VR IMPROVEMENTS - Page 19 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #181
Nightstorm

After coming across this thread yesterday I made the changes to my graphics.lua for 'stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true'.

I saw an immediate improvement in performance. Increased my FPS to 45 in my Reverb with most settings maxed out and frametime down to 15-20ms. It is extremely playable most of the time.

I didn't notice any significant graphic glitches. I think I might have seen a couple on the very periphery of my vision but they were gone before I could even attempt to focus on them. The rest of the time looking around it's fluid and normal looking. So win in my book.
Nightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #182
Harlikwin
Veteran

Might have to try that out again, though I don't have any real issues with the Reverb performance wise.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #183
Alec Delorean

The current downside of 'stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true' is the problem with post fx like heat blur and cockpit lights, which are only rendered in one eye. Would be cool if this would be fixed by ED.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #184
rrohde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Delorean View Post
The current downside of 'stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true' is the problem with post fx like heat blur and cockpit lights, which are only rendered in one eye. Would be cool if this would be fixed by ED.
+1

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter /w SCG-R Premium (side mount)

rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:19 AM   #185
jross194

At the risk if jinxing it...after reading this post and someone mentioned they [too] had an Odyssey+, I tried the stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true; thing.

Danged if it didn't seem to boost perf a bit. Almost afraid to say it but, it went up about 20%. Nothing else changed in my system/setup. No visual artifacts noted so far.

Or maybe it was something else, in a recent update [open beta]? Was worth a try. This isn't with a real heavy object load (my standard I-have-only-a-few-minutes-so-do-stuff mission).

No nVidia driver updates: they never seem to have any affect on my system anyway - why don't they 'optimize' for DCS? - don't answer that...)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #186
Nightstorm

Quote:
Yea I noticed this just last night. First time I'd tried turning on the cockpit flood lights. They were only rendered in my right eye. The panel lighting is rendered in both.

Agreed it would be really nice to have that fixed.

I don't fly a lot at night, but I think I'll have to be setting the option off when I do.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #187
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=249511

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Hey guys, I know most have been waiting for some info on VR Improvements, this is what I have.

While our initial tests showed up to 50% increase in test conditions, it could not be duplicated by most customers. Some customers saw improvements, but it appears that this is dependent on machine specs. After analyzing the VR performance data, it was determined that in order to make large VR performance gains, it would need to be part of a more encompassing engine improvement that includes Vulkan. We will continue to improve performance where we can, but right now the move towards a larger engine improvement is required and being worked on.

Thanks all, I know its not the best answer, but we want to be honest and show that we are not giving up on it, but realize that bigger changes will be needed for moving forward.
Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Discord BIGNEWY#8703
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #188
The Falcon

Quote:
Hi, I haven't tried vr yet, could you explain to me what you see when something is rendered only in one eye?
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #189
Nightstorm

In the example of the cockpit flood lights, if you close your left eye you see them, if you close your right you don't. Both eyes open and it looks odd to you and in my case would give me a headache. It's hard to describe, as in stereo vision you see the cockpit as you should, but the lighting looked almost transparent. So I turned them off and turned the console back lighting on.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #190
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
So how soon is Vulkan coming? 2 weeks, 1 year, 5 years? A very 'ish answer is requested.

Tags
vr improvements