Side stick vs Centre stick... - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 03:32 AM   #1
ScottyBS

Lightbulb Side stick vs Centre stick...

Just watching the cockpit famil video - didn’t realise the F16 was a side stick confit as opposed to centre ... would be interested to hear what the design/ergonomic/hmi benefits of the different configurations are - why is the f18 centre and f16 side? Anybody flown actual aircraft have thoughts on the +/- of them.

Thanks

Scott
ScottyBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:08 AM   #2
daarseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBS View Post
Just watching the cockpit famil video - didn’t realise the F16 was a side stick confit as opposed to centre ... would be interested to hear what the design/ergonomic/hmi benefits of the different configurations are - why is the f18 centre and f16 side? Anybody flown actual aircraft have thoughts on the +/- of them.

Thanks

Scott

Because it is a relatively small cockpit, but primarily due to the lack of movement from the stick - being a pressure command stick rather than input command stick.

The F-35A/B are also a side stick, FYI.

Cheers,

Don
Old 08-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
macrossMX

If I recall, the F-16 is a pressure/input hybrid stick because the first F-16 flyers apparently freaked out when they are getting no physical input from the stick.

And also, isn't the side stick configuration provide less of a left turn bias compared to a center stick where it is easier to pull left than right with a center stick.
macrossMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
Kid18120

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrossMX View Post
If I recall, the F-16 is a pressure/input hybrid stick because the first F-16 flyers apparently freaked out when they are getting no physical input from the stick.

And also, isn't the side stick configuration provide less of a left turn bias compared to a center stick where it is easier to pull left than right with a center stick.
The actual "control" is handled just by pressure sensors.
The stick moves very slightly just to give some kind of feedback to the pilots but has no mechanical connection to the FCS / control surfaces as far as i know

Simming since 2005
My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA GTX1070 FTW, Corsair HX850
Kid18120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Andysim212

Would love someone like Thrustmaster to make a pressure stick like that. Would be alot of R&D for a limited market though.
Andysim212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Nooch

It's not really a pressure stick. It still moves but just not as a much as a standard stick. Rafale and F-35 for example have the same. Some pilots told me that stick location didn't matter to them. My personal view on this is that side stick is better, not only does it allow for a more neutral body position which helps comfort, but also I find you can make more clean and precise stick movement with it.
Nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
Alicatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysim212 View Post
Would love someone like Thrustmaster to make a pressure stick like that. Would be alot of R&D for a limited market though.
Real Simulator has been making force sensor replacements for the TM Cougar for quite a few years now and also replacement force sensors and F-16 joystick handles for the Warthog.

http://realsimulator.com/
Old 08-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicatt View Post
Real Simulator has been making force sensor replacements for the TM Cougar for quite a few years now and also replacement force sensors and F-16 joystick handles for the Warthog.

http://realsimulator.com/
Yup and they are excellent.

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs : 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
It's not really a pressure stick. It still moves but just not as a much as a standard stick. Rafale and F-35 for example have the same. Some pilots told me that stick location didn't matter to them. My personal view on this is that side stick is better, not only does it allow for a more neutral body position which helps comfort, but also I find you can make more clean and precise stick movement with it.
I don’t know where you get this info. But it’s incorrect. The F-16 stick input are based around force not stick movement. The stick does move a small amount, but that is more of a byproduct of the force being applied then anything else.

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs : 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
ShadowXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
It's not really a pressure stick. It still moves but just not as a much as a standard stick.
The Viper's stick moves because they've added a little amount of movement into it. In the early days it didn't move at all, which pilots found to be both weird and also that it made it far too easy to input unwanted commands.

And the stick-movement has absolutely NOTHING to do with flightcontrol-input. Pressure-sensing rather than translating stick-movement into flightcontrol-actuation.
ShadowXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centre, hotas, question, side