VR IMPROVEMENTS - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltokri View Post
There are some posts about great performance improvements since the last update of the beta version. I have only the stable version because of laking space on my SSD. But I hope the improvments come to stable version soon.
I saw no change in performance with last update.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
Wags
ED Team

The VR improvements are in work. Once we believe they are close to release, we will make an announcement. Based on history, we now avoid any time estimates until we are very certain.

Thanks!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Sniper175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
The VR improvements are in work. Once we believe they are close to release, we will make an announcement. Based on history, we now avoid any time estimates until we are very certain.

Thanks!
Excellent Wags !
Old 12-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #14
Zoomer

MSAA is a big fps killer, bring on DLSS and let AI do some of the heavy lifting. That and VRS will provide a big boost in performance. We have the tech with under utilized RTX GPU`s, what we need is the software to catch up.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #15
dburne
Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!

Thanks for that update, will be looking forward to it whenever it comes.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #16
javipamp

Quote:

Thanks!
Thank your very much for the news. We are really looking forward to seeing those improvements as I will surely invest more money in your planes and maps. Keep pushing hard on VR!!! It's the future once you have tried it.
javipamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #17
pagadi-zaiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrosko View Post
We just need some patience, creating another thread about it isn't going to speed things up.

No...we need clarity and good information if we are to spend more money on this platform. I am sure a lot of people will agree!

..Sorry Wags...have not seen your post...thank you for info provided!

Last edited by pagadi-zaiet; 12-26-2018 at 04:43 PM.
pagadi-zaiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #18
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrosko View Post
We just need some patience, creating another thread about it isn't going to speed things up.

No, but it does let ED know that there are more and more VR customers and that it is important to many of us.

Looking forward to the improvements (my money is on incorporating what Kegetys started with the shader mod). And culminating with vulkan.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #19
Worrazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by javipamp View Post
DCS is great but many of us are jumping into VR and we need better optimisations to enjoy the flight simulator in VR. I read in December news that you were introducing some improvements. When are we going to see them?
Many thanks.
I think some are making DCS VR sound much bigger than it is, the VR Hardware resultion cannot even compare with a 1440p let alone 4K monitor.

VR hardware is still too young to be of valid comparison to the monitors yet, ofcourse things will change and I am not against VR optimizations, but this makes people think VR is already here and equal and this is creating too high expectations for newcomers, I hope this is notified the readme's and docs, I haven't looked yet.

It's like Early Access, I think VR in DCS should be designated as such as well, one is the hardware it self which isn't ED's job, and the other are optimizations, which we're getting and is being done already so it's kinda not valid to bother more, check the newsletters.

Even with those optimizations, the VR hardware is still a large piece of the puzzle.

Even with the VR hardware then you need 4-6x the beef in your PC than you have now.

It will take years when VR is mature, I don't mind excitement, but if it's overkill it's going to make many people disappointed, especially some real-world pilots who never were into games, they don't know the state and the history of PC hardware, they think they'll jump into a futuristic fighter, only to be surprised by some minecraft block pixels, well at least according to CW Lemoine's VR flight he said he could hardly read any cockpit text at all.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 12-26-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #20
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrazen View Post
I think some are making DCS VR sound much bigger than it is, the VR Hardware resultion cannot even compare with a 1440p let alone 4K monitor.

VR hardware is still too young to be of valid comparison to the monitors yet, ofcourse things will change and I am not against VR optimizations, but this makes people think VR is already here and equal and this is creating too high expectations for newcomers, I hope this is notified the readme's and docs, I haven't looked yet.

It's like Early Access, I think VR in DCS should be designated as such as well, one is the hardware it self which isn't ED's job, and the other are optimizations, which we're getting and is being done already so it's kinda not valid to bother more, check the newsletters.

Even with those optimizations, the VR hardware is still a large piece of the puzzle.

Even with the VR hardware then you need 4-6x the beef in your PC than you have now.

It will take years when VR is mature, I don't mind excitement, but if it's overkill it's going to make many people disappointed, especially some real-world pilots who never were into games, they don't know the state and the history of PC hardware, they think they'll jump into a futuristic fighter, only to be surprised by some minecraft block pixels, well at least according to CW Lemoine's VR flight he said he could hardly read any cockpit text at all.

Not years. 2019 is the year that 2D gaming for flight sim comes to an end*. It's already fantastic in VR. Albeit you need a beefy machine like you said. But that's been true of every sim of every generation. Microsoft Flight Simulator was *THE* benchmark of PC compatibility back when clones were all over the place.

And every PC I've ever wanted for *ANY* PC generation (for flight sim use) was over $3,000 US$. It was true when Compaq released the 386. It was true when Austin computers released the 486. It was true of the last PC I built using z370 MB.

When you fly in VR, it's not about the eye candy of the pictures. OF COURSE it would be wonderful to have as much eye candy as 2D game. But what you're arguing is that you'd rather see the Pyramids, Jordan's Petra, Grand Canyon in 4K resolution on your monitor instead of *being* there.

That's what VR brings to the table. Being *IN* the plane. *IN* the air. *IN* the dogfight. *IN* the bombing run.

* I'm counting on Vulkan coming out in 2019, and helping with VR optimization. Hence the claim. Time will tell.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vr improvements