removing monitor and adding back, or GPU going to sleep while app is running).

Good to know. I don't think I did anything different as usual but I will pay attention in the future to see what I did/do to cause that. It seemed like it happened after Windows 10 updates and/or Nvidia driver update. I always turn on both monitors but in the past I was using Display Fusion but since the Windows update to v1903 it caused another issue with DCS that was solved by exiting that program. So without that running, I may have not had that advantage as before. But now I have to see who/what needs to update and make Display Fusion work again.

Thanks,

DB

Mine worked flawless until today. Won´t start. I did have a WIN 10 update but was some days ago and updated with hotfix too, so, GUI was working after the WIN 10 update.

:(

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Mine worked flawless until today. Won´t start. I did have a WIN 10 update but was some days ago and updated with hotfix too, so, GUI was working after the WIN 10 update.

Does it try to start and then quit? If so, you will have an icon on the taskbar like I showed a few post back. If that is the case, show the hidden icons in the far right of the taskbar and find the DCS Updater GUI and right click on it and click the restore window option like in the info above.

Does it try to start and then quit? If so, you will have an icon on the taskbar like I showed a few post back. If that is the case, show the hidden icons in the far right of the taskbar and find the DCS Updater GUI and right click on it and click the restore window option like in the info above.

The GUI icon in the icon tray closes before i can click on it.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

The GUI icon in the icon tray closes before i can click on it.

Must be a different problem then. I was referring to the icon in the far right (a little triangle) that when hovered over says "show hidden icons". But if it is not there then I have no clue why yours would quit like that. Are you running the latest version of Win10 (v1903) and have all the important updates?

Must be a different problem then. I was referring to the icon in the far right (a little triangle) that when hovered over says "show hidden icons". But if it is not there then I have no clue why yours would quit like that. Are you running the latest version of Win10 (v1903) and have all the important updates?

Thank you for your help.

Well, i have all the latest win10 updates and i think it was the problem, i don´t know. I use GUI since ever and it´s first time doing this. Opens, show the welcome screen but it quit before open GUI main menu. It shows in system tray for a few seconds and when i try to click on it the icon disappear like when we quit an application.

Thank you for your help.

Well, i have all the latest win10 updates and i think it was the problem, i don´t know. I use GUI since ever and it´s first time doing this. Opens, show the welcome screen but it quit before open GUI main menu. It shows in system tray for a few seconds and when i try to click on it the icon disappear like when we quit an application.

I was thinking the Windows updates were the cause of the problem too but I got mine working and am fully up to date. I did delete and re-install the DCS Update GUI though so you may want to try that. I will take a screenshot later as I have to run in a minute that shows the menu from the hidden icons. But for now just delete the app and try a re-install. You won't lose any settings.

DB

I was thinking the Windows updates were the cause of the problem too but I got mine working and am fully up to date. I did delete and re-install the DCS Update GUI though so you may want to try that. I will take a screenshot later as I have to run in a minute that shows the menu from the hidden icons. But for now just delete the app and try a re-install. You won't lose any settings.

DB

I did that already, was the first thing i did (delete and download GUI again), it didn´t work, but, i got GUI working by installing a older version...

I did that already, was the first thing i did (delete and download GUI again), it didn´t work, but, i got GUI working by installing a older version...

The App Uses a XML Save File to save and load settings, if this is corrupted then it may need to be deleted, usually if it's corrupted the app will load defaults.

Try Deleting the folder:

/<Username>/Appdata/Local/Skate_Zilla_Graphics_Stud/

If that doesnt work, check Windows Event Viewer for reason code on why Windows is terminating the App.

The App Uses a XML Save File to save and load settings, if this is corrupted then it may need to be deleted, usually if it's corrupted the app will load defaults.

Try Deleting the folder:

If that doesnt work, check Windows Event Viewer for reason code on why Windows is terminating the App.

That fixed my problem!

Thank you for your quick support!

F.

Hey, thanks for the app, I use it as my main way of firing up DCS on my main computer.

I've been having an issue where the app disables the launch buttons when the game starts, but doesn't manage to re-enable them when the game has closed. I'd much prefer it to not disable the buttons at all, because right now I have to close the launcher and restart it to be able to launch DCS again.

Acidic

Hoggit Admin / Server Owner / Mission Maker

Discord: https://discord.gg/hoggit

GAW Website: https://atwar.online

Wiki: https://hoggitworld.com

Perhaps this got lost in the shuffle, but any idea of my crash when launching DCS?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4024965&postcount=934

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I am having a crash when attempting to launch DCS as well.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: File already exists.
  at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.Rename(String OldPath, String NewPath)
  at DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.PRESET()
  at DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.LAUNCHDCSMAIN()
  at DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.Button_LAUNCH_NEW_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
   Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 4.8.3815.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DCS Updater Utility
   Assembly Version: 1.1.0.1025
   Win32 Version: 8.05.2019
   CodeBase: file:///D:/Users/Jared%20Childress/Saved%20Games/DCS%20Updater%20Utility/DCS%20Updater%20Utility.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
   Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 14.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
   Win32 Version: 4.8.3801.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
   Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Accessibility
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
   <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

The App renames the default options.lua and preset options.lua when launching, it's trying to rename the lua, but the file already exists, which options.lua files do you have in the folder when NOT running DCS?

Here's a screenshot of the folder.

834002383_Annotation2019-09-16054242.thumb.png.2e7d69a20fbfe643f2dc1a804bc96e25.png

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

DB

+1...Same problem

How do you uninstall DCS Updater Utility? Thank you

Delete the DCS Updater GUI Utility EXE

Deleting the folder:

Deleting the folder:

/<Username>/Saved Games/DCS Updater Utility

Same problem here :

Consultez la fin de ce message pour plus de détails sur l'appel du débogage

juste-à-temps (JIT) à la place de cette boîte de dialogue.

************** Texte de l'exception **************

System.IO.IOException: Le fichier existe déjà.

à Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.Rename(String OldPath, String NewPath)

à DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.PRESET()

à DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.LAUNCHDCSMAIN()

à DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.Button_LAUNCH_NEW_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

à System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

à System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

à System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

à System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

à System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

à System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

à System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

à System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Assemblys chargés **************

mscorlib

Version de l'assembly : 4.0.0.0

Version Win32 : 4.8.4010.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B

CodeBase : file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

DCS Updater Utility

Version de l'assembly : 1.1.0.1025

Version Win32 : 8.05.2019

CodeBase : file:///E:/Users/Massimo/Saved%20Games/DCS/DCS%20Updater%20Utility.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Version de l'assembly : 10.0.0.0

Version Win32 : 14.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

Version Win32 : 4.8.4001.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Version Win32 : 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

Accessibility

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

mscorlib.resources

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_fr_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources

Version de l'assembly : 10.0.0.0

Version Win32 : 14.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources/v4.0_10.0.0.0_fr_b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources.dll

System.Windows.Forms.resources

CodeBase : file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_fr_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

************** Débogage JIT **************

Pour activer le débogage juste-à-temps (JIT), le fichier de configuration pour cette

application ou cet ordinateur (machine.config) doit avoir la valeur

jitDebugging définie dans la section system.windows.forms.

L'application doit également être compilée avec le débogage

activé.

Par exemple :

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

Lorsque le débogage juste-à-temps est activé, les exceptions non gérées

seront envoyées au débogueur JIT inscrit sur l'ordinateur

plutôt que d'être gérées par cette boîte de dialogue.