VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

172 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

The right oculus button in-game opens the oculus overlay for me, not steamvr. So DCS seems to use the oculus s/w indeed.

The steps I took for starting it up: 1. Started VRK. SteamVR and oculus start automatically, steamvr ist displayed in the headset with VRK overlay working. 2. started DCS with --force_steam_VR from the desktop. VRK overlay disappears and DCS starts while SteamVR is still displayed in the headset. But then obviously oculus takes over...

I'm starting to feel a bit stupid here...

What I do is start oculus via OTT (Oculus Tray Tools), launch Steam and start SteamVR, load the VRK app, and then click DCS shortcut icon that forces SteamVR with the launch parameters.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Hi AMVI_Rider

outstanding project, trying it at the moment but having trouble to set the tablets rotation.

using standalone with a wacom intuos S, i am in wintab pen mode but cant change the tablet rotation , as i use the tablet 90° rotated on my left leg it should draw lines as id do in RL , but it doesn t . whatever tbalet rotation value i set its always like i hav to use the tablet in wide mode not portrait ,

sorry if this is not understandable

thx for help

disregard found it, i have to edit the saved preferences manually via a notepad app

Yep. This rotation "hack" works luckely for most WACOM Tablets. Would be nice if they just included it in the wacom drivers.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

again thx for these useful addition to DCS VR

i do not complete understand which value i have to alter to enlarge the highlight/popout are for the vrk. the focus area for making it popout seems quite small can i somehow enlarge it so it becomes big earlier, that i do not have to look at it directly straight? many thx

The popup area is not definable because it is controlled by SteamVR. The API provideS the indication if the user is looking at the overlay or not.

Of course it can be custom implemented and it is something I have to do anyway for the Oculus ... it will came for free also for SteamVR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

made a strapmount for the intuos S, easyprint version

IMG_20191107_072105.thumb.jpg.667ca9ac6999ccef26cb73ee3011712f.jpg

tablethalter wacom intuos s v5.zip

Edited by FoxDelta

The overlay finally works - in fact it did all the time...

The zero coordinates for positioning the overlay are different inside steamVR and DCS. So when I set up the kneeboards position while viewing it in steamVR, DCS elevated it above my head when it started up. And from below it isn't visible as was already pointed out. So for me it seemed to disappear after working nicely outside DCS before. After I set its position up while in-game everything works perfectly well. In steamVR I'm on the floor level now when I start VRK, but I don't bother.

Btw, for me the starting order seems to have no impact on VRK.

Thanks again Panther for your ideas, tips and patience!

Alright I will try this.

I'm already off for my working week, so away from the sim until Friday evening. Will report back next weekend.

Thank you for your help so far Panther!

What is your Y value in the VRK settings? I have set Y=-0,55. Looks wrong inside steamVR, but works well inside DCS. The coordinate systems seem to be different. If DCS sets the Kneeboard above your head, it is invisible (from the backside).

Thanks for the reply but it still wont show up

You are using Oculus Rift S as well? Are you using the DCS Start parameter --force_steam_VR?

Looking forward to the Oculus Implementation, Rider. Would be awesome if you get this to work without the Steam Bottleneck. You should think about a donation button ;-)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

i can get this to work until i start up dcs, i have installed steam vr but as soon as i fire up dcs the kneeboard dissapears

Seems that DCS is still not using SteamVR which make me thinks that you are not starting DCS with "--force_VR --force_steam_VR" options added to its link.

If you don't or you are not sure, I suggest you to make a new link to DCS.exe, open its properties and add the above options as described in the Quick Start Guide.

Feature request. Option for thicker pen line, if feasible.

Added to the TODO list.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

You are using Oculus Rift S as well? Are you using the DCS Start parameter --force_steam_VR?

Looking forward to the Oculus Implementation, Rider. Would be awesome if you get this to work without the Steam Bottleneck. You should think about a donation button ;-)

I noticed you post just after clicking submit to mine.

In the last few days I was absent in the forum and you're giving me the opportunity to share the reason.

As you may have noticed from my avatar, some days ago during AMVI annual workshop we lost Ruggero (Rugerone). He was a friend, a father and one of the most experienced pilots I have ever met. This tragedy hit our community deeply and doing anything related to sims is difficult if not painful.

I'm personally starting to go back to usual lightweight activities like reading posts and VRK development. Thank you for reading this post and sharing a thought for his family.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Sad to hear. My sincere condolences to his familiy and your community.

Thank you for letting us know about the possible slow down.

Take care.

I noticed you post just after clicking submit to mine.

In the last few days I was absent in the forum and you're giving me the opportunity to share the reason.

As you may have noticed from my avatar, some days ago during AMVI annual workshop we lost Ruggero (Rugerone). He was a friend, a father and one of the most experienced pilots I have ever met. This tragedy hit our community deeply and doing anything related to sims is difficult if not painful.

I'm personally starting to go back to usual lightweight activities like reading posts and VRK development. Thank you for reading this post and sharing a thought for his family.

Loosing a wingman is always hard. I am very sorry for your loss.

Is there a space between ” -- ? Hard to see based on forum code.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP