VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

So seems that detection fired at least once but in your case is critical. Mind that there is a delay between the time you focus the kneeboard and the time it increases,

There's a detection setting which I changed in 1.1, frankly it should not make any difference but maybe the Pro is somewhat different.

I also added a video in the first post which shows how VRK is expected to look and operate. Let me know if something doesn't fit with what you see.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

Ok what I can see is that it doest function like that with HTC Vive Pro at least for me. I am using it just in standalone version but I cant focus on that or interact with it.

Do you have Rift what you have used for development?

Version 1.1 is out.

Ok what I can see is that it doest function like that with HTC Vive Pro at least for me. I am using it just in standalone version but I cant focus on that or interact with it.

Do you have Rift what you have used for development?

I have a Rift S and an old Vive which is stored in a box. If the changes made in 1.1 and the increased logging doesn't point to a cause I will take it out of the box and try HTC here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

Still same issue. Focus functionality is not working and kneeboard is kind of alpha (you can see through it)

When I check log I can see that it complains of missing dll module. I think this is missing because I do not have Windows tablet?

2019-08-19 08:36:57,857 [1] INFO VRKneeboard.App - Application Startup: 1.1.1.2

2019-08-19 08:36:57,977 [1] ERROR WintabDN.CWintabInfo - FAILED IsWintabAvailable: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'Wintab32.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

at WintabDN.CWintabFuncs.WTInfoA(UInt32 wCategory_I, UInt32 nIndex_I, IntPtr lpOutput_O)

at WintabDN.CWintabInfo.IsWintabAvailable()

Edited by Rymy

Still same issue. Focus functionality is not working and kneeboard is kind of alpha (you can see through it)

When I check log I can see that it complains of missing dll module. I think this is missing because I do not have Windows tablet?

Exactly.

So I think it's time to bring my HTC back to life ... For the time being I suggest to put the Default Alpha to 1.0 and maybe increse the Default size (at your discretion). So the non focused mode will be more readable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Version 1.1.1.04 is out

In this version I did a major overhaul of the Ink Canvas and WinTab support. Now the digitizer is not interacting with the mouse cursor that means that DCS will not loose focus due to writing in standalone mode.

Also, I completely changed the detection of Focused mode which become more responsive.

I also recorded another video that shows the operation in standalone+digitizer mode. Sorry for the quality, but I'm not a professional youtuber :smilewink:

Now the tool is usable (in terms of features) and I would like to take some time to stabilize it as is before adding major things.

Android project will follow if I find a proper HW. Frankly, the digitizer is so usable that I'm not using the tablet anymore.

Thank you for any trouble report.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Version 1.1.1.04 is out

In this version I did a major overhaul of the Ink Canvas and WinTab support. Now the digitizer is not interacting with the mouse cursor that means that DCS will not loose focus due to writing in standalone mode.

Also, I completely changed the detection of Focused mode which become more responsive.

I also recorded another video that shows the operation in standalone+digitizer mode. Sorry for the quality, but I'm not a professional youtuber :smilewink:

Now the tool is usable (in terms of features) and I would like to take some time to stabilize it as is before adding major things.

Android project will follow if I find a proper HW. Frankly, the digitizer is so usable that I'm not using the tablet anymore.

Thank you for any trouble report.

Any progress with Vive issues? I send you PM of my latests tests but i am not sure if you received that?

Not yet. Since today my full attention is to bugs and problems and yours is on top of the list.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Wow, I didnt see this topic.

This sounds awesome. :thumbup:

Need to read and watch every information in the lunch break.

I still have a Surface Pro 4 including Stylus laying around... (battery is weak). Would this be suitable for VRK?

Thanks

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Not yet. Since today my full attention is to bugs and problems and yours is on top of the list.

Ok. Lets say its common for HTC Vive/Pro users but i just wanted to check that you have received my PM's :) No rush, i have new toy VoiceAttack and Vaicom Pro to play around with for a while.

Wow, I didnt see this topic.

This sounds awesome. :thumbup:

Need to read and watch every information in the lunch break.

I still have a Surface Pro 4 including Stylus laying around... (battery is weak). Would this be suitable for VRK?

Thanks

Yes, as far as you can strap it to your leg :smilewink:

Configure VRK in server/client, disable WinTab mode and it should operate like in the first video.

Ok. Lets say its common for HTC Vive/Pro users but i just wanted to check that you have received my PM's :) No rush, i have new toy VoiceAttack and Vaicom Pro to play around with for a while.

Oh I got them, sorry for not having replied. I decided to stabilize the last release before entering so now I can focus on the matter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

A little update about compatibility.

I started checking low(er) cost WinTab devices and today I got a new Huion H950P.

The active area is exactly the size needed for the kneeboard, but the tablet is bigger and not suited for everybody IMHO:

attachment.php?attachmentid=216409&stc=1&d=1567086002

And now the bad news: their driver is quite good in terms of options for the average creative use, but the WinTab implementation is not complete enough to be used with VRK. Too bad I really liked the device at that pricepoint :(

I'm trying to contact their support in the hope that they have some developer support.

H950P.jpg.a783c1826a3f3f31bd3590d23fd37c13.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hi Rider, loving the app, works great using a surface.

I did love your WinTab option more after reading about it and decided to make this the direction I would use due to the smaller footprint offered and cost (I'm In AUS). The product I chose was the X-PEN G640S, which was a good price at $45.

Unfortunately and like the Huion its severely lacking in the driver department and doesn't allow an application-defined passthrough option for the pen and tablet short cuts, which is disappointing as it does pass them through without the driver installed, but doesn't allow me to then adjust the orientation of the tablet 90deg so it sits better on my leg and of course you loose other required options to make it work as desired usign VRK :(

I'm currently compromising by allowing windows ink which is a driver setting I can use to control the pen and tab shortcuts. Doing this at least gives me an eraser/pen option selection on the pen itself and I can scroll using the tablet shortcuts.

by making the zoom setting in the cockpit a little more extreme it compensates for the most part not having a pinch-zoom or gestures pen capability.

I've also reached out to X-PEN support to see if they are able to include an application-defined function in the driver, but I was wondering if it would be possible to add a key functions capability to VRK?

What I mean by this, is being able to use a key combo to select a feater like gestures etc (same as you would if using an application like photoshop), as this is something I can program in the driver options.

Anyway, just thought I would pass on my findings in case anyone else was looking at the X-PEN option.

Great app and something I will continue to use more and more as it matures

Cheers

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

I can not get VRK to run on my Surface Pro 3 client. Installed fine on server PC with SteamVR for use with HP Reverb. Program installs on client Surface, but will not run. I get the little rotating circle for a few seconds, then nada. OS is Win 10 ver 1709 up to date. Uninstalled/reinstalled with no joy. Suggestions?

You only need it on the machine you're HMD is connected to.

Cheers

Sent using Tapatalk

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

I can not get VRK to run on my Surface Pro 3 client. Installed fine on server PC with SteamVR for use with HP Reverb. Program installs on client Surface, but will not run. I get the little rotating circle for a few seconds, then nada. OS is Win 10 ver 1709 up to date. Uninstalled/reinstalled with no joy. Suggestions?

Some basic advice in case of this problems:

• Check that .NET Framework apps runs properly. VRK is targetted to .NET 4.7.2 which should be available in any properly updated windows machine. To check if 4.7.2 applications runs in your machine you can try this tool from MS: .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool
    (run it, select ".NET Framework 4.7.2" and click "Verify Now").
  • Disable antivirus or check ativirus log . I tested VRK with Windows Defender, but other AVs may not like it.
  • Disable windows firewall or any firewall you may have running (or be sure that VRK is allowed).
  • Send me VRK log and I will look for problems. The file is vrk.log located in C:\Users\<windows_user_name>\VRK\Logs. You can attach to an email (my address is in the quick start guide), or google drive / we transfer it.

I know that some people installed it on Surface tablets and I own a Windows tables less powerful than yours, so, it should be "environmental".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Turned off firewall and Defender. Verified .NetFramework. Another download and reinstall. Still no joy. Log complains about missing VRKneeboard.lib.OpenVROverlay. Log attached. Appreciate your help.

I don't know how the numbers I see in the log are generated, but there was a bug in that piece of code which may cause your issue. I sent you a PM with a link for a test version.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

The resolution thing is now ok and it is stopping later on, seems because you have steamvr installed on the surface but no hmd connected (this is because of a new piece of code).

Additional fix is on the way.

As the software is starting you don't need to stop AV and firewall anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I'm waiting for some reports on other things then I will deliver a new public version with this fix.

A little note on versioning: in the scheme I'm using 1.1.3.08 is 1.1 build 08. The 3 is the development stage with 3 meaning release (2 is RC, 1 is beta, 0 is alpha).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Designating_development_stage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I now have VRK working nicely on my Surface. Little trouble with zoom gesture, but I am sure that is my problem, not the program. I have feature suggestion: A method to hide/display the kneeboard. Then one could put the kneeboard anywhere in the cockpit and hide/display as desired.

I will add this feature in the next version.

Surface should be touch, so, you can use pinch-to-zoom and double tap to un-zoom, why do you use the gesture?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK