JDAM progress

Harlikwin

It's the Automatic Target Handoff System (ATHS), an electronic 9-line that's swapped between lead and FAC (with copies to wingmen if wanted).

It's editable by both until an agreed "contract" is made, at which point the FAC authorises it and lead or one of the flight (lead may not be the aircraft dropping ordnance) can copy the "authorised" 9-line message to a target point.

Up to 18 CAS messages can be copied/saved and used as a template for the next CAS "contract" with the same or another FAC.

Love it. Can't wait to get my hands on that. The JDAMS are just a cherry on top.

However, I don't see anything about being able to drop JDAMS in TOO with the TGP. There was an article I posted to this forum indicating the Harrier was unique in being able to hand off accurate target coordinates to JDAMS from the TGP. And the Marines conducted several strikes using this method.

ATHS/CAS Wishlist

Maybe later, CAS page will allow us to get datas from in-game JTAC ? :thumbup:

Possibly, ATHS is not a data link like SADL, Link 16, etc. rather it uses encrypted tactical radios and VMF (variable message format) text messages (90's tech).

Detail

• The first consideration in DCS is whether it's possible to identify the correct JTAC and automatically extract the 9-line info from the JTAC's radio communication at the right time i.e. just prior to "9-line read back". If it's not, then the electronic 9-line will need to be filled in by the player.

• For AV-8B radio management, I'd use the fact the player was tuned to and speaking with the JTAC as being sufficient.

• For player to player messaging, they'd need be on the same frequency for send/receive to work. It would allow lead/wingman interaction and a AV-8B to act as FAC(air) for other AV-8B's. However DCS might not have the functionality as I believe the A-10C's messaging is based on SADL's NETS and groups.

• Because of the previous potential issue, I'd make the AV-8B's NETS settings, etc. fictionally compatible with SADL's NETS and Groups.

• Ground units, IRL would likely have an embedded marine FAC either on site or at a Fire Support Coordination Center, so I don't see data link compatibility being an issue.

Conclusion

For ease of implementation and game play, I'd probably implement the Harrier's ATHS/CAS messages as SADL compatible and use NETS and Groups for MP message management (like the A-10C). It's not perfect but has a chance of working without running into a blocking issue in DCS's core functions.

ATHS Version 2, Marines get smart phones to call in fire support.

140515-F-XD666-279.JPG

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Possibly, ATHS is not a data link like SADL, Link 16, etc. rather it uses encrypted tactical radios and VMF (variable message format) text messages (90's tech).

Detail

• The first consideration in DCS is whether it's possible to identify the correct JTAC and automatically extract the 9-line info from the JTAC's radio communication at the right time i.e. just prior to "9-line read back". If it's not, then the electronic 9-line will need to be filled in by the player.

• For AV-8B radio management, I'd use the fact the player was tuned to and speaking with the JTAC as being sufficient.

• For player to player messaging, they'd need be on the same frequency for send/receive to work. It would allow lead/wingman interaction and a AV-8B to act as FAC(air) for other AV-8B's. However DCS might not have the functionality as I believe the A-10C's messaging is based on SADL's NETS and groups.

• Because of the previous potential issue, I'd make the AV-8B's NETS settings, etc. fictionally compatible with SADL's NETS and Groups.

• Ground units, IRL would likely have an embedded marine FAC either on site or at a Fire Support Coordination Center, so I don't see data link compatibility being an issue.

Conclusion

For ease of implementation and game play, I'd probably implement the Harrier's ATHS/CAS messages as SADL compatible and use NETS and Groups for MP message management (like the A-10C). It's not perfect but has a chance of working without running into a blocking issue in DCS's core functions.

ATHS Version 2, Marines get smart phones to call in fire support.

140515-F-XD666-279.JPG

Thats the harris trifecta right there. 152/asip/117 juding by the antenna bag near it (maybe a 138 or 150 though)

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Love it. Can't wait to get my hands on that. The JDAMS are just a cherry on top.

However, I don't see anything about being able to drop JDAMS in TOO with the TGP. There was an article I posted to this forum indicating the Harrier was unique in being able to hand off accurate target coordinates to JDAMS from the TGP. And the Marines conducted several strikes using this method.

I'd be interested seeing that article assuming its compliant.

The early harrier had TPOD integration problems that prevented it from dropping JDAMS in relative mode (TOO). No doubt these were fixed later on, but the real question is when. Also I'm pretty dubious about the accuracy of any TPOD generated coordiantes from long range in general for weapons delivery purposes. Then again, errors aren't modeled in DCS.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, since I am a bit slow lol... is the JDAM for the Harrier implemented already or is it yet to be updated? If it is in-game how does one access it because I tried to create a simple mission and on weapons profile I couldn’t find the JDAM...

Thanks a million for the assist

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]| ARMA 3 | DCS MODULES : M2000C | HUEY | A10C | F/A 18 C | Ka-50 | Hawk T1A | Yak 52 | AV-8B | Su 27 | F15C | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Viper( loading:):):) )

Still being worked on .I am just making a

Video showing you how to enter the targets from the f10 menu.

Will share shortly:)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

https://www.2ndmaw.marines.mil/News/Article-View/Article/522816/avengers-unleash-wrath-with-historic-jdam-strike/

6th paragraph from the bottom

Actually looks like it depends more on the JDAM modeled than the aircraft

Hm, that is interesting. Though the other documentation I have suggests that the software version on the harrier couldn't set the relative BIT for a while due to a bug as well. I guess we get the later "working" version with later model Jdams and software.

Edited by Harlikwin

Still being worked on .I am just making a

Video showing you how to enter the targets from the f10 menu.

Will share shortly:)

thank you, I can’t wait.

Great work...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]| ARMA 3 | DCS MODULES : M2000C | HUEY | A10C | F/A 18 C | Ka-50 | Hawk T1A | Yak 52 | AV-8B | Su 27 | F15C | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Viper( loading:):):) )

@Decoy

Looks cool/complicated :thumbup:

So how will this work in an online context? Can someone else create these points, i.e. an online player JTAC can create marks on the F10 map, can I then just load those up from the common F10 map?

@Decoy

Looks cool/complicated

So how will this work in an online context? Can someone else create these points, i.e. an online player JTAC can create marks on the F10 map, can I then just load those up from the common F10 map?

This is still being worked out and I will provide updates over the coming weeks, I promise :)

This is still being worked out and I will provide updates over the coming weeks, I promise :)

Cool.

I guess that also answers my second question if they are coming tomorrow. Guess not :)

Cool.

I guess that also answers my second question if they are coming tomorrow. Guess not :)

Not yet I'm afraid :)

I had the same thought as Harlikwin here. Basically the easiest approach would be to combine the "Pilot name" with TO numbers for all marks created by JTAC for a specific plane.

Something like "DODGE11-TO1" marking the first target for DODGE11.

Edited by shagrat
Correcting autocorrection...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I had the same thought as Harlikwin hear. Basically the easiest approach would be to combine the "Pilot name" with TO numbers for all marks created by JTAC for a specific plane.

Something like "DODGE11-TO1" marking the first target for DODGE11.

Yeah, I can see some issues with just using the system online the way its presented in the vid, since every harrier would get the same mark points, or if two different JTAC's designated different TGT1's etc. Also specifying it to a specific plane could also be an issue if someone marks something an hour before and you want to use that markpoint if that guy didn't do the mission, got shot down or whatever.

Honestly I'd rather see some general DCS wide system to do stuff like this, i.e. improved JTAC and online mission planning system, not just for the harrier.

Will it be possible to use the "F10 map target marking system" to designate targets also for other kind of weapons like dumb bombs or mavs?

You can kind of do it now by just manually pulling the coordinates from the F10 map, and making a waypoint out of that depending on the plane you are in and then converting it to weapon designation point. But its a bit clunky and very dependent on how good of a job the other guy did of marking it (so at least thats realistic I guess).

You can kind of do it now by just manually pulling the coordinates from the F10 map, and making a waypoint out of that depending on the plane you are in and then converting it to weapon designation point. But its a bit clunky and very dependent on how good of a job the other guy did of marking it (so at least thats realistic I guess).

Yes, I do this all the time on the GAW server. I call it my pre-mission intelligence briefing:D

• Go to the F10 map location where the targets are found.
  • Zoom in to the highest zoom level.
  • Press LCTRL-F11 to go into free-look mode at that location.
  • Turn on the map bar at the bottom and set the map coordinates to deg, hrs, min.00. (I can't tell you the key-presses, because I've changed mine and I don't recall the defaulty, but LCTRL-Y IIRC to toggle the info bar on and off).
  • Use mouse and scroll-wheel to navigate from target to target stopping directly over a target (NUM5) to gather the coordinates and note them. Using the In-Game Scratchpad Mod to note the coordinates is immensely helpful for doing this :thumbup:.
  • Once you've noted all targets, F1 back into the cockpit and add the coordinates as waypoints per the usual.
  • Happy hunting!

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1