Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #11
A10Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
Uh no.

BEFORE TAKEOFF CHECKLIST

Step 2. "Flaps - Set for takeoff."
..and all real pilots know every checklist is ALWAYS followed to a T.

I stand corrected internet expert..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
A10Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
lobo**

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10Yoda View Post
Run up full thrust with brakes on and do not lower flaps to takeoff position until 140 knotts..

You're welcome..

(if you are forgetting to drop your flaps until 140 knots) A checklist would fix that...

Last edited by lobo**; 09-17-2019 at 03:28 PM.
lobo** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
A10Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo** View Post
A checklist would fix that...
Lol..

A10Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
=Panther=

I know you found the reason, but I would recommend a lower fuel value if you're going to load the thing to the max. Take a sip of fuel in flight if you need maximum fuel.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Twitch Channel
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC
=Panther= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 AM   #15
Faelwolf

Definitely check your brake setup and make sure they are releasing completely. Some pedals don't play well with DCS, like the Saitek Combat Pros. It can take a lot of tweaking to get them working right, and even then it's double-tap to make sure the sim got the release input from them. I ended up having to set one pedal toe brake to control both as an alternate to keep from veering off the runway on takeoff and landing, as I never know which brake will still be half on......
Faelwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #16
DefineHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.P. Hill View Post
That said, I used to be able to take off with a full load of Mavericks and GBU 12s in the A10C from just about any place on the Caucasus map. Lately that has all changed. I can’t get enough airspeed (around 125 knots which is what it used to fly at) to lift off even from Batumi with a full load.

snip

I have noticed that the airspeed takes a while to get passed 50 knots and builds much more slowly than it used to. When I do reach 125 knots and pull back on the stick to rotate, it doesn’t even start to rotate. ( It used to) The elevator is responding normally though. Has anyone noticed this also?
Not really how it works. 1) The speed you rotate at is not the one you take off with. It's usually about 10kts less than your take-off speed. 2) That speed is dependent on weight, density altitude, temperature, wind, etc and is not static across maps, missions, or loadouts. You can use a bunch of performance charts to figure out not only your rotation speed, but your climb out speed and roll distance. It'll provide you with a better idea of how 'things are done'. Finally, 3) It doesn't take it a while to get past 50 knots, that's just indicated airspeed catching up on the lack of flow given to the probe. Get the CDU to display your ground speed from taxi to roll and you'll see what I mean.

Maybe if you provided us with the mission you can't take off on, or at least its weather data and your weapons/fuel weight, we can help you with specifics. In so far as controls being a possible issue, you can just hit Right Ctrl + Enter to see if brakes or the throttle are actually holding you back, but I kind of doubt it's not just an overweight hog.
DefineHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #17
lobo**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefineHuman View Post
Not really how it works. 1)
Maybe if you provided us with the mission you can't take off on, or at least its weather data and your weapons/fuel weight, we can help you with specifics. In so far as controls being a possible issue, you can just hit Right Ctrl + Enter to see if brakes or the throttle are actually holding you back, but I kind of doubt it's not just an overweight hog.
His brakes were dragging.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #18
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefineHuman View Post
2) That speed is dependent on weight, density altitude, temperature, wind, etc and is not static across maps, missions, or loadouts.
In this case, you're referring to ground speed, aren't you?

For takeoff speed, AFAIK A-10 pilots really only need to know the speed in KIAS. And in this regard, the only factor to take into account is aircraft gross weight.

Of course in order to calculate the takeoff ground roll as well as continuation and refusal speeds and so on, all of the above plus runway length and runway condition must be taken into account. But the takeoff speed itself only depends on gross weight, and is calculated as indicated airspeed, not ground speed, to the best of my knowledge.

Edit: Oh, and like lobo said, OP already figured it out, the brakes were partly on.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:26 AM   #19
Whiskey11

Quote:
There must have been an update somewhere in either windows, or something else. I had the same problem and had to reset my T-Flight pedals to default in Windows to get them to STOP dragging.

Aircraft and Stuffs:
F-14B | F/A-18C | AV8B | F5E | A-10C | BF-109K4 | FW-190D | P-51D | FC3 | PG | Normandy | WW2AP | CA
Whiskey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #20
DefineHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
In this case, you're referring to ground speed, aren't you?

For takeoff speed, AFAIK A-10 pilots really only need to know the speed in KIAS. And in this regard, the only factor to take into account is aircraft gross weight.

Of course in order to calculate the takeoff ground roll as well as continuation and refusal speeds and so on, all of the above plus runway length and runway condition must be taken into account. But the takeoff speed itself only depends on gross weight, and is calculated as indicated airspeed, not ground speed, to the best of my knowledge.

Edit: Oh, and like lobo said, OP already figured it out, the brakes were partly on.
Nah didn't mean GS. An example: in high density-altitudes airfoils require more speed (equating to a larger mass of air) to develop lift, extending the ground roll and requiring a high climb angle if there are obstacles past the runway. I think we're saying the same thing there. Rotation is really all about creating a positive AoA, it's why the front gear tends to feel 'glued' to the runway if the ground roll's unnecessarily extended, but if rotating before Vr the wing will stall and may even cause enough drag for the plane never to reach its climb speed. But takeoff speed is certainly not dependent only on gross weight, it will vary with those variables, and therefore rotation speed is also not only dependent on gross weight. If a headwind can shorten your ground roll, then is weight the only contributing factor? Ground roll, rotation, and climb speed are all linked.

If you're interested, I recommend you check out Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langweische, it really helped explain AoA to me.

Quote:
Yeah I figured that out after I posted lol, I'll keep that post there since it discusses some unrelated misconceptions, even if my foot's slightly in my mouth at the end.
DefineHuman is offline   Reply With Quote