F16 joystick/HOTAS discussion - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
RogueSqdn

Default F16 joystick/HOTAS discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxmike View Post
Yeah, you can do funny things with that old gameport stuff, I rebuilt my TQS for another Sim with a Bodnar board and added some switches and axes, I even made a working throttle release handle and detent, of course it is not flipping like the original throttle, but it is functional ....the cursor control is replaced with a PS thumbstick and precise this way.

Any way you can provide a little more info on the lever mod here? I’ve long been interested in modding my Cougar to achieve better idle/AB detents but wouldn’t know where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FalconNW MachV, Oculus Rift S

DEFENSOR FORTIS
RogueSqdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #22
Revvin

I kept my HOTAS Cougar throttle in the hope that one day we would get the F-16 in DCS, I just need to get the Realsimulator USB adaptor. Surely Thrustmaster still has the tooling and moulds to make a USB modern version of the TQS? The HOTAS Warthog stick is close enough.
Revvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #23
RaceFuel85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvin View Post
I kept my HOTAS Cougar throttle in the hope that one day we would get the F-16 in DCS, I just need to get the Realsimulator USB adaptor. Surely Thrustmaster still has the tooling and moulds to make a USB modern version of the TQS? The HOTAS Warthog stick is close enough.
I'm sure the molds exist, but getting them to just do the Hornet stick has been an exercise in frustration.

I'd sooner be able to lodge a piece of coal in my ass and squeeze it into a diamond before they actually take the bull by the horns and do the F-16 throttle again.
RaceFuel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #24
BuzzU

It will be easier to find Cougar and mod it. Sure wish I had kept my old one.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:11 PM   #25
RaceFuel85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
It will be easier to find Cougar and mod it. Sure wish I had kept my old one.
I wish my old one hadn't crapped out...period
RaceFuel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #26
BuzzU

The Warthog is definitely better. We just need a better throttle for the Viper. I'm not holding my breath for one considering how long the Hornet stick is taking.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:08 AM   #27
=Panther=

So with low to no supply and high demand, now is a good time to be selling a HOTAS Cougar.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Spoiler:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC
=Panther= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #28
Foxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSqdn View Post
Any way you can provide a little more info on the lever mod here? I’ve long been interested in modding my Cougar to achieve better idle/AB detents but wouldn’t know where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I try to explain, but it´s difficult to get the correct technical terms in English. It´s all improvised with DIY superstore and bicycle parts. The whole TQS body is fixed on one of my WheelStandPro bases, in the middle of the TQS side cover there is a simple bolt (for wooden doors...) fixed ( position of all parts improvised , just trial and error), the spring of that bolt keeps it downwards. I cut a kid-bicylce brake lever into parts and made a cable of some (trial and error) length, which is simply attached to the bolt by a green fence wire. If you pull the shortened brake lever, the bolt comes up. The detents are put on the base plate with instant adhesive, meanwhile I improved the metal stop for the AB detent with a bigger, ascending metal block. I fixed these detents (always trial and error) at a position, that you cant´t go to cutoff position without pulling the brake lever (cutoff release), but you can go over MIL to AB, by just kicking forward over that metal block. The resistance is much better than that small plastic noses which are integrated in the TQS by Thrustmaster.

Well, in XXX Sim it was possible to make the right settings, where the TQS throttle meets MIL and cutoff position, you even could make settings for hardware only cutoff position. I didn´t have seen that complexity for DCS settings, so I have to look, how the detents and positions are manageable with DCS Vipers. I hope that helps....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TQS.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	210674  
Foxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #29
RogueSqdn

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to give something like that a try with my Obutto. How did you mount the brake lever (and the cable holder on the right) to the TQS body? Glue to the plastic surface?

I ask because mounting on a metal Cougar might require a different method. I'm thinking bolts run through and tightened down with nuts.

Lastly, what is the clamp that you attached the brake line to the green wire with?

EDIT: I wonder if this is enough to get this done. Need to figure out brake-to-wire attachment though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cart.png
Views:	214
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	210725  

FalconNW MachV, Oculus Rift S

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Last edited by RogueSqdn; 05-25-2019 at 08:12 PM.
RogueSqdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #30
Kev2go

Since ifly various aircraft, and not a single aircraft, i feel it would be unpractical to buy an exact replica of say a warthog, if i am flying an F/A18, and will also be purchasing the Viper., and still occasionally flying other aircaft including those from earlier eras.

becuase the F/A18 has a totally different HOTAS than the Warthog, Warthog stick is similar to the F16 stick, but contains totally different throttle.

So i figure i may as well buy a new 1 size fits all HOTAS that isnt a replica of an exact HOTAS.

I currently have X55 Hotas, no complaints, but i was thinking of upgraded to a X56 because its largely the same, but has additional functions like the TDC cursor on the front of the throttle ( similar to Hornet) as well as a 4 way switch on the Flight stick which could be mapped for Countermeasures functions if flying F16 or if piloting a a Hornet mapped asn A/A weapon selector.

Would X56 be recomended? X65F looks pretty similar too?

X56 seems to have mediocre ( 3 to 3 and half stars) reviews due to some people having supposed quality control issues, or wear issues, , but my X55 sorta had the same reviews, although mine still works fine.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb ram (2666 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 05-26-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote