HUD Symbology on landing

Weegie

So this is a stupid question but I'm struggling to get an answer to it

When you're doing an IFR approach you start in the HUD with a dotted line which is meant to show the offfset to the Glideslope beacon and terminates on the Horizon at the beacon position

You also get an open box and you place the flightpath symbol into that box

(If I even have that correct)

I'm just struggling to do anything meaningful with it, I'm either chasing the box all over the HUD and watching the NAV pointer telling me I'm swinging right then left etc:

As far as the dotted line what is telling me? If I try to fly to that I end up miles away

Usually it's only TACAN and the synthetic runway that saves me

I know it's me as watching the tutorials like the Reapers they seem to do it with ease

Where on earth am I going wrong? I just think it would really help if I understood what the symbology is telling me

The localizer line gives you a course deviation input.

The farther it drifts to a side, the bigger is your course deviation.

Currently marker on the horizon doesn't match beacon position. Not sure it will be ever corrected

The box give course deviation and glideslope deviation.

They basically are hints to help you correct your flight path towards the correct course/glide.

You have to fly keeping in mind your final heading and glide angle, and use course deviation indicator to increase/decrease your offset toward final heading course and glide deviation to increase/decrease your descent rate.

Don't chase indicators. Make small corrections and watch effects on deviation indicators then keep correcting by small touch until you're on correct course and glide

You have the equivalent indicators bars on the "Boule" (attitude indicator), you might find it easier to use at the beginning.

Edited by Steph21

Where on earth am I going wrong? I just think it would really help if I understood what the symbology is telling me

You are not doing anything wrong - the behaviour of the localiser HUD line in DCS is wrong.

Like the synthetic runway, the localiser should be tied to the landing waypoint and use the runway's course. It should not float about the HUD like a wayward Azimuth Steering Line.

Until the bug is fixed, you'll use the TACAN (or the landing waypoint) bearing to line up on the runway heading and use the raw ILS data shown on the ADI/HUD ILS box (right arrow = left of localiser, fly right).

Note: The HUD box isn't a flight director and placing the FPM inside will cause an overshoot of the localiser/Glide Slope if not already lined up with the runway.

This is what it would look like if modelled correctly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=165259&stc=1&d=1498939234

Similar Airbus system.

attachment.php?attachmentid=165258&d=1498938012

Bug report : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3183828#post3183828

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080