Mouse based flight control (see video) - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #11
zhukov032186

Btw, the SUPER SUPER CASUAL NEVER TOUCHED A FLIGHTSIM crow will never touch DCS. You're not ''missing a marketshare''. It's about as backasswards as thinking that Ferrarri missed out by not catering to the people buying eco-electric hybrids. Totally different markets. People buying a Leaf are not the same kind of people that will be in the market for an Italian exotic. There is no overlap there.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #12
TomOnSteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
That's the purpose of MAC, to cater to the non-sim casual community. Mouse flight is a specifically mentioned goal.

As for trying to shoehorn that into a ''hardcore flightsim''....

If you've got $60 for a plane module, you've got $20 for a cheap stick. Seriously, what's the reasoning with people's purchasing priorities? I see folks with a $800 1080ti but that last few dollars to not use a mouse just really breaks the bank! You don't need $1200 worth of peripherals. You need $20-50. Less than the cost of the module the person is failing at using @@

If somebody's new to flightsims and want to see if they'll like it, they should probably start with something less complicated in the first place. Dumbing down DCS itself to any significant extent isn't going to be helpful.

I don't think it's dumbing down DCS, it's simply making the it more accessible, and that's only a good thing for new comers - without changing our experience of DCS at all. Think of it as a gateway to get people hooked ;-)
As long as the mouse controls work like OP's video when you are in the cockpit view too, then I can see it being a good option.

If someone has to $20-$50 to spend, I'd imagine ED would rather that money goes to them, instead of a stick manufacturer.

The other thing is, a 1080ti is going to be useful for a whole manner of games and sims, where as a HOTAS is basically useless outside of DCS and perhaps that one popular space simulator which has been in alpha for the last 7 years . But it's easier to justify the cost of a graphics card because of the many uses.

Last edited by TomOnSteam; 09-18-2019 at 11:11 PM.
TomOnSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #13
TomOnSteam

Quote:
Btw, the SUPER SUPER CASUAL NEVER TOUCHED A FLIGHTSIM crow will never touch DCS. You're not ''missing a marketshare''. It's about as backasswards as thinking that Ferrarri missed out by not catering to the people buying eco-electric hybrids. Totally different markets. People buying a Leaf are not the same kind of people that will be in the market for an Italian exotic. There is no overlap there.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I started with LOMAC in game mode..... :-)

btw Ferrari released what are essentially 4 door hatchbacks some years ago, as well as the Porsche SUVs
Ferrari FF and also this https://youtu.be/o5HxzPfeHEQ

Last edited by TomOnSteam; 09-18-2019 at 11:19 PM.
TomOnSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #14
Tippis

Quote:
If somebody's new to flightsims and want to see if they'll like it, they should probably start with something less complicated in the first place. Dumbing down DCS itself to any significant extent isn't going to be helpful.
Adding options can never dumb anything down. Quite the opposite. And DCS is already dumbed down as far as it can ever get by having arrow-key flight controls.

DCS binds already need to be made far more flexible and less tied down to the random assumptions of the developer, letting people set up whatever complex input system they like without arbitrary limitations. This is just another one of those restrictions that has no place in a modern game to begin with, and which would only improve DCS if it were removed.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #15
WinterH

Really the wrong demographics for DCS. ED is already making MAC to cater to that demographic. As far as I recall they did even mention mouse control being a thing for MAC when it comes.

Clicky-pits is an essential part of DCS, failing that mouse is also the device for looking around for people without head tracking equipment like myself. Are we arguing that a person would not be able to afford an entry level flight stick, but has no issue in getting a head tracking device? Sounds odd to me

Honorable Mention Mods:
Community A-4E and MB-339 mods

Wishlist:
MiG-23, MiG-27, Jaguar, Su-24M2, F-111, A-6E, A-7E&D, Ju-88A4, Ju-87G2&D5,F-4E,Mirage F-1, Mi-28N, Extra 300,J-7,MiG-25, Battle of Britain era British and German aircraft, A6M5 Zero, Fw-190F8, Super Tucano,Su-17.
WinterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #16
Tippis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
Really the wrong demographics for DCS. ED is already making MAC to cater to that demographic. As far as I recall they did even mention mouse control being a thing for MAC when it comes.

Clicky-pits is an essential part of DCS, failing that mouse is also the device for looking around for people without head tracking equipment like myself. Are we arguing that a person would not be able to afford an entry level flight stick, but has no issue in getting a head tracking device? Sounds odd to me
No, we're arguing that sometimes you'd like to get a bit of flight-time in without having access to the wardrobe-full of peripherals that DCS players tend to accumulate over time.

Hell, even on my main DCS computer it would be very handy as an option when testing missions, since it's a bit of a faff to go between the mouse/kb UI of the mission and the HOTAS+TIR scheme needed to quickly fly through and test out what you've made.

If they're already implementing mouse control into MAC, there's pretty much zero reason not to port that over to DCS as well.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
SharpeXB

I don’t think mouse flight control would be used enough in DCS to be feasible for ED to develop it.

This mouse style control is really for people who have no idea how an aircraft is controlled and it’s basically for sky shooter games. The mouse doesn’t emulate stick axis inputs, it flies the plane wherever you point the cursor. It needs an auto rudder since there is no axis for that. So it’s not that simple to implement.

Personally I find controlling aircraft without a flight stick utterly impossible. The Y axis is inverted compared to normal mouse usage or FPS games. If you are used to a flight stick or even know that pulling back on it makes you go up, it’s simply an impossible reflex to unlearn.
I would never even attempt to play DCS without the flight controls like on a laptop or something, the frustration factor would be too high.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #18
Nate--IRL--
Veteran

There have been various requests over time from disabled people for such a feature, and I pushed for it, back when I had the ear of the people in ED who could make it happen. Nothing came of it however.

Nate
Old 09-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #19
CAmastersgt

Who even cares, let mousers be mousers.

Doesn't affect me. If ED want's to cater to that, let them. Doesn't affect me and won't get BUTT HURT by what someone uses to control their aircraft. Just be happy there is an erratic flying aircraft for you to shoot at.

It's just a GAME! (Detailed Flight Sim)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmastersgt View Post
Just be happy there is an erratic flying aircraft for you to shoot at.
In other flight sims with mouse control, it’s a server setting and usually locked for joystick only on most servers, the realistic kind. There are no “game mode” servers I’ve ever seen in DCS so likely it wouldn’t be available for multiplayer. Mouse control can actually have an advantage over joysticks so “realistic” servers will lock it out.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote