How complete is the Hornet module - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #121
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuardian View Post
I still get so confused by the lack of understanding of EARLY ACCESS. I have only been into DCS for about a year, and I completely understand/understood that when I purchased the F-18 I was basically buying into the beta program with it. Same with the AV-8B I am fixing to buy. It says all of this when you buy the module.
Same boat here. Though really most other developers have a bit different idea of what EA is and timelines on other games. So someone coming from that background actually thinks 1 year is a damn long time for EA. Much less 3+ years that some products here have taken. Its apples to oranges, but I think if they include a note in the description of how long they expect EA to take it might help with the problem, but alot of new folks are gonna balk at 3 years till they get their functional plane. On the plus side I'm reasonably confident I'm gonna get an F18 at the end of the day/year whatever.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #122
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalahama View Post
79$ for an unfinished module and a lot of promises is already pricey and way out of the sweet point. Sell it at 40$ and they will get 10x more orders, do the math, it works out...
Let me ask you something? What other titles or genres do you usually play?

How many hours of entertainment are you able to get out of those? At which price are they sold?

I really think you need to factor in those aspects before calling something pricey. Specially when after 3/4 or more years of use you will still request bug fixing and support from the developer like you see from lots of people around here (e.g. A10C, KA50...).

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #123
TheGuardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Same boat here. Though really most other developers have a bit different idea of what EA is and timelines on other games. So someone coming from that background actually thinks 1 year is a damn long time for EA. Much less 3+ years that some products here have taken. Its apples to oranges, but I think if they include a note in the description of how long they expect EA to take it might help with the problem, but alot of new folks are gonna balk at 3 years till they get their functional plane. On the plus side I'm reasonably confident I'm gonna get an F18 at the end of the day/year whatever.
No, totally get that. I come for a more console based gaming structure, with a different idea of EA/Beta. I just few it that way personally so it makes sense for me.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #124
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_120 View Post
Let me ask you something? What other titles or genres do you usually play?

How many hours of entertainment are you able to get out of those? At which price are they sold?

I really think you need to factor in those aspects before calling something pricey. Specially when after 3/4 or more years of use you will still request bug fixing and support from the developer like you see from lots of people around here (e.g. A10C, KA50...).

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
Yeah but price per hour played doesn't really factor in for new people. All they see is a triple digit price tag, and learning curve that looks like the Burj Khalipha and they balk, and say nah. I'll be honest, I think the money I paid for the hornet has paid off in spades I'm not sure how many hours, but its probably over 300 so pennies per hour. But I also have some modules where the cost per flight hour is literally 50bucks because I haven't spent more than a single hour in them. If I average it out and take a look how much I've spent on just the sofware end of DCS and total hours its probably still in the pennies per hour, if I add in the hardware it goes up in to the dollars or tens of dollars per hour range for sure but its not really how many people really look at it anyway, maybe accountants. A new player sees a price tag thats equal or more than a AAA rated game that needs a mouse/kbd that they already have to play it. Then for DCS they will also have to buy a few hundred dollars of new hardware to really enjoy (and I'm only talking about a basic hotas, and basic trackir, not a simpit and VR). Thats a pretty hard sell for many "new" players. And honestly thats what DCS needs to keep going, I keep reading on the VR side of the forum about how bad person XYZ's eyes are or what sort of old man disease they have and think geeze this is a hobby thats aging out, and thats not a good thing.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 09-16-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #125
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuardian View Post
No, totally get that. I come for a more console based gaming structure, with a different idea of EA/Beta. I just few it that way personally so it makes sense for me.
Thats just my point on different players and expectations. I've been doing sims for decades and I can wait (as long as there is progress damnit). But I can relate to younger players thinking geeze, will I graduate HS/college before this module is done? Honestly my point on EA is that for some folks the idea of 3-4EA process isn't something that even occurs to them. 3-4-6 months, ok, but 4 years? Add in to that fact that while ED generally does a good job with updates, many of the 3rd party dev's really don't. That was a huge part of the issue with the harrier when I bought it. Literally no progress for like 6 months while the worked on the Mig19, and that pissed alot of people off.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #126
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Hi all,

Please remember this is early access, and it is a long process.

New features are being worked on and will continue to be worked on until they are complete.

We will bring you more news as and when those features are near completion

Thanks
Forum rules - Crash advice - Cleanup and repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703
Closed Thread