Air to air refueling... - Page 7 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #61
viper2097
Senior Member
 
viper2097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Austria - LOXZ
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
In another thread about boom refueling, I asked Sierra99, a former boom operator, if the contact with a boom does stabilize the own speed and position.


I want an AAR in DCS that is correctly simulated according to his answer:
OMG, this answer is just awesome
I want to have a "Boom operator" module .
__________________
Steam user - Youtube
viper2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #62
SmoglessPanic
Junior Member
 
SmoglessPanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
OMG, this answer is just awesome
I want to have a "Boom operator" module .
Agreed!!

I wonder if the pilots eventually figure out that the boom operator is messing with them when they drop like a tank a couple of times...lol...just awesome!

SmoglessPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #63
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harker View Post
This. I mostly refuel with the basket (Hornet), but I trained a little with the boom yesterday. I can't say that I observed any difference in the behavior of my aircraft with the boom attached or not, which doesn't feel realistic IMO.
Yeah, I recently tried out refueling with the F15 to practice a bit. And while I can start transferring fuel there doesn't seem to be any difference if the boom is attached, which seems to make it harder than the basket refulers in some ways.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #64
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
OMG, this answer is just awesome
I want to have a "Boom operator" module .
This will come after the Carrier module. I'm just not sure how ED will work cows into this.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #65
Tom Kazansky
Member
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
This will come after the Carrier module. I'm just not sure how ED will work cows into this.

Although a boom operator module definitely would be a good thing, I hope they first care about a stabilising connection between tanker and fighter like real life.


I don't want to wait a year or two after the Viper release because of work on communication protocols or drag or turbulence implementation or... I just want a real connection. Making a contact is not the unrealistic thing. The "contact" witch is none, is the problem.
Tom Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #66
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Although a boom operator module definitely would be a good thing, I hope they first care about a stabilising connection between tanker and fighter like real life.


I don't want to wait a year or two after the Viper release because of work on communication protocols or drag or turbulence implementation or... I just want a real connection. Making a contact is not the unrealistic thing. The "contact" witch is none, is the problem.
I was largely being facetious. And yes an actual contact would be nice. It currently feels like I'm taking fuel when im in some magic box area that is very easy to pop out of not like I'm attached to a tanker.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #67
Tom Kazansky
Member
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
I was largely being facetious. And yes an actual contact would be nice. It currently feels like I'm taking fuel when im in some magic box area that is very easy to pop out of not like I'm attached to a tanker.

Exactly.


I hope ED is watching us. I'm afraid nobody cares about the 100th thread about air refuelling.


Solving that contact issue could be a game changer forever. And the Viper would be a legend for lots of people that have been struggling with AAR so far.


Plz ED take the chance and make the most realistic AAR by boom.



Thanks
Tom Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:23 AM   #68
donkeyrider
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 150
Default

Given how important AAR is for modern US fighters, I feel that there should be a "easy" mode for those who don't have the time to dedicate to learning how to do it. Simply move into the pre-contact position and press a key to lock in and start taking fuel. It would work similar to U key in Hornet module for getting attached to the catapult.
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #69
SmoglessPanic
Junior Member
 
SmoglessPanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post
Given how important AAR is for modern US fighters, I feel that there should be a "easy" mode for those who don't have the time to dedicate to learning how to do it. Simply move into the pre-contact position and press a key to lock in and start taking fuel. It would work similar to U key in Hornet module for getting attached to the catapult.
I don't agree with this, the fun is learning it and it being as close as we can get to real life. If you don't have the time to learn or are having a difficult time then practice, once a day at least like I did, forget about it take a breather and come back to it like I did. Everyone has their own way of learning, what I am getting at is don't give up.

There are other sims out there which are easier, I like DCS because it tries to keep everything as close to realistic as possible for a sim. I had trouble with AA refueling at first, the SU-33 helped me get a feel for it and then with the Hornet I finally learned it.

I'm not saying I'm an expert and can stay attached the whole time but I can AAR now and it's pretty satisfying to bank away from that tanker with a full fuel load.
SmoglessPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #70
Tom Kazansky
Member
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post
Given how important AAR is for modern US fighters, I feel that there should be a "easy" mode for those who don't have the time to dedicate to learning how to do it. Simply move into the pre-contact position and press a key to lock in and start taking fuel. It would work similar to U key in Hornet module for getting attached to the catapult.

With a realistic boom AAR in DCS we won't need no easy mode. Caus the hardest thing, which is staying within the zone, a real contact would help a lot like it does IRL.
Tom Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:59 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.