Air to air refueling... - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #61
viper2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
In another thread about boom refueling, I asked Sierra99, a former boom operator, if the contact with a boom does stabilize the own speed and position.

I want an AAR in DCS that is correctly simulated according to his answer:
OMG, this answer is just awesome
I want to have a "Boom operator" module .
Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #62
SmoglessPanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
Agreed!!

I wonder if the pilots eventually figure out that the boom operator is messing with them when they drop like a tank a couple of times...lol...just awesome!

SmoglessPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #63
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harker View Post
This. I mostly refuel with the basket (Hornet), but I trained a little with the boom yesterday. I can't say that I observed any difference in the behavior of my aircraft with the boom attached or not, which doesn't feel realistic IMO.
Yeah, I recently tried out refueling with the F15 to practice a bit. And while I can start transferring fuel there doesn't seem to be any difference if the boom is attached, which seems to make it harder than the basket refulers in some ways.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #64
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
This will come after the Carrier module. I'm just not sure how ED will work cows into this.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #65
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
This will come after the Carrier module. I'm just not sure how ED will work cows into this.

Although a boom operator module definitely would be a good thing, I hope they first care about a stabilising connection between tanker and fighter like real life.

I don't want to wait a year or two after the Viper release because of work on communication protocols or drag or turbulence implementation or... I just want a real connection. Making a contact is not the unrealistic thing. The "contact" witch is none, is the problem.
Tom Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #66
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Although a boom operator module definitely would be a good thing, I hope they first care about a stabilising connection between tanker and fighter like real life.

I don't want to wait a year or two after the Viper release because of work on communication protocols or drag or turbulence implementation or... I just want a real connection. Making a contact is not the unrealistic thing. The "contact" witch is none, is the problem.
I was largely being facetious. And yes an actual contact would be nice. It currently feels like I'm taking fuel when im in some magic box area that is very easy to pop out of not like I'm attached to a tanker.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #67
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
I was largely being facetious. And yes an actual contact would be nice. It currently feels like I'm taking fuel when im in some magic box area that is very easy to pop out of not like I'm attached to a tanker.

Exactly.

I hope ED is watching us. I'm afraid nobody cares about the 100th thread about air refuelling.

Solving that contact issue could be a game changer forever. And the Viper would be a legend for lots of people that have been struggling with AAR so far.

Plz ED take the chance and make the most realistic AAR by boom.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2019, 01:23 AM   #68
donkeyrider

Given how important AAR is for modern US fighters, I feel that there should be a "easy" mode for those who don't have the time to dedicate to learning how to do it. Simply move into the pre-contact position and press a key to lock in and start taking fuel. It would work similar to U key in Hornet module for getting attached to the catapult.
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #69
SmoglessPanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post
Given how important AAR is for modern US fighters, I feel that there should be a "easy" mode for those who don't have the time to dedicate to learning how to do it. Simply move into the pre-contact position and press a key to lock in and start taking fuel. It would work similar to U key in Hornet module for getting attached to the catapult.
I don't agree with this, the fun is learning it and it being as close as we can get to real life. If you don't have the time to learn or are having a difficult time then practice, once a day at least like I did, forget about it take a breather and come back to it like I did. Everyone has their own way of learning, what I am getting at is don't give up.

There are other sims out there which are easier, I like DCS because it tries to keep everything as close to realistic as possible for a sim. I had trouble with AA refueling at first, the SU-33 helped me get a feel for it and then with the Hornet I finally learned it.

I'm not saying I'm an expert and can stay attached the whole time but I can AAR now and it's pretty satisfying to bank away from that tanker with a full fuel load.
SmoglessPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #70
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post

With a realistic boom AAR in DCS we won't need no easy mode. Caus the hardest thing, which is staying within the zone, a real contact would help a lot like it does IRL.