New to sim (Couple of questions) - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #11
M1Combat

F/A-18 for sure. Do keep in mind that it's in Early Access currently. That basically means it just isn't finished... but it's VERY capable even so. As a little side benefit of EA... It also means you get to learn systems one at a time as they're introduced. With the caveat that many systems are already finished so... It will still feel somewhat complicated at first.

The F-5... while quite a good aircraft... is not super capable in PvP. It's usable... don't get me wrong... It's just more challenging in some respects. It uses somewhat shorter range IR (Heat seeking) missiles. This is both a blessing and a curse ... A good pilot can most certainly kill anything else with it... but it's absolutely more difficult to do so. I quite like it ... but it's not a monster like the F/A-18

Also you might look into using the regular DCS E-Shop version instead of Steam. Both work fine... and both work with Steam VR if you go that route.

Nvidia RTX2080 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)

Last edited by M1Combat; 08-26-2019 at 09:09 PM.
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
animaal

For me, the F/A-18 is an incredible weapons platform that happens to be in the air. The F-5 is a seat-of-the-pants plane that happens to have a few weapons.

I get a lot of fun from the F-5, but it does suffer on most multiplayer servers, especially now that groups of F/A-18 have datalink.

Looking at single-player DLC campaigns, I think the F-5 has two versus one for the f/A-18, but I imagine the F/A-18 will eventually have more due to the (presumably) larger sales of the module.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #13
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break View Post
1) if it's between the X52 and the X56, go with the X52. I heard the X56 struggles with build quality and has poor ergonomics. If you do decide you might consider something else, take a look at Thrustmaster. Especially the T16000M and the TWCS are excellent value. (And i'm usually a Logitech fanboy)

2) Considering you've already flown warbirds, you have a better understanding of flight dynamics than most beginners, so really you should take the plane you're most interested in. You might be able to get the fullest potential out of the F-5 quicker than the F-18, but that's just because the latter is way more complex and versatile. All said, the F-18 is an easy aircraft to fly, so I'm pretty sure you'd have no problem with it.
The X-52 has poor ergonomics and very poor layout, plus an idiotic design tethering the stick and throttle together. Also, ALL Saitek products suffer from poor quality components. Maybe people don't always have serious issue with it, but I've owned an X52, X55, X56, and several single smaller sticks... all had issues.

The 55/56 are the best of the bunch for ergonomics and general usability, although they still have cheapish internal components. The 56 improves on the 55, particularly the centering washer which is no longer so prone to catching. 52/55/56 all require modification of the throttle to remove those retarded detents and whatever that obnoxiously thick goop is they put in there.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #14
ErdiFerenc

Hi everyone!
Sorry for the question, because this threat isnt the best place for it, but i couldnt find better.
I fly russian planes (Mig-15, Mig-21) and I couldnt find out how to select in F2 view metric units in the bar below.Could someone Tell me this secret?
ErdiFerenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Kid18120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErdiFerenc View Post
Hi everyone!
Sorry for the question, because this threat isnt the best place for it, but i couldnt find better.
I fly russian planes (Mig-15, Mig-21) and I couldnt find out how to select in F2 view metric units in the bar below.Could someone Tell me this secret?
Gameplay Settings i believe

Simming since 2005
My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA GTX1070 FTW, Corsair HX850
Kid18120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #16
ErdiFerenc

I have tried that yet, but it has changed only the units in Mission Editor.
ErdiFerenc is offline   Reply With Quote