A/A Radar Locking Wrong Target - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 02:14 AM   #1
Wicked.-

Default A/A Radar Locking Wrong Target

Over the last couple weeks I've noticed that when I lock an air to air target it will jump to another target outside the cursors instead of the one they're on. This has happened multiple times recently for no reason.
My process for locking a target begins with pointing in their direction, when available getting a bogie dope mainly for altitude but to confirm bearing/aspect as well. If I'm on a server and comms are flooded I'll make the SA page SOI, slide my cursor over the D/L provided contact and get altitude. After which I switch back to radar adjust antenna elevation and TDC depress to lock. For whatever reason, many times it locks a completely different target and most times a friendly one. The only thing I can see causing this is bad D/L data showing the contacts bullseye position. However I'm sure if I just used AWACS BRAA calls to find them on radar without using the SA page to get there more quickly it would put me in the right spot. Is it possible my bullseye setting is off?
This has only started happening recently and I've been flying the 18 since it was released. With the Viper to be released soon I've begun using my bullseye in the jet, whereas I didn't before.

Anyone else having this issue?

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Last edited by Wicked.-; 09-16-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Wicked.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:19 AM   #2
Wicked.-

I think I answered my own question but will leave the thread up for comment. When I have IFF and Data Link enabled, AWACS and I assume, friendly units with data link are sending me contacts. Originally the D/L contacts were on the SA page but now they are also on the radar screen. Typically if I roll my cursor over the D/L linked contact on radar I can't lock it because I don't have the radar scanning the right altitude. So using the above method to get the right altitude I try and lock the target but it goes to another target not in the brackets. However, if I wait a second or more I see the altitude pop up on the right of the bracketed contact. At this point, if I lock the target it's almost always right. If I lock early I'm guessing the radar has not swept enough to resolve the contact and instead auto locks whatever contact it does see.
This became an issue after flying online with EWRS enabled for several months. Without it, I found I was always looking for the altitude to scan. Using the SA page to get altitude then switch back to radar is very quick but you still have to wait for the radar to resolve the target before locking.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #3
Santi871

Yes, currently if there's no onboard track (target your radar has found) directly under the cursor, it ignores the distance at which your cursor is positioned and locks the first thing it sees at the cursor's azimuth, which could be something dozens of miles behind or in front your intended target. It shouldn't work like this but for now it does.

Last edited by Santi871; 09-16-2019 at 03:38 AM.
Santi871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:11 AM   #4
Harker

I also believe the radar should have the capability to adjust itself automatically if you command a lock on a MSI trackfile that's not detected by your own radar (donated contact that appears on the radar scope). The MC knows the BRA of the target (because you got it through the Datalink) and feeds this information to the radar that in turn adjusts itself for correct antenna elevation etc.
We don't have that in the sim yet, but it's reported to the devs and they'll look into whether this is true for our version of the Hornet.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700k, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 @3000CL15, 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Hornet grip on T-50 base, Warthog side-stick, Warthog throttle, TPR pedals, 3 Cougar MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR w/Pro clip|
F/A-18C, F-16C, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, P-51D, Sptifire, BS2, FC3, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Last edited by Harker; 09-20-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:34 AM   #5
Wicked.-

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation!

Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Preendog

To be clear, the radar doesn't currently use any range discrimination while locking in DCS. This has been acknowledged in the bug forum.

So even if you click on an ownship detected brick, the radar may still lock something further, nearer or slightly to the side. Even if the contact is way off your scope, like a tanker 150 miles away.
Preendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
victorlima01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harker View Post
Another thing is that IRL the radar is able to adjust itself automatically if you command a lock on a MSI trackfile that's not detected by your own radar (donated contact that appears on the radar scope). The MC knows the BRA of the target (because you got it through the Datalink) and feeds this information to the radar that in turn adjusts itself for correct antenna elevation etc.
We don't have that in the sim yet, but it's reported.

Ohhhhh man that would be so sweet.
victorlima01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #8
DeathAngel1+
Posting Rights Suspended

After last update, there are not square or diamond when lock targets when using 120C/B. Has anyone else faced same issue?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #9
Wicked.-

I get both but I'll get a square on a hostile instead of a diamond until the radar has a confirmed lock. Only then will it go to a diamond. I don't have this problem inside of 10NM using boresight. I would really like having the vertical scan in ACM mode work as well.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
max22

Radar is just not good enough. I target hostile and I kill friendly time and again.

Last edited by max22; 09-18-2019 at 04:16 AM.
max22 is offline   Reply With Quote