What is the state of the FM as of today? - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 02:18 AM   #81
CoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dalan View Post
Yes, that is exactly it! Could the rattle be amp-ed just slightly at lower AoA?
And go against SMEs advice....?
The airframe shaking & aural feedback is much better now IMHO.
Before it was to early & felt misleading. The plane started to shake like crazy at 15 AoA during Case I/III. Now it starts just before the edge of high & excessive AoA.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:11 AM   #82
jv44bubi

Quote:
The high g situations are no issue. Plenty of feedback there, both in shape of g-lock and aircraft screeching. It is the lack of such feedback during zero air speed and alpha induced stalls that bothers me. How would you solve the issue (in a limited budget case)?

Yes, that is exactly it! Could the rattle be amp-ed just slightly at lower AoA?

That's transitional alpha, you need to be in a post stall regime to experience that (your wings stalled, but your body still producing some lift).

My recommendation sir...buy a jetseat and you will feel more of what it is you are looking for.
jv44bubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #83
draconus

Quote:
It is the lack of such feedback during zero air speed and alpha induced stalls that bothers me. How would you solve the issue (in a limited budget case)?
Afaik there's plenty of visual and instrument cues in this regimes if it's not already rattling all over the place.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #84
stuart666

Im not sure what the problem is, im pulling AOA based on the gauge and the G meter. I can imagine this is a problem for those not using VR, but its certainly not if you have one on. The G gauge and the AOA gauge are 2 of the most easily readable even in VR.

Its got easier to manoeuvre IMHO. Or maybe I just got better. last night I did a beauful loop, found a hapless Su27 stuggling with maintaining speed in a climb, and I sawed his wing off with the 20mm. Thats with the cues as they are. Im not mocking those who use the cues, other than to say, I cant see you really need them unless you are really are doing something the Tomcat doesnt like, and most times you really shouldnt be at that end of the envelope.

Just my view FWIW. Though I agree, a feedback seat WOULD probably prove useful. has anyone got any examples you can recommend on Amazon?
stuart666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #85
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart666 View Post
Im not sure what the problem is, im pulling AOA based on the gauge and the G meter. I can imagine this is a problem for those not using VR, but its certainly not if you have one on. The G gauge and the AOA gauge are 2 of the most easily readable even in VR.
If you ever dogfight you would know that most of the time you look in different direction than your front panel. And when you do look up front you don't need to look at AoA or G gauges anymore. btw: I always struggle to find the G meter, that's how often I use it

Try something harder than AI Su-27 and try to stay around the corner speed looking at the enemy all the time.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #86
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
If you ever dogfight you would know that most of the time you look in different direction than your front panel. And when you do look up front you don't need to look at AoA or G gauges anymore. btw: I always struggle to find the G meter, that's how often I use it

Try something harder than AI Su-27 and try to stay around the corner speed looking at the enemy all the time.
Yeah the G meter is not situated very well, which is another one of the reasons why I'd love the Sparrowhawk HUD

That said the AoA strip & Mach meter is your best friend when dogfighting in the F-14, pull 17 units AoA to lose speed, 15-16 units to maintain it, and don't drop below 0.5 Mach, then you're good.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #87
stuart666

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post

I spend a lot of time on the dogfight server on multiplayer. This wasnt an AI Su27, this was a real player, who proceeded to beat me in a couple of other engagements. The glory of that turn and burn still remains however.

I would be the first to admit its not ideally situated, but both are big gauges you know. The G gauge in particular you dont even really need to read the number to see where the gauge is pointing. The speed gauge is even harder to miss.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #88
stuart666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Yeah the G meter is not situated very well, which is another one of the reasons why I'd love the Sparrowhawk HUD

That said the AoA strip & Mach meter is your best friend when dogfighting in the F-14, pull 17 units AoA to lose speed, 15-16 units to maintain it, and don't drop below 0.5 Mach, then you're good.

Yeah, thats pretty much my stance on it. In fact, if you dont alter the axis of the joystick, you can figure out what kind of aoa you are going to have from stick deflection at a certain speed. I practiced going around in a 15AOA turn at about 350 knots, just so I could know what kind of stick deflection it was. Probably more difficult in a modified stick where the base is on the floor I imagine, but real pilots develop muscle memory too.

I always thought the vibration was too severe. I couldn't imagine why it would be shaking THAT much if the airframe was working as advertised. I would imagine its only substantial drag and disturbed airflow that would cause it.