Engine power down - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
Magic Zach
Senior Member
 
Magic Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Joker View Post
Zach, if every time the engine go down is the pump... I'm talking because I had exactly the same problem when I started flying the Spitfire, tryied all the possible procedure to pressurize the fuel... Then one user on ED forum tell me to check the fuel pump... I completely missed it and also the autostart procedure apparently... Started to ignite it at the engine warm up and from that point I haven't anymore the problem

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
Just because the engine dies (without damage or overheat) does not mean it is the fuel pump. While it could be it (very possible) it does not mean that it is. Just because you had problem X, and found solution Y, does not mean solution Y is the only possible solution for everyone else's seemingly similar problem.
So, maybe it is the fuel pump, maybe it isn't. Until the OP provides more details (like the fuel pressure lamp), or at this point, merely reads the replies, will there be a definite answer.
1And the autostart doesn't miss it, it excludes it. It is, as I said, only to be turned on after takeoff.
__________________
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,189
Default

i climbed spit to 43k ft some day and had no problems with fuel pressure you need only switch fuel pump on thats it.
w/o fuel pup on engien will starve at high alt or after some negative g maneuvers
i have never ever used tank pressurisation on spit in dcs
you will get exact the same thing in p-51 if you start flying w/o fuel pump on too it will work fine at low alt and gentle flying but as soon you will make some negiative g loads or climb high yo uwill lose fuel pressure and engine will starve out of fuel

Last edited by grafspee; 07-07-2019 at 08:13 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #13
Hunter Joker
Member
 
Hunter Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
i climbed spit to 43k ft some day and had no problems with fuel pressure you need only switch fuel pump on thats it.
w/o fuel pup on engien will starve at high alt or after some negative g maneuvers
i have never ever used tank pressurisation on spit in dcs
you will get exact the same thing in p-51 if you start flying w/o fuel pump on too it will work fine at low alt and gentle flying but as soon you will make some negiative g loads or climb high yo uwill lose fuel pressure and engine will starve out of fuel
Me too, with fuel pump on, no need to do other.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
__________________
"La follia è come la gravità, basta una piccola spinta e....."

http://medusasquad.altervista.org/
http://medusasquad.altervista.org/forum/
https://www.youtube.com/user/garaganotube
Hunter Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #14
Magic Zach
Senior Member
 
Magic Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
i climbed spit to 43k ft some day and had no problems with fuel pressure you need only switch fuel pump on thats it.
Well, to be honest, that's unusual. While I haven't gone to 43,000, I have climbed to about 30,000, and my engine would not allow me to pass through 17,000 while I was climbing. It wasn't until I turned on my tank pressure that my engine stopped giving me problems. To not have any effects from having the pressure off at such an altitude is strange.

I can try running some experiments when I get home, but that's in 1.5 weeks
__________________
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #15
Magic Zach
Senior Member
 
Magic Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,409
Default

Regardless, it is best to turn on the tank pressure anyways, even if you don't experience any adverse effects. Because for A: realism and B: just in case you did need it, you already have it on.
__________________
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #16
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
Regardless, it is best to turn on the tank pressure anyways, even if you don't experience any adverse effects. Because for A: realism and B: just in case you did need it, you already have it on.
if you want realism fuelt tnak pressue shoudl be in normal position (normal = off)
pre-start up check list listing this hnadle to be in off position than this handle isnt mentioned in start up check list or taxi check list.
even in original spit manual this hnadle isnt mentioned even once in start up procediures
so in normal flight operations fuel pressure handle in normal position
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #17
Magic Zach
Senior Member
 
Magic Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
if you want realism fuelt tnak pressue shoudl be in normal position (normal = off)
pre-start up check list listing this hnadle to be in off position than this handle isnt mentioned in start up check list or taxi check list.
even in original spit manual this hnadle isnt mentioned even once in start up procediures
so in normal flight operations fuel pressure handle in normal position
It is only meant to be turned on until you reach critical altitude. If you want realism, you set it to ON at the critical altitude, like I've been saying, again.

I really, REALLY don't think you two are even reading what I'm saying, and only little key words that look interesting. I'm done arguing. If you want to fly the Spitfire improperly, have it your way. I've tried to help, but you guys aren't willing to listen, and trying to teach two people in denial has gotten old and exhausting.

Good day o7
__________________
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #18
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
It is only meant to be turned on until you reach critical altitude. If you want realism, you set it to ON at the critical altitude, like I've been saying, again.

I really, REALLY don't think you two are even reading what I'm saying, and only little key words that look interesting. I'm done arguing. If you want to fly the Spitfire improperly, have it your way. I've tried to help, but you guys aren't willing to listen, and trying to teach two people in denial has gotten old and exhausting.

Good day o7
its cleary said that fuel pressure must be turned on only whne fuel pressure light is on if not dont touch it so tuning it on just in case not realistic at all

im just in process of reading through spitfire manual

Last edited by grafspee; 07-07-2019 at 09:14 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #19
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,189
Default

its even said in that picture what you linked that fuel tank pressure on only when pressure warning lapm is on
if it is still not clearly to not turn on it before i cant help you then
at 20k ft there is automatic tank preessuratio nsystem which kick in by it self
and handle is used only when pressure light popup on

still not clear enough ??

Last edited by grafspee; 07-07-2019 at 10:57 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #20
ChuckIV
Junior Member
 
ChuckIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA.
Posts: 30
Default Try these steps...

GABY330,

While climbing for altitude, make sure to check your OIL PRESSURE. If the oil gets too cold at higher altitudes, you get HIGH oil pressure causing the stall. Turn on the OIL DILUTION for about a minute (adds petrol to the oil) - check periodically for too high an oil pressure. I like to keep my oil pressure around 90-100 p.s.i.

Also, keep supercharger pressure to 8 lbs. while climbing below the 2nd stage altitude. Once above the 2nd stage (orange supercharger light comes on), I run the pressure up to about 10 lbs.

Keep engine RPM to less than 2800 RPM while climbing.

Keep the OIL and ENGINE temperatures down!! Open the radiators. These last few things will help prevent the engine from seizing up.

If you are using a drop tank, then make sure you do not climb too steep (too high a climb rate). This will cause engine fuel starvation and a stall.

Do these simple things, and you will VERY RARELY have an engine stall on you. Good luck.

ChuckIV
__________________
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill

SYSTEM:
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) - 32.0 GB
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Pro on 110 GB SSD; DCS on 512 GB SSD; Backup Files on 931 GB Regular Drive
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Last edited by ChuckIV; 07-07-2019 at 10:45 PM.
ChuckIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.