HP Reverb Stutters - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #31
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones308th View Post
Okay guys. Here’s the latest: I removed the “//“, and it did make a noticeable difference. However, I’m still getting them. The frame rate changes are narrower after the edit for sure. In other words, instead of swinging wildly between 45 and 90, they’re +/- 5 FPS or so, when the frame rates are somewhere in between 90 and 45. When I get low to the ground and frames are locked at 45, is a smooth experience. Is there any way of locking the frames at 45 FPS? If I can do that, I think it’ll cure the problem.

Bones
Great, it may be worth switching back to the non beta version of SteamVR. For me SteamVR introduced some variance in FPS. You can lock reprojection on by setting "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector"
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 AM   #32
Bones308th

Okay guys, I finally got the Reverb to work right. Thank you guys so much for your help! I systematically troubleshooted it today, and here's what I came up with:

I was running Windows Mixed Reality instead of Windows Mixed Reality for Steam. When I found out I was running the wrong WMR version, when I got the headset, I installed WMR for Steam, but did not uninstall WMR. When I turned on the PC, WMR would launch automatically. There was no obvious way for me to tell the difference in the two applications, as there's no difference in the application window tittle, to indicate which version of the app I was running. In other words Windows Mixed Reality, and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam, looked identical, from looking at the upper left hand corner of the main application screen. So, apparently, those two applications don't appear to run well together.

After correcting that, I launched DCS and had the stutters, but at a much less frequency. I then made the edits to the file by removing the "//", and things really improved to almost being completely smooth. The frames where no longer bouncing all over the place. So that was awesome!

The final change that made it completely smooth, was bringing down my PD within DCS to 1.0, from 1.5.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1. I was abled to see the light indication on the upper left of the headset. What's the difference between the green light, and the blue?

2. If there's anyone here running the Reverb with the i9-9900k, and the 2080Ti. What resolutions are you showing within Steam VR, for Application and for Video? As default, I'm showing like a 19XX X 19XX number, or something like that. I ended up sliding the Video setting to 188%, and I ended up getting something like 22XX X 21XX.

I hope the above, helps someone with the same issue I had. Thanks again guys! I really appreciate your help.

Ray
Bones308th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #33
Baldrick33

Quote:
I was running Windows Mixed Reality instead of Windows Mixed Reality for Steam. When I found out I was running the wrong WMR version, when I got the headset, I installed WMR for Steam, but did not uninstall WMR. When I turned on the PC, WMR would launch automatically.
Are you saying you have uninstalled the WMR Portal?

My understanding is that WMR is the native application including device drivers and WMR for SteamVR enables us to play OpenVR apps using SteamVR. I have always assumed the WMR portal was a necessity.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #34
Hafer

Quote:
I was running Windows Mixed Reality instead of Windows Mixed Reality for Steam.
Hi Ray, strange cause you need both.
https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/08/moving...lus-to-reverb/

Cheers,
Hafer
Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #35
Baldrick33

Quote:
1. I was abled to see the light indication on the upper left of the headset. What's the difference between the green light, and the blue?

2. If there's anyone here running the Reverb with the i9-9900k, and the 2080Ti. What resolutions are you showing within Steam VR, for Application and for Video? As default, I'm showing like a 19XX X 19XX number, or something like that. I ended up sliding the Video setting to 188%, and I ended up getting something like 22XX X 21XX.
green = off because application can render at full framerate
light blue = on because application is cpu bound
dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

The WMR for Steam (non Beta) achieves native resolution at 188% in SteamVR

The WMR for SteamVR beta is 74% at native as it fixes the scaler. SteamVR applies a factor of 1.4 oversampling at 100% (IMHO more than the Reverb needs) based on compensation for lenses (probably for the Vive).
Old 09-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #36
Bones308th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick33 View Post
Are you saying you have uninstalled the WMR Portal?

My understanding is that WMR is the native application including device drivers and WMR for SteamVR enables us to play OpenVR apps using SteamVR. I have always assumed the WMR portal was a necessity.
I uninstalled WMR, and restarted the computer. I then downloaded and installed WMR for Steam VR, from the Steam website. It took me trough a little different setup process. They are two different applications right?

Ray
Old 09-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #37
Bones308th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick33 View Post
green = off because application can render at full framerate
light blue = on because application is cpu bound
dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

The WMR for Steam (non Beta) achieves native resolution at 188% in SteamVR

The WMR for SteamVR beta is 74% at native as it fixes the scaler. SteamVR applies a factor of 1.4 oversampling at 100% (IMHO more than the Reverb needs) based on compensation for lenses (probably for the Vive).
Okay, cool! So, set it as a percentage and disregard the resolutions shown then? Thanks man!

Ray
Old 09-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #38
Bones308th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafer View Post
Hi Ray, strange cause you need both.
https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/08/moving...lus-to-reverb/

Cheers,
Hafer
Man, at this point, I’m more confused than ever! Lol I uninstalled WMR from my computer and restarted it. Then went to the Steam website and downloaded WMR for Steam VR from there, and that’s when it started to work smoothly, after some additional setup. I’m hoping they improve the drivers/set up processes for that thing. The headset visual is great! The setup, completely sucked for me! Lol

Ray
Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #39
Baldrick33

Quote:
I uninstalled WMR, and restarted the computer. I then downloaded and installed WMR for Steam VR, from the Steam website. It took me trough a little different setup process. They are two different applications right?

Ray
So you never see the WMR portal (Cliff House thing) when you put the set on?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #40
Bones308th

Oh. One more thing that maybe you guys have an answer for. Do you guys get an orange bar across the top of the screen, a prompt that asks to use the Window + Y key to use the mouse? Is there a way to just use the mouse by default. I don’t need the controllers for DCS, or flight simulation for that matter. That feature sucks because, I always have to Alt-Tab to be able to use the Windows + Y key, so that I can use the mouse within VR and DCS.

Ray